Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
International rules for moving your pets are annoying and it's not even slightly consistent between countries. Australia is the worst offender because it's an island and they want to keep diseases away. But seriously read this poo poo:

https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/cats-dogs/how-to-import/step-by-step-guides/category-2-step-by-step-guide-for-dogs

Or don't because it's an insanely long list of crap you have to do and would be a complete waste of your time to even read it. And most of it costs money, the blood tests alone are probably at least $1000.

And they can apparently choose to euthanize your animal if you did it wrong.

These stupid health certificates hardly ever get accepted by the USDA the first time either because they nit pick. Like for example the rabies certificate says "Maltipoo" and something else says "Maltese mix."

It's a huge headache for everyone involved. I say if you're moving to a far away country give your pet to a family member or something if you can. If you have no other option but to bring them all I can say is good luck and you should probably have contingency plans in case something gets delayed because trust me, it probably will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I just imported a puppy from belgium he came in good.

I imported my dogs back and forth from Japan years and years ago.

It takes a hell of a lot of prep but it is absolutely doable. Don't abandon your pets unless you have to.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
most of the requirements are things you should be doing for your pets anyway - staying up to date on vaccines, parasite prevention, health/disease screening

only annoying part i've seen is the rabies FAVN can take forever and they can be ridiculously particular about it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Dixville posted:

It's a huge headache for everyone involved. I say if you're moving to a far away country give your pet to a family member or something if you can. If you have no other option but to bring them all I can say is good luck and you should probably have contingency plans in case something gets delayed because trust me, it probably will.

oh well, best just dump them on someone then. not like I loved them or was close to them or anything.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

I’ve imported a few dozen stray dogs from Iran that I use for a cheap, sustainable food source and haven’t had any problems, but I’ll take your advice OP

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
even the FAVN testing taking a while is manageable if you just schedule your poo poo right honestly

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you are right op, i purchased several invasive insects from other continents on the internet but they kept asking me to do all kinds of paperwork. they were highly motivated, ambitious lifeforms but ultimately not worth the hassle, so i released them into the local environment.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thanks for the tip op

so where did you move?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

hmm, i dont think this is the legendary thread goons have anticipated

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Guess I'll just dump them in the woods before my move

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
you say "please don't do this thing" as if there's either a moral reason or it causes you harm and then all your reasons are "YOU, perfect stranger in the aether whom i'm randomly and nonspecifically addressign, will probably find it annoying to do all this work" so why do you care op

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I'm moving to the moon with my cat and dogs.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I don’t plan on leaving America again ever anyway

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

you say "please don't do this thing" as if there's either a moral reason or it causes you harm and then all your reasons are "YOU, perfect stranger in the aether whom i'm randomly and nonspecifically addressign, will probably find it annoying to do all this work" so why do you care op

op is the pet of someone in this forum but they do not know their master's username so they are attempting to get the message through this way

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dixville posted:

These stupid health certificates hardly ever get accepted by the USDA the first time either because they nit pick. Like for example the rabies certificate says "Maltipoo" and something else says "Maltese mix."

If you own a dog with a discernable breed you deserve what you get.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol @ OP

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Abandon your pets if you move, it’s easier in every way

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Worf posted:

Abandon your pets if you move, it’s easier in every way

or if they are good pets, you can send the pets over first to make sure it's all cool and good over there where you've moving to, and have them set up your utilities and internet etc.so that's all up and running when you show up

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

u could try mindin ur own business, op

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Chief McHeath posted:

u could try mindin ur own business, op

Don’t be so violent

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
just stack them under a trenchcoat and have them fly economy class, works every time

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My dog came from Colombia, and listens to people’s commands in Spanish but pretends not to speak English so he can ignore me. He is an rear end and I love him so.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I just moved across the country with my dog? :shrug:

he's a little sore/sad from being in the car for multiple days in a row, but otherwise is was nbd

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I just moved across the country with my dog? :shrug:

i think op was talking about international moves specifically.

like i don't know if you've ever noticed this but in, for example, france dogs don't woof. they waouh. and down in mexico they guau. it's a lot to get used to, and a lot of humans unthinkingly move to another country and might prepare themselves with a few language lessons or whatever but will entirely neglect their animal's cultural adjustment needs. so the dog will move to france and not know how to speak to any other dog, which really sucks for a social animal like dogs. and cats have to learn a whole new set of secret signals in order to condescend from the window in a different culture.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 3, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

My dog came from Colombia, and listens to people’s commands in Spanish but pretends not to speak English so he can ignore me. He is an rear end and I love him so.

same with my step mom

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does she at least cook better than my dog? He just pees in the kitchen when he’s mad. I hope you don’t share a similar experience.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Je ne quoi 'woof'

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Don't worry I barely even leave my house (basement)

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

R/lifehacks

Moving with a pet can be annoying. Best to abandon them.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If you can't be bothered to disguise a pet to look like a human child maybe you should just stay put

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I once put four hats on a horse and said it was the lithuanian bobsled team, nobody at the airport gave a poo poo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

my horse took a big pew pew

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Treecko posted:

Je ne quoi 'woof'

Un miaou pour une baguette.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Worf posted:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know how a stereotypical rich lady sometimes has a whole fox as shawl, which is all kinds of messed up, but if you've got a strong back you can get anything up to an alpaca past customs that way

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Ce n'est pas la merde sur le sol

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Flowers for QAnon posted:

R/lifehacks

Moving with a pet can be annoying. Best to abandon them.

lol maybe this is a good thread

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Worf posted:

poor Freckles, thought of a-wing and died.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

skill issue imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

me when darth vader says hes on the leader but i want to be on the leader