Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
We need a few thread-specific IKs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Kith posted:

thanks for volunteering

If given buttons I would only use them on current or former mods, lol.

amab

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
“Curtis and Kuby” was the last truly bipartisan talk show before things slid out of control.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

Ok, I'll bite. Gotham's corruption has been rooted out. Effective social programs have made poverty and major crimes rare to non-existent, and all super villains have been cured, reformed, or at least humanely separated from society. Gotham is in all senses of the word "fixed". What story do you tell now?

Have you heard of a book called “Red Son”?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not sure that Red Son is a great example when at least the movie version swings definitively hard at the idea of social engineering good solutions for society.

I was being cheeky.

Anyway, Biden willfully took and distributed classified docs, huh?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sounds like he took a gently caress ton of notes in note books and a bunch of those notes were on classifed stuff and were forgotten about in his gross basement or various desks".

Inside the beltway it’s called “pulling a Petraeus”.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Trump: evil genius, criminal mastermind, charge him and try to keep him off the ballot

Biden: doddering, yells at clouds, no jury would convict harmless paw-paw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Linking the documents investigations to the ballot access question is pretty disingenuous. Stacking nuclear secrets next to the toilet isn't why Colorado is trying to boot Trump

Yes obvs, it was just a funny juxtaposition of the competing narratives all popping off this week.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
The Stormshadow GI Joe comic remains one of the best ever.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

That is not what the report said. It's what a big chunk of the media is reporting, irresponsibly, and it's almost certainly what the report writer wanted to imply, but they mostly aren't prosecuting because the evidence was insufficient.

I guess it’s somewhat semantic, but the report cites airtight evidence that he did the crime. The decision not to prosecute was based on “aggravating and mitigating factors” - basically, he was transparent about it, returned what he took, and didn’t hinder the investigation.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Trazz posted:

Do you think this will matter when Trump goes to jail?

It will, because I maintain that Haley wipes the floor with Biden in a general.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
USCE 2024: “Wanna fight?" came out as "Wanna gently caress?"

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

koolkal posted:

The big reason it's in the news is due to the special prosecutor's report. He was hired by Garland, who Biden himself picked.

Blaming this on Republicans is silly. Biden shot himself in the foot.

More than that - the law requires a full report be written to the AG, and with Biden on tape admitting he had classified information in 2017, the special prosecutor had to make a case defending the decision not to recommend charges. He can’t just explain it verbally in a conference room or whatever, it must be written down.

Garland had the leeway to not publish the report, or release a redacted version, but chose to release it in full.

Also guys like the purpose of D&D is educational, not to gleefully dunk on people cmon

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Living in that region, the political ads for that special election have been even more obnoxious than usual, I won’t miss them.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Yeah to be clear I think Hur I'd the one acting unreasonably here the same way Comey was unreasonable in 2016 - either put someone on trial or not, but declining to put them on trial while excoriating them to the press is just prosecuting them in a different court where they don't have the same rights to defend themselves or clear their name. It gets into "innocent until proven guilty" territory imo.

Putting aside the fact that Comey was put in a weird grey area as an investigator given charging authority because Bill Clinton torpedoed Lynch’s credibility, I’ll point out again that a Special Prosecutor is required by law to write a full report. Hur literally had to write down his reasoning for deciding not to charge, given the clear evidence that Biden knew he had classified information. If anyone is “responsible” for putting bad stuff out about team blue’s leader, it’s Garland. He has the leeway to not release the report, or redact parts of it. I imagine he didn’t want either the heat, or the inevitable subpoena requests from the House, that would result from not releasing the full report.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like yeah its about power, but your better off trying to fracture the part and be queen of some faction then taking over this poo poo. all your doing here is losing the moderates who think your good. just lol. I get its a race to the right with the GOP now, but like holy poo poo lady, these people arnt gonna pick you, dont bother with them.

She’s just positioning herself to be picked next election. And after that primary, she’ll drift to the center. Standard stuff.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Trump should have been a woman and paired with Jeb to birth the perfect Republican: Barron Bush

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Exactly right. "Economic anxiety" is just another word for what they perceive as a misalignment of the inevitable hierarchy of things. One of the core tenets of the fascist mindset is that the world consists of natural hierarchies that we should embrace rather than resist. This definitely includes racial, religious, and gender pecking orders and poor white fascists see themselves as victims of a system actively favoring minorities via unfairly granting them advantages.

This special brand of elitism is exactly why Trump won in 2016 and why the door’s open for him to win again. Sneering at a middle class that has consistently shrunk over the past 50 years, that finds cornerstones like home ownership and higher education increasingly out of reach, and telling them that what they’re feeling isn’t economic anxiety but is, in fact, racism is myopic at best. These people voted for mainstream candidates on both sides of the aisle during that timeframe, and things did not improve. They are victims, and trying to argue otherwise is absurd.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

I know he didn’t, but I envision him changing gay marriage policy the same way, as horrified Obama advisors watched. “Gay marriage? Sure, who cares about that, we should legalize it. God drat this is some good rum raisin.”

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

They already made a case saying "George W Bush gets to be president but you can't use this as the basis for any other legal argument."

The same disclaimer they slapped on Roe, yeah terrible.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

hooman posted:

If you want to talk about the overthrow of democracy, you'd be closer arguing that happened in Florida in 2000.

Yep, allowing a selective recount of cherry-picked areas of a state effectively disenfranchises the other state voters.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Manchin’s a convenient fig leaf, there are like 5 Senators behind him who wouldn’t actually vote super progressive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)