Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Caros posted:

In case you are wondering what caused these neurons to fire, one of the democrats was in the hospital when this vote was scheduled, specifically because they wanted to take advantage of it.

They wheeled Al Greene into the house in a wheelchair to cast his vote. Now MTG thinks they have secret votes, because she is an idiot.

Womp Womp.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does the world, separate from the demands of market capitalism, need or benefit from infinite additional illustrated batman stories?

Like, the reason things keep.getting reset is people want the original stories more. They want to hear about Peter Parker getting bit by a spider but there's a limit to how much spider man past that they want to hear.

I think this is part of why superhero movies are.flopping lately. They're played out. Everything people want to see they can see now. There are enough (moving) pictures of spider man to satisfy all desire for such; there's simply no marginal gain to be had from further films.

Spiderman gets reset because Sony needs to keep making Spiderman movies in order to avoid fully losing the IP rights to Disney. Nobody really wants to spend their entire career playing Batman, either. These parts are starmaking, but physically difficult, frustrating, and often shallow.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I dunno, a lot of the reason Trump's speaking isn't in the news is because people who aren't on the Trump train would rather get electroshock therapy than actually listen to it. It's just stream-of-consciousness turboracism and sneering stupidity.

Biden, having lost a step, was almost no one's real first choice to do much of anything but be rid of Trump.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

When gambling becomes broadly legal and available it always has huge consequences. "Pokeys" (slot machines) are everywhere in Australia and they have an epidemic of gambling addiction that springs from them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/world/australia/australians-gambling-betting-machines.html

It's not an accident that sports gambling aggressively targets 18-29s. Mass "degenerate" gambling is unavoidable when there are fifty ads an hour for it and every news site publishes betting recommendations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm glad the Republican response has gone from meandering slop to absolutely unhinged.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

WH 40k hive world when

Well, on one hand, we live in a sewer where all the water is chemical factory runoff, we can get some low-end soilent green if we're lucky, and the indigenous man-eating monsters who lived here before there was ever a human are now thriving.

On the other hand, we don't pay rent.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

From what I understand, being very tired is functionally the same as being drunk in terms of motor skills and decision-making.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Netanyahu more or less openly supported Trump during the 2020 election. I wonder if that will hold in 2024, given Biden's near-total support for Israel's genocide campaign.

Trump is not on the same page as far right hawks right now, probably because Netanyahu dared to recognize Biden as winner of the election, never mind that Netanyahu openly endorsed Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/us/politics/trump-israel-conservative.html

Trump’s Call for Israel to ‘Finish Up’ War Alarms Some on the Right
Recent remarks he made urging an end to the Gaza conflict, with no insistence on freeing Israeli hostages first, were another departure from conservatives’ support for Benjamin Netanyahu.

quote:

But there is no getting around the division between Mr. Trump and congressional Republicans, who seem to be competing to see who can more ostentatiously demonstrate support for Mr. Netanyahu’s government. They are flying to Israel to meet with Mr. Netanyahu, planning to invite him to address Congress and generally urging Israel to do whatever it takes, for as long as it takes, to annihilate Hamas.

In contrast, Mr. Trump’s hedging commentary to Israel Hayom is only the latest in a long line of public statements he has made to undercut Mr. Netanyahu, whom he has still not forgiven for congratulating Mr. Biden as the winner of the 2020 election.

In 2021, Mr. Trump told the Axios journalist Barak Ravid that he had concluded that Mr. Netanyahu “never wanted peace” with the Palestinians.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

I would like to think that the myth that "Lieberman killed the public option" died when he did, but I guess that's not the case. Max Baucus, chair of the Finance Committee & who was given the task of creating the Senate ACA bill by Obama, killed the public option in committee; it never got a floor vote in the Senate (by design).

Lieberman voted against lowering the Medicare age to 55, which was as opposed by the health-insurance industry at the time as the public option was (and currently is), but for some reason the notion that Lieberman "killed the public option" is on up there with teflon myths like "Obama voted against the Iraq war."

(I'm ready for my posting punishment, Mr. DeKoos, but as my longtime D&D fans know, this has been an issue close to my heart, and I cannot let such myths prevail among meaningful debate & discussion.)

https://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/27/health.care/index.html

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/49912-baucus-advances-without-public-option/

Rest assured Willa we're all truly fascinated that you still hateread D&D while being unable to get basic information straight, which must truly be frustrating for your evident ego.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

While I think the abortion issue will help Dems somewhat in FL, I don't think it's going to flip a Senate seat or push the state away from the GOP.

GOP is clearly in red alert, they've seen the numbers and decided to pretend they're pro-choice.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Morrow posted:

I still treasure the stories that came out of last holiday season where people discovered that they only enjoyed it because they could stuff their faces with food.

Going on a significant diet can give you self awareness of how food has replaced other activities in your life.

Suddenly you have to develop other hobbies!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

it's flooded pretty bad here in houston. luckily my area is okay for the most part. very rainy weekend.

drat, that is a powerful diss track

Anyway, I guess Noem posting through the dog murder incident is what happens when all your handlers decide to take better jobs

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't see a lot of rewriting history in that speech, more an avoidance of how a protest movement about twice as tepid as Occupy Wall Street is seen as an existential threat to university donors, such that campus administrators have usually taken a jackboots first approach that turned it into a specter of 1968.

This truly kicked off when donors got some people fired from university leadership positions after Hill testimony around six months ago. The folks running Columbia don't want to end their careers, so they've helpfully caused a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidNir/status/1788007936289017920

She dropped out of the race weeks ago and double digit % of primary voters would still rather choose her over Trump.

Hard to tell which party is less enthused about their candidate. If the GOP candidate were anyone other than Trump, Biden would be in more trouble.