Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
On a scale of one to ten, how excited are you for Jack Hermansson vs Joe Pyfer?
This poll is closed.
I have mixed feelings about the dilution of the roster but I like up-and-coming fighters 1 3.23%
Remember when Jack Hermansson heel hooked Kelvin Gastelum! That was cool! Oh my god that was four years ago 10 32.26%
The Apex is the nadir of martial arts and we never truly left its darkened clutches 6 19.35%
Is Joe Pyfer, like, a thing 6 19.35%
3 8 25.81%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Foul Fowl posted:

i'm not unhappy about that if it's true. i think he could beat gaethje (and if his chin is still there i think he's likely to) but i think it would cost him whatever longevity he still has left, for the sake of a stupid bullshit belt. he should fight topuria instead.

I think gaethje would ruin him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

LobsterMobster posted:

:siren: B-League Round-Up :siren:

ONE Championship 166 - Friday, March 1st. 7:30 AM ET, PPV

Instead of my normal method of a full card breakdown, I’m just going to talk about the stuff that sounds Pretty Interesting.

There are 3 Muay Thai and one kickboxing bout on this card, and those are usually pretty good. I was hoping we’d get some actual Thai fighters, but I’ll take whatever tiny gloves face punching is on offer.

Arjan Bhullar and Amir Aliakbari are facing off in a heavyweight tilt. This one should be fun to watch because Aliakbari is probably going to be full of around nine different illicit substances. But this fight is two heavyweight wrestlers, so it’s probably going to resemble a pair of elephant seals clashing for about thirty seconds and then they’ll just lean on each other for the rest of the fight.

Next up, Jarred Brooks defends the Flyweight title in a rematch against Joshua Pacio. Since their first bout, Brooks lost to Mikey Muscumeci in a submission grappling match, while Pacio defeated Mansur Malachiev. It’s a flyweight fight, so I expect a lot of action, both on the feet and on the ground.

In Lightweight title action, Kai Tang defends his belt in another rematch against Interim champ Thanh Le. Tang and Le had a good fight back in 2022, and a knee injury kept Tang out of running it back immediately in 2023. Le kept busy with an Interim title fight against Ilya Freymanov, submitting his opponent in just over one minute.

In the Main Event, we have another rematch, as Anatoly Malykhin takes on Renier de Ridder once again. Will Dutch grapples be able to survive against heavy Russian punches? Probably not, considering what happened last time!

It's violence morning over on Prime

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Max doesn't need more brain damage, he can retire now as one of the all time greats and most entertaining fighters on the planet, enjoy your family dude, nothing to prove

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Max doesn't need more brain damage, he can retire now as one of the all time greats and most entertaining fighters on the planet, enjoy your family dude, nothing to prove

This is correct, but...we all know how this goes.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

wow even ONE cant make a heavyweight mma fight worth watching, these fellas are just drawing a perfect circle on the ground in the least elegant way possible

Herb Dean just threatened to yellow card the both of them if someone doest try to land a god damned punch

edit: and theres the yellow card and another plead from Dean to do something

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 1, 2024

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

wait the mma card is in the morning instead of muay thai? what is happening

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
This isn't a "one Friday night" card. It's a numbered ONE event and therefore has all sorts of fights.
Also, it's in Qatar so they want to show off everything.

And Herb with the red card! Lmaoooo

I wonder how much Bhullar has fleeced from Chatri over the years.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 1, 2024

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

This isn't a "one Friday night" card. It's a numbered ONE event and therefore has all sorts of fights.
Also, it's in Qatar so they want to show off everything

And Herb with the red card! Lmaoooo

Oh they're in Qatar? Gotcha, thanks!

Kind of stupid that this goes on Aliakbari's record as a DQ win when it's more like a TKO, no?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

RedSky posted:

I think gaethje would ruin him.

yeah that's tragically likely given that gaethje seems much happier to just fight behind his jab now instead of exhausting himself throwing bombs, but i also think lightweight's kinda weirdly overrated now, and i think max's volume approach with straight punches could really gently caress gaethje up if he gets to do it for five rounds without getting knocked out. for someone who loves brawling, gaethje's weirdly uncomfortable in these in-between situations where they're resetting distance or disengaging from the clinch. i also don't think max can get him down but i think he's smart enough to know that gaethje does exhaust himself defending takedowns and grappling, and has basically been incapable of making people pay for trying to grapple him throughout his whole career. he just wants to reset and get back to striking.

i think i'm just talking myself into it but idk, i got max in that fight.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Is it normal for ONE to have refs work 2 fights in a row? Wonder if they're understaffed due to the location.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Jared Brooks now involved in 2 different Slam KOs where he loses hahahahahaha

"We've got a new champion" and we haven't told you if he's actually awake yet

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

actually gently caress, the angle they just showed made it look like he's still out cold and about to be carried out on a stretcher

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brut posted:

actually gently caress, the angle they just showed made it look like he's still out cold and about to be carried out on a stretcher

pretend i posted the "cb dolloway - winner by dq" picture of him getting wheeled out on a stretcher

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

pretend i posted the "cb dolloway - winner by dq" picture of him getting wheeled out on a stretcher

I was just thinking of that, someone needs to photoshop a ONE belt and Joshua Pacio's face on to it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Ok I know we just saw Herb give out to 2 yellow cards but this is a 5 round fight and it's like 90 seconds in to round 1, chill ref.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Are we gonna have 3 DQ's in a row?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

Are we gonna have 3 DQ's in a row?

Hoping Chatri walks in to the cage between rounds and DQs the ref actually

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is Chatri even there? Someone else was holding the belt in the ring

And, good fight! Finally some action
drat, main event already.

Expecting Malykhin to get a finish again. The drop to LHW isn't going to change anything I think.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Ugh, ONE weight classes getting me confused again.

Tapology lists all of Malykhin's previous fights as being at Heavyweight/265 (though doesn't specify what he himself weighed in at)

ONE are saying he is currently the Heavyweight and LHW champion, and this is a Middleweight fight. I know that ONE Middleweight is 205 but I'm actually not sure about the other two, is LHW 265? what is heavyweight? What weight did Malykhin actually fight at?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
There's 3 different belts in this final fight - though only one is on the line. One guy might end up with HW LHW and MW belts?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brut posted:

Ugh, ONE weight classes getting me confused again.

Tapology lists all of Malykhin's previous fights as being at Heavyweight/265 (though doesn't specify what he himself weighed in at)

ONE are saying he is currently the Heavyweight and LHW champion, and this is a Middleweight fight. I know that ONE Middleweight is 205 but I'm actually not sure about the other two, is LHW 265? what is heavyweight? What weight did Malykhin actually fight at?

I'd assume tapology is broken. One's website lists their weight classes.

HW is 265, LHW is 225, MW 205. If this guy is HW and LHW champ, that's 265 and 225.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Ah okay so heavyweight is heavyweight and they just shoved an extra one in between to cover for their scheme, makes sense.

they should have superheavyweight too like rizin

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The constant body work Malykihn put in really paid off. Every time against the cage he went to the body for 1 or 2 punches. And he got a solid 1 or 2 knees to the head in that last finishing exchange on the ground.
RDR just had nothing for him.

And I beleive this makes Malykhin the first MMA fighter in a major org to hold 3 titles at the same time.
Also, still laughing at the size of the titles

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lmao the winner interview is more exciting than the previous couple fights

mewse
May 2, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

And I beleive this makes Malykhin the first MMA fighter in a major org to hold 3 titles at the same time.

The Triple Champ! Put him on a videogame box!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Leap day gave us one more beautiful day of February, but the time has come to move to March.