Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

the leader:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Sorry OP kinda sounds like you just suck at having pets.

Dogs don't need to speak, they have body language.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I THINK ITS COMMUNICATING

*eats own poop*

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Moved with a pet overseas as a kid and yeh it was a brutal process which took a long time because there's a quarantine period and everything.
But Peanut was worth it :unsmith:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

my cats have eu citizenship

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Worf posted:

I THINK ITS COMMUNICATING

*eats own poop*

I used to work at a bird of prey/bat/reptile rescue that used the non-release animals for education, and we did joint events with a wolf and wolf-dog rescue.

The difference of body language and facial emotes from wolves, halfbreeds and real dogs is extremely stark.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Forgetting that a wagging tail doesn't always mean friendly is how you get bit.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Treecko posted:

Forgetting that a wagging tail doesn't always mean friendly is how you get bit.

thats why i only approach dogs when i open carry, so they read my gunslinger body lingo

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I got my steal toes on, bring it bitch!

So many people got denied mail when I worked at the post office.

You want your package? Grab your dog. I can't hold on to 70 pounds of water and keep your Rottweiler from jumping on me at the same time.

Oh their friendly don't worry about her.

Uh OK you can pick up your priority mail at the office.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

uh oh ppl going postal itt

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dixville posted:

These stupid health certificates hardly ever get accepted by the USDA the first time either because they nit pick. Like for example the rabies certificate says "Maltipoo" and something else says "Maltese mix."

If you can't get the names on paper to be the same there is 0 reason to trust your word that your pet is fine lol you sound like someone who says their dog doesn't bite right before they maul someone lmao

It's almost like these rules are specifically made for jackasses who go "ugh, I love my little furbaby, everyone should just be okay with it!" It's a pretty dang American attitude to treat safety measures as the worst because it is stopping you from doing whatever you want :allears:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol at specifying the breed instead of saying mutt.

Makes you 🤔

Hello glorious Nippon! I would like to bring my cat but it's a kaka poo. All good?

Never heard of it? *Scoff*

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 4, 2024

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Importing pets internationally is stupid bullshit. When I was like 9 in the 80s I was moving to Florida with my mom and wanted to take my pet fish, stupid orange looking goobers I named Leo and Carson although I think one was a girl. We got INTO the United States and they said we couldn't bring them in so I went to the bathroom and my mom made me flush them in the toilet and I cried for like a month straight. Stupid rear end rules.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

That's really sad but also hilarious, sorry gold fish bro

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
We did a cross-country move by car a few years ago and had our cat with us. She was pretty chill about it all until we got to Arkansas, where she had a total loving meltdown in the car. It was like she was having a fight inside her carrier. When I went to check on her, she escaped her bag and was frantically jumping back and forth between the doors and dashboard, leaving still-there claw marks and gouges. Our prior cat died suddenly from a respiratory infection, so this was all a very not-fun experience.

Fortunately, we managed to wrassle her back into her carrier and doubly fortunately this was near a major city, so we got her to an emergency vet within the hour. She received a diagnosis of "stressed the gently caress out" and we got some awesome :catdrugs: to get her through the rest of the trip. Coulda used some myself after that.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

seriously though whats up with this thread, did australia put your pupperino down or something ?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

cumpantry posted:

seriously though whats up with this thread, did australia put your pupperino down or something ?

yea they did

down UNDAH

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i just send my pets through the illegal transporter (think star track style teleportation) and dont tell the gubbamint. no red tape

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

you can send chicken hatchlings in teh mail

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i don't have pets op. no worries

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

A lot of peace corps volunteers fall in love with some mangy stray dog or cat while living in their shack, in whichever country, to alleviate their crushing loneliness. When they come back to the states, they attempt to bring the animal, and many end up trying desperately to pawn it off on the incoming volunteers after they fail to get their paperwork in order.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I just watched the movie Alien last night and was wondering about that cat. Does the cat go into cryo sleep, or whatever it is, or under normal conditions does it just wander around for months with some kind of automated food and litter set up, until they reach their destination?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Moving with children is probably inconvenient too OP. Just food for thought.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

mystes posted:

You can get rid of those too tbf

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve brought my dog between the US and another country similar to Australia in fussiness multiple times. We’re talking about like 15 hour flights. It is truly an insane amount of bureaucracy. Everyone you work with will likely fail you at least once. Some airline employee, some government official and even your vet. I basically wrote myself a playbook to keep myself sane the next time I do the process. You have to start preparing like 5 months before the trip if you’re trying to bring your dog into a more restricted country.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
simply capture your pet in your most powerful pokeball and then release them once yuou reach your new home. this doesnt have to be complicated

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I agree with you on all these points, but I want to hear the story this inspired. There's gotta be some bureaucratic heart wrenching story from this.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

mystes posted:

Loving living things is a fool's game, it's such a hassle. This is why I love nothing and no one. It's just so much easier to travel.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I get through an airport like you wouldn't believe. Speed run my life.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

syntaxfunction posted:

If you can't get the names on paper to be the same there is 0 reason to trust your word that your pet is fine lol you sound like someone who says their dog doesn't bite right before they maul someone lmao

It's almost like these rules are specifically made for jackasses who go "ugh, I love my little furbaby, everyone should just be okay with it!" It's a pretty dang American attitude to treat safety measures as the worst because it is stopping you from doing whatever you want :allears:

I think "invents whole life story and personality for you based on minimal information" is one of my favourite posting styles I've seen

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I had to move from Philadelphia to Portland with my cat (tl;dr I had a loaded gun put to my head in a robbery attempt and then found out a few hours later my fiance was pregnant and said screw Philadelphia and we're outta here for somewhere more family friendly) . I bought a special Southwest Airlines carrier for him that they designed to fit on flights. That was 2010 and I still fee guilty. He didn't move. He didn't pee. He didn't drink water. He didn't meow. He just hunkered down as close to the floor as he could and looked frozen with fear the entire time. I'd occasionally open the carrier to try to calm him down and he'd just jam his face into my hand for some attempted comfort through his panic. There was nothing I could say or do to let him know everything was ok.

But it's 2024 and he is currently staring at me from a couple feet away endlessly purring so I guess he still likes me.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Hell yeah sounds like you did everything right. Good kitty.

One of my guinea pigs chases me when I go to the refrigerator. Watch out Coleslaw I don't want to step on you.

The other one just hides in their cage. Don't worry Copper I'll get you a snack too.

They have their own little personalities and we love them to death.

Animals are fascinating and all we can do is give them the best time on earth that they have.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Treecko posted:

Watch out Coleslaw I don't want to step on you.

well now I'm upset I didn't also think of such a cool pet name.

It's a repost from me but the coolest cat name I ran into here was a yellow cat that wasn't owned by a restaurant I visited but spent every day hanging out there so he became the de facto restaurant pet. That yellow cat's name was Schoolbus and he was awesome.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hammerite posted:

I think "invents whole life story and personality for you based on minimal information" is one of my favourite posting styles I've seen

I actually invented a far more genericised strawman and generalised an entire country if you paid attention. The only thing I said about OP is they sounded like someone who isn't aware of their own pet's behaviour. So poor showing on your part really, just terrible form.

I am absolutely here for Coleslaw and travel cat stories and the like tho, those are adorable :kimchi:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You could always send them to that farm upstate, it's real nice I hear.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We moved 3 cats and a dog from North America to Central Asia. They are fine.

Zugzwang posted:

We did a cross-country move by car a few years ago and had our cat with us. She was pretty chill about it all until we got to Arkansas, where she had a total loving meltdown in the car. It was like she was having a fight inside her carrier. When I went to check on her, she escaped her bag and was frantically jumping back and forth between the doors and dashboard, leaving still-there claw marks and gouges. Our prior cat died suddenly from a respiratory infection, so this was all a very not-fun experience.

Fortunately, we managed to wrassle her back into her carrier and doubly fortunately this was near a major city, so we got her to an emergency vet within the hour. She received a diagnosis of "stressed the gently caress out" and we got some awesome :catdrugs: to get her through the rest of the trip. Coulda used some myself after that.

My cats are loose on long road trips. They usually go to sleep under a seat and stay chill.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
*unreal tournament announcer voice*
MALTIPOO

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Larry Cum Free posted:

*unreal tournament announcer voice*
MALTIPOO

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Got a form in the mail. Decided to abandon my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
I've moved both my cats across the planet twice and cross-country a few times. Maybe learn how to not suck as a person/traveler? :shrug: