Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Did people really and truly believe that if they elected Biden in the primary and elected him in the general that he'd serve 1 term and then step down because "he's too old"? Or were they just not thinking that hard about it?

Because I remember age being a thing in the 2020 election and vague hand waiving over him only serving 1 term but anyone who thought that was really going to be a thing seems like they were being incredibly naive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think that was more of a "it wasn't 1400 civilians a bunch of them were IDF" comment, though I have not kept up to date on what the numbers have really panned out to be

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Main Paineframe posted:

Alternatively, in this hypothetical alternate timeline where the Democratic candidate did better in 2016 or the GOP candidate did worse, the GOP might have lost more Senate seats during the 45th president's administration, allowing Dems to take the Senate and hold votes on Hillary's candidates. Alternatively, Mitch might have seen his Supreme Court gambit failing to produce results, and settled for a moderate compromise candidate, rather than risking losing the Senate to Dems without any way to obstruct them from appointing their dream candidates.

Alt-history is rarely a genuinely productive avenue, but it's not difficult to come up with ways in which things could perhaps have gone differently if things were different!

Since it was replacing Scalia at the very least the conservative wing of the SC would have been down a member if McConnell decided to keep blocking nominations by a Democratic president

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i am only around and annoying you because of IVF. I think going after IVF is bigger gently caress up then killing roe because even alot of pro life types are fine with it. My big prolife catholic god parents are cool with IVF.

I know why, but i dont know why people like her even try anymore. like yeah its about power, but your better off trying to fracture the part and be queen of some faction then taking over this poo poo. all your doing here is losing the moderates who think your good. just lol. I get its a race to the right with the GOP now, but like holy poo poo lady, these people arnt gonna pick you, dont bother with them.

I think they've convinced themselves they believe it. The people who are faking it are slowly being either assimilated or driven out

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

koolkal posted:

They are, but Dems have been running pretty poorly in special elections for the last 6 months:

To add some more detail:

In the first 6 months of 2023 (20 elections), the Dems ran +6.75% vs. 2020. In the post-September elections to present day (22 elections), the Dems are running -1.45% against 2020. There's been a huge shift in special election performance over the course of 2023.

Does that matter what and where the elections were? Like some I’d assume democrats (or republicans) would never have a chance in no matter the national leaning politics. Is the shift because of shifting national voting patterns or because more recent special elections just favored republicans

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I suspect, but without obvious hard evidence, that if you swapped "US Government" for "China's Government" in the structure of TikTok and ByteDance then a lot of people defending it would instead be pretty critical and skeptical.
Just because it's not the US government doesn't mean it's all a good thing, I think people should be highly skeptical of a setup like the one between ByteDance and China's government and not dismiss it because "the US is bad" and "I like this thing".

That all said, I don't know if this legislation is particularly useful or overreacting or the stated reasons are cover for more nefarious reasons. Just that saying "but the NSA spies on US citizens and other countries too!" isn't some gotcha that absolves the Chinese government for doing that. We can say "both of these things are bad and shouldn't be done!"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The huge violent crime wave that started in late 2020 and continued through early 2023 seems to be abating.

I believe the conservative "counterpoint" to this is "crimes just aren't being reported anymore that's why the data says crime is down, but it's actually up higher than ever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gripweed posted:

Doesn’t that make it way worse to not release the tapes?

That also seems bad to me, the executive branch refusing to release information to Congress because they think Congress is being mean to them. Very Trumpy

Feels like you're trying to play gotchas here and making somewhat elaborate reasons why "this is bad for Biden".

The House committee is on a fishing expedition and are more likely to use the tapes to cut up soundbites than anything legitimate. Other than that, it's not something the public cares about and doesn't "look bad for Biden" unless you're looking for ways to raise that position

e: I mean "because I think this is how it should be" is certainly an answer but not a really important one?