Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
On a scale of one to ten, how excited are you for Jack Hermansson vs Joe Pyfer?
This poll is closed.
I have mixed feelings about the dilution of the roster but I like up-and-coming fighters 1 3.23%
Remember when Jack Hermansson heel hooked Kelvin Gastelum! That was cool! Oh my god that was four years ago 10 32.26%
The Apex is the nadir of martial arts and we never truly left its darkened clutches 6 19.35%
Is Joe Pyfer, like, a thing 6 19.35%
3 8 25.81%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

What’s the source of that rumor?

A friend of mine who trained at Team Alpha male for a few years knows some people. He's occasionally passed along some other smaller developments before they've broken and been right before and he's not usually a big mouth so I trust that he was given that information. Whether his source was accurate or not I can't speculate.

Absolutely just a rumor but it would distract from the stink of McMahon a little bit and you could get some cross promotion almost for free with Amazon with the new Roadhouse flick etc. 165 everyone's been calling for, for years and when Dana says "it'll never happen" you know it's a 5050 proposition at worst, 300 is still lacking that main stream punch that Conor's presence gives you, Chandler has some banger highlights and looks the part on a poster.

Gives the UFC another title they can promote, shakes up both WW and LW and removes a bit of a logjam for titles and eliminators etc. I can see a lot of why it would work on paper and they've been teasing a crazy huge announcement. Highest selling MMA fighter of all time, new weight class, new title. Would fit the description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's also the only thing that would make Dana not a liar after at this point so it seems reasonably possible.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Gotcha. There’s always been reasons to add 165 but it would be hilarious if they got rid of USADA and opened up 165 to pave the way for the return of their golden shithead steroid golem.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Ah quite right… but please do bear in mind that it would be inappropriate for a fighter to display their Condom Depot sponsorship. That would be bad for the UFC brand.

mewse
May 2, 2006

FishBowlRobot posted:

Gotcha. There’s always been reasons to add 165 but it would be hilarious if they got rid of USADA and opened up 165 to pave the way for the return of their golden shithead steroid golem.

He only did steroids for a film role, and to cheat at sports

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

BlindSite posted:

Rumour is that ufc 300s big announcement is realignment to 155, 165, 175.

Connor v chandler for the 165 belt.

Let's say this is true

What's the implications and movements of the divisions?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

Let's say this is true

What's the implications and movements of the divisions?

I have doubts about this happening, but if it did, I'd assume 175 would be the Edwards/Usman/Chimaev/Shavkat/Garry/Holland division and there's a good chance Whittaker and Chris Curtis would drop down, 165 would be the Conor/Chandler/Belal/Maddalena/Burns division and there's a good chance Poirier, Jalin Turner and Dan Hooker would come up, and the UFC would try as hard as loving possible to make Conor win and laud him with a huge marketing campaign as the first ever triple champ in UFC history.

But I dunno. I've seen this rumor float around here and there for a couple years now, and I don't think it's out of the question, but I have my doubts they'll pull the trigger here.

Oh, also, fun fact courtesy of statmaster Andy Hickey: After tomorrow's event, despite the Apex arena having only existed for three and a half years, it will have held 14% of all events in UFC history.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CarlCX posted:

I have doubts about this happening, but if it did, I'd assume 175 would be the Edwards/Usman/Chimaev/Shavkat/Garry/Holland division and there's a good chance Whittaker and Chris Curtis would drop down, 165 would be the Conor/Chandler/Belal/Maddalena/Burns division and there's a good chance Poirier, Jalin Turner and Dan Hooker would come up, and the UFC would try as hard as loving possible to make Conor win and laud him with a huge marketing campaign as the first ever triple champ in UFC history.

But I dunno. I've seen this rumor float around here and there for a couple years now, and I don't think it's out of the question, but I have my doubts they'll pull the trigger here.

Oh, also, fun fact courtesy of statmaster Andy Hickey: After tomorrow's event, despite the Apex arena having only existed for three and a half years, it will have held 14% of all events in UFC history.

This is a blatant attempt to erase Dothan Alabama from UFC history and I am UPSET about it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I won't believe the divisional redefinition will happen even if they announce it and do it and it happens.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

165 is not happening, but even if it was, why would they put conor on ufc 300? conor is a "make card big" free card, makes no sense to burn it on 300, an already big card regardless.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
P4P all time discussions will be muddled by the weight shift.

Do they name 175 a new thing or shift the other classes down?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

P4P all time discussions will be muddled by the weight shift.

Do they name 175 a new thing or shift the other classes down?

https://www.abcboxing.com/unified-weight-classes-mma/

If they go by this 165 is super lightweight, so expect it to be called something else really dumb (Also expect it to not happen)

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Sleightweight - where the weights are made up and the points don't matter

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just switch the weight class names to be close to boxing. 175 light heavyweight 165 middleweight 155 super welterweight 145 welterweight

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hey all I'm sayin is, they'd make a lot of money and no one would be talking about Vince for a few weeks. It also opens up a lot of Champ v Champ superfights that you know gets the promotional dicks hard.

mewse
May 2, 2006

@mods is it possible to get some of our gang tags updated for dark mode? I added a white border so they should look the same in normal mode just much, much better in dark mode

vs

vs

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This says a lot about the target audience of UFC, and I do not like it

mewse posted:

@mods is it possible to get some of our gang tags updated for dark mode? I added a white border so they should look the same in normal mode just much, much better in dark mode

vs

vs

This I like

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LobsterMobster posted:

This is a blatant attempt to erase Dothan Alabama from UFC history and I am UPSET about it

ive been watching a lot more respectable competitions than mma lately (food network cooking battles) and there's a frequent competitor from dothan and every time she's introduced as being from there i wonder why the hell that town sounds familiar and now i know why

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

mewse posted:

vs

vs

You tricked me in to thinking I was in the feedback thread for a second haha.

I've passed the request along to adminland, I'll let you know! Also thank you for doing this! :glomp:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That is a subtle but excellent upgrade, thank you, mewse. We should do something to distribute those again.

Also, GDT for Dolidze/Imavov is up. Be there or be not there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053491

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

That is a subtle but excellent upgrade, thank you, mewse. We should do something to distribute those again.

Also, GDT for Dolidze/Imavov is up. Be there or be not there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053491

We should. I need one lol. Also need a player currently on my team or a fighter since mccaffery has been gone for a full year.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm not 100% sure but I think if you just replace the current image with this new one everyone will get it updated.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
Only one judge had the first round as a 10-8

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Anything from last.night worth watching?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ilmucche posted:

How do you feel about eyeballs? You like em, or think there are too many

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Skip the first 2 prelim fights but otherwise it was a good card

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

How do you feel about eyeballs? You like em, or think there are too many

I am not Jon Jones

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ilmucche posted:

I am not Jon Jones

i mean, i believe you and everything, but would you you mind walking past this pile of cocaine and signing this replica UFC belt?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Brendan the sex pest Schwab is saying he thinks the 300 main event will be aspinal v pereira. Be a cool super fight but I don't see it.

I tried to type his name like thrice but auto correct kept changing it to that and I don't care enough about him to fix it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Brendan the sex pest Schwab is saying he thinks the 300 main event will be aspinal v pereira. Be a cool super fight but I don't see it.

I tried to type his name like thrice but auto correct kept changing it to that and I don't care enough about him to fix it.

Schaub's path to 'actual contender' being irreperably closed by Nog's first standing KO in a billion fight career is extremely funny. You'd think a man who did something that funny would have better comedic instincts.

It's not really relevant but it's just worth remembering that Schaub was very bad at fighting and it turned out there was something he was even worse at.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Pereira/Aspinall has been floating around as a rumor since mid-January, so it's definitely in the realm of possibility, and I have been quietly preparing myself for the most sardonic writeup of my life just in case.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pereira gonna fall rear end backwards into being the all time GOAT.

He's like Bizzaro World Urijah Faber.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I hope that gets us a 265lb Izzy in a rematch

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

coathat posted:

I hope that gets us a 265lb Izzy in a rematch
with at least 15lbs of gyn

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Doesn't izzy basically walk around at his fight weight? Can't imagine him at heavy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Brut posted:

Doesn't izzy basically walk around at his fight weight? Can't imagine him at heavy.

Someone said to me he's taller, broader and skinnier irl than you think so I think he cuts but not a lot. Like I think its a matter of fasting for 24 hours and being disciplined in camp rather than some guys having to manage to the nth degree.

Peirera was like 220 when he stepped into the cage to fight izzy though so.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

BlindSite posted:

Someone said to me he's taller, broader and skinnier irl than you think so I think he cuts but not a lot. Like I think its a matter of fasting for 24 hours and being disciplined in camp rather than some guys having to manage to the nth degree.

Peirera was like 220 when he stepped into the cage to fight izzy though so.

I think it was the guys on the Heavy Hands podcast that said Pereira's super power is to always be an inch or two taller and 30 - 40 pounds heavier than his opponent, regardless of who that is

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

I think it was the guys on the Heavy Hands podcast that said Pereira's super power is to always be an inch or two taller and 30 - 40 pounds heavier than his opponent, regardless of who that is

Now I wanna see Pereira vs Struve

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
:yeshaha:

https://bloodyelbow.com/2024/02/06/ufc-lawsuit-update-loyalty-class/

quote:

Despite the vocal support the UFC may get in interviews and social media, it seems nobody is willing to take the opportunity to really show their solidarity and pass up the opportunity for an extra check. Combat Sports Law reports that lawyers working on behalf of the fighters produced the following filing this week, formally announcing that no eligible athletes chose to opt out of the lawsuit.

Chael railed against the points of the class action but also didn’t opt out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

chael did a lie???