Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

zoux posted:

For lower courts. This is a different ballgame. You'd have 51 D caucus votes for a Thomas replacement.

Hang on, if it's that easy, why isn't Sotomayor retiring? She watched RBG wad up her legacy and drop it in the toilet and said "I wanna do that, too"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Goatse James Bond posted:

Ginsburg died at 87. Sotomayor is about twenty years younger. I'm not at all sure why there's an internet meme going around that she's on the brink of death.

e: Thomas is 75, Alito is 73, Roberts is the same age as Sotomayor and the funny sex number, Kagan is 63

in practice they should all be thinking about retirement but there isn't a whole lot of reason to get mad about Sotomayor specifically

She's the oldest Democratic justice. Obviously the Republicans aren't going to retire under a Democratic president.

My dad went from healthy to dead at 68 in the span of five years. I don't think we should be having the most important political decisions in the country decided on the whims of when the body of someone who's already 5 years past retirement age decides to give up. She absolutely needs to retire.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

haveblue posted:

US EV adoption is stalling out, as a lot of people who were initially enthusiastic about EVs now have one and everyone else is hesitating over concerns about range, access to charging stations, and the fact that they still cost more than comparable ICE vehicles (especially since the tax credit for EV purchases applies to very few models at this point thanks to resource sourcing and manufacturing constraints.) And the leading US EV maker is still Tesla, which has its own set of unique problems

It's a shame since those concerns have largely been solved.

Range is solved, 300 miles is about the same as a gas car (14ga * ~24 mpg). Plus you never have to take it to a gas station, just plug it in at home and you have a full "tank" every single day. So for people with access to a plug outdoors, it's actually better than gas cars.

Chargers are kind of valid, if you go on several 1000 mile road trips through the middle of nowhere without a cell phone per year. Otherwise that's already solved, too, and is only going to get easier.

Cost is still a real issue, but the median car price is about $50k and there are options at and below that price range. And plenty people spend a lot more than that.

I think the biggest problems for EV adoption are just outdated info and outright misinformation.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I ain't giving Elon a dime.

OK? Me either. My next car will probably be a Hyundai EV. There's a lot of good options and more every year.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

Charging remains an issue if you live in an apartment or other home without a garage. Those people can't just plug it in overnight.

Yeah. Charging while you shop or work seems like it will be the answer there, but we're not all the way there yet. I do see new apartment buildings near me going up with fast chargers in their lots. It'll be interesting to see how the etiquette around that works out.

I couldn't find firm numbers on like SFH (I.e. with a plug at home) versus Multifamily Dwelling proportions, but about 1/3 of Americans are renters. That leaves a ballpark 2/3 who can charge at home. So that's a lot of people who don't have that issue.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

I don't know the exact mechanics of it, but how often do people need to upgrade their electrical wiring to support charging an EV?

Basically never, I think. You just plug into your normal 120V outlet. It takes several hours to fully charge from empty, but it's plenty fast for a daily commute situation. You can pay to get a fast charger installed, but very few people will need that, probably only if you drive around for a living.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

How many of those 2/3 own condos or townhomes or dont have the electrical infrastructure?

Yeah I don't know. I tried to find numbers but couldn't. Renting seemed like an OK first order approximation.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

haveblue posted:

You can plug an EV into a normal wall outlet, but it will take a LONG time to build appreciable range.

Edit: I got bad numbers, disregard.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 13, 2024

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

while electric vehicles make sense now for some people, mass adoption of evs without fundamental changes to how americans get around is not going to be the answer.

I'm not aware of any other option. There's challenges, yes, but we can't keep driving gas cars, it's simply not an option. I would love to get to a less car dependant society (I take the bus around 90% of the time), but that has even less support than EVs.

EVs are juuust now getting to be ready for almost everyone. In 10 years they're going to be the norm and we'll be on the other side of the transition. We'll fix most of these problems, and yes, we'll introduce new ones. But we can't keep up with emissions as we have been. It's not an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The I/P thing really sucks because this admin has done a boatload of great stuff and is easily the best and most progressive presidency of my lifetime, but it's really really hard to start that conversation with, "if you just set aside the support for genocide for a moment."