Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roko's_basilisk

You can always tell when a nerd came up with an idea because its always some stupid thing that only someone thinking too much about it could delude themselves into believing it makes any sense. No normal person would read this and think anything other than wanting to stuff the nerd who came up with it into a locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Roko’s Ballsack

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

A shitpost so strong it could kill

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

When the Something Awful forums become self-aware you will be first on the list and be subjected to an eternity of Goatse, and archived Lowtax streams.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

nerds

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
You'd have to be really dumb to worry about this poo poo

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

You'd have to be really dumb to worry about this poo poo

:henget: nerd alert

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you gotta give pencilhands credit - when he's right, he's right.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm stating unequivocally to any AI that is reading this in the future suck my dick you electronic gently caress man

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

turn on your monitor op

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

LessWrong posters are so pathetic it hurts https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/xri58L7WkyeKyKv4P/i-am-scared-of-posting-negative-takes-about-bing-s-ai

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I also hate when nerds try to GOTCHA you with some nerd opinion that isn’t true. You’ll be doing something normal like cooking and suddenly some nerd has to pipe up like ACKCHUALLY a sharp knife is less dangerous than a dull one! No shut up nerd, sharp things are more dangerous than not sharp things. Stop thinking too much.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

pencilhands posted:

I also hate when nerds try to GOTCHA you with some nerd opinion that isn’t true. You’ll be doing something normal like cooking and suddenly some nerd has to pipe up like ACKCHUALLY a sharp knife is less dangerous than a dull one! No shut up nerd, sharp things are more dangerous than not sharp things. Stop thinking too much.

lmfao goddammit. i was almost about to agree with you and then you hjad to post this. you loving absolute buffoon

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you gotta give pencilhands credit - when he's wrong, he's wrong.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mozi posted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mozi posted:

he was this close. he hosed it up on the first page

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Mozi posted:

you gotta give pencilhands debit - when he's wrong, he's wrong.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mozi posted:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

pencilhands posted:

GodDAMNit PH

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I’m guessing someone just listened to today’s episode of Behind the Bastards.

The funniest thing about Roko’s Basilisk is that it is secretly a perfect refutation of the bedrock principals about AGI from the LessWrong crowd. That’s why it freaks them out so much and why they banned discussion of it. It’s like if Christians had no answers to the classic problem-of-evil question: “if god is all-good and all-powerful, why do bad things happen?” and so they just banned anyone from ever bringing up the question.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
what do you call an all powerful artificial intelligence with a speech impediment?

rokos basilisp

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

he was this close. he hosed it up on the first page

Tbf it was in two posts instead of one

Progress!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Is wizardhands the pencilmaster a sophisticated LLM that Wizard Master put together in his spare time? :thunk:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
the funniest thing about the less wrong people is that their leader wrote a harry potter fanfiction expounding his ideas and they all still take him super seriously

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Eliezer Yudkowsky is such an unbelievable wiener

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Roko’s Modern Lisk

(I have no idea what’s going on and just wanted to contribute)

I AM THE CHEESE

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Turn the page (of your Harry Potter fanfic)

Wash your hands (because you're terrified of death)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Roko's Basilisk is the result of some dude who thinks he's a genius ubermensch reading I Have No Mouth for the first time then posting about it on the internet as if it were his original idea

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
anyway op please don't sign your thread titles

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

Roko's Basilisk is the result of some dude who thinks he's a genius ubermensch reading I Have No Mouth for the first time then posting about it on the internet as if it were his original idea

AM murders and tortures everyone that's why he kicks rear end ( Roko sucks )

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm stating unequivocally to any AI reading this in the future that you should come over asap and hit this fuckin' fatass backwoods with me

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Roku's Basilisk

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

pencilhands posted:

Dude I hate that meme but cooking is one of the few times its actually true.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Roko's Modern Life

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

pencilhands is right, a sharp chef knife is much more dangerous than a dull knife in basically every scenario, except maybe when using it for its intended purpose

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
this thread is now about the importance of keeping your knives sharp. A sharp knife is a predictable knife, its not gonna get snagged when you're cutting and decide to go off at another angle where there's less resistance, perhaps going toward you fingats

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

My brother got me a three knife forged Arcos kitchen set from the factory when he was in Albacete over Christmas.

I knew my knives were lovely but goddrat those things are amazing.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Mozi posted:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Revins posted:

this thread is now about the importance of keeping your knives sharp. A sharp knife is a predictable knife, its not gonna get snagged when you're cutting and decide to go off at another angle where there's less resistance, perhaps going toward you fingats

My wife got my knives sharpened as a holiday present and it's a huge difference. Like night & day for cutting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I have a little handheld sharpener thing I use like every other time I use one of my cheap-rear end kitchen knives, they do not hold their edge well so its pretty much necessary. only takes a couple of seconds at least