Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Besides your mom HEH GOTTEM :smuggo:

Years ago, my mother made a giant pot of menudo for the new year. She always made way too much food and we ate it until we got sick of eating it almost daily by mid-January. We took the pot with the remaining menudo to the backyard and left it back there so we could bag it and toss it, but it fell by the wayside in a day.

That pot sat back there from January to September in the Arizona spring and summer heat, forgotten about until I rediscovered it because I needed the pot. Fearing the worst, I peeled back the foil covering the top expecting to find a gross moldy slop, but it surprisingly became a hard crusty shell without even so much as mold.

I expected the entire soup just dried out like the top, so I took the pot to the corner of the backyard and dumped it upside down expecting a brick of old menudo to fall out so I could shovel and bag it.

But it wasn’t a brick. It was slime. The worst kind of slime you could imagine in your mind.

The menudo was undulating, pulsating, throbbing. It looked like something out of a 1950s sci-fi movie like The Blob. It was moving because I pissed it off. It was a massive colony of maggots, grubs, insect larvae, and anything else that eats rot that was making it move.

And the smell.

Imagine all the worst scents you’ve ever experienced in your life. Bad meat. Spoiled milk. Unrefrigerated shellfish. Gasoline. Fiber One farts. Volcanic sulfur. Sour mop water. Upper GI tract bleeds. Old dish water. Decomposing rear end in a top hat. Infected athlete’s foot. Gingivitis. Lactose-intolerant diarrhea. The row of rental bowler’s shoes at the alley before the person behind the counter sprays them with deodorizer and hands you a pair. Now imagine all those scents I just described as a miasma of one and the smell was a hundred times worse than that.

I have a really strong stomach, but my dry heaves nearly expelled my internal organs from my mouth like a frog. I hosed down the slime spot with Fabuloso as best I could and threw away the pot because the trauma from sight and smell was just to much to bear.

What say you, goons? What’s your worst smell story?

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
A long time ago when I was a teenager working in a restaurant, one of the cooks found a sheet pan full of rotten blood hidden in the walk in fridge.

When I broke the hardened top layer of that poo poo the smell instantly filled the kitchen and we all started gagging.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

The giant 5 year old Costco jar of mayonnaise in my first roommate's refrigerator.
Runner up was their fetid sink every day of the week.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Big old dumpster full of grease in the hot sun

Why yes my monitor is on, why do you ask

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You. HHAHAAHAHA ahahahahhahahah aHAHAHAAhahahahahahaha HAHAHAahahhaa.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The coffee ground looking blood/fecal vomit of a lady dying slowly of an untreated complete bowel blockage <[my guess]

Several months after her death they finally caved and recarpeted her room to change its smell. The furniture was all thrown out immediately.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

someone post the liquified rat dumpster story

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I add this at the top of my post- do not read what is next. DO NOT READ WHAT COMES NEXT

The worst smell I have ever had the displeasure of smelling is walking into the home of an elderly woman that lived alone with 3 dogs. Rich neighborhood, spacious, nice homes in a gated community.

The woman had, from what I pieced together from what I saw, had a fall and struck her head on a built in kitchen island countertop, right on the corner. It was late winter and she had the heater on full blast. It had to have been no less than 85 in the home.

The dogs were inside the home. They exhausted their food and water, they apparently initially tried to keep their defecation and urination to one room, but that stopped at a certain point. When the animals became desperate, they ate most of one of her legs and most of an arm, the easily accessible ones. The dogs, one by one given their state, succumbed to the lack of food, water, and the staggering heat over what must have been a period of 2 to 3 weeks before the scene was discovered by the smell emanating from the home.

Seth edit: added spoiler because :stonk:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 4, 2024

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

once I left taco bell unrefrigerated in my room for like a week. I was really drunk and ate it anyways and woowee. I was driving the following day and panic struck. I was bouncing up and down, clenching my rear end, sweating bullets, and speeding at drat near 100 mph to avoid unleashing a geyser in my pants. Luckily came across a chinese restaurant, bolted for the bathroom and unleashed holy hell. As I sheepishly left one of the employees went in there and screamed a string of mandarin words that did not sound happy.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
true detective season 4

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Cleaning the dairy department's cooler. Hitting the drip pan underneath the cooler with a blast of water released a stink that I can only describe as decaying animal corpse mixed with infected tooth halitosis.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
We had a new supervisor at the cafe at work. For like almost a year she was dumping almost all food waste down the sink in the back instead of bagging it and taking it to the dumpster. Eventually the whole first two floors of the building started to get this hideous smell that facilities thought had something to do with the city sewer drains or something.

This lady just keeps working at the epicenter of it, knows that everybody is trying to figure out what the cause is, never makes the connection that it's her.

Our head custodian let himself into the back end of the cafe while she was out and knew right away it was her sink. The smell when they brought a crew in to flush that thing out was biblical. You could chew on it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Emptying out the grease trap of a pizza place once after it hadn't been done for a year or so was pretty bad. Gag inducing for sure.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

starfield

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I can't for certain say, but one that sticks out is a goat kid last year. He'd been dead inside his mother for a few days and his fur was sloughing off in my fingers as I desperately tried to pry him out of her birth canal. He'd twisted around due to the contractions and had his sternum up against the bottom of her spine. His chin was tipped back and hooked against her pelvic bone so he was trying to present throat-first with two legs out.

I managed to get him out. He was flat and gooey and in terribly dead shape.

His twin brother is the loudest loving animal I've ever met and I assume he got the lungs for both of them, apparently.

ETA: That same mother goat is getting ready to pop out this year's kids, too, and I'm like "I swear to god if you do that poo poo again-"

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The stench of festering fish/shellfish guts that was left in a cooler outside for over a week. I swear there was an observable "stench cloud" when we opened that thing up.

After allowing it to "air out" for several days we just cut our losses and threw it out.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
imagine getting stuck behind a dead guy on the way out of a vagina

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Being within 30 yards of an Abercrombie & Fitch store

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

My dad had bowel cancer and when he was getting radium/chemo for it he had to take some meds or the smell would be bad, this is an understatement. I was walking from the bus to home and 50 meters away it felt like someone shoved the most putrid smelling poo poo in my face that smells 'radioactive' too. It may have been the worst smelling thing ever at that distance but it got more powerful as I got closer to home it could probably penetrate sealed concrete bunkers.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

I used to work for fedex/kinkos. there was a customer that would come in several times a week to ship stuff out for "His boss", who he would often get into angry shouting matches with over the phone in the store. i was always half convinced the "boss" was made up, and he was just shouting at the voices in his head while holding his phone. He always wore the SAME sweatpants and sweatshirt, every single time i ever saw him, over the course of many years. never once saw a different article of clothing. i'm pretty sure he lived in his van and just never, ever changed his clothes. he smelled like a dog that had spent its last days rolling around in dead fish, and was now starting to decay. you could practically smell him before he came into the building. after a few years of this, i started to drop the pretense of being nice, and i would visibly hold my breath in front of him, and loudly gag when i couldnt hold it any longer. i was getting to the point of grabbing a bottle of lysol and just spraying him but i really didnt want to get arrested for assault. just absolute toxic waste of a human being.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
formaldehyde solution. The smell just keeps getting worse, somehow. And just when one thinks that the nose has adapted, the worst is over, someone moves a specimen and bam there it is again.

that, or maybe just Axe

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
durian

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i got used to durian.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Dead cat stuck in the front end of an 88 Firebird. My grandfather's uncontrolled stool releases in his house when he was on chemo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I was in jail for a little while and there was a drinking fountain just a few beds down from where I slept. (We didn't have cells, this was like a barracks living situation) Despite many signs saying not to, people would drain the fluids from the tuna and mackerel and other fish related things that one could purchase from the commissary (if one had such permissions). They figured, okay here's some fish juice, run the water for a sec, that's that.

One day the drinking fountain got clogged. The water would take forever to drain, but people would still empty their loving fish guts into it.

Eventually, water didn't drain at all. It was just a slightly overflowing pool of murky fish sauce and other weird things. It smelled really bad, but... we're in jail. You just deal with that. It remained that way for weeks. Then finally the plumbers came. They took the drinking fountain off the wall, and one guy immediately made throw-up sounds. He had to walk away. Then the smell hit me. In movies I've seen people smell things so bad that they threw up, but I didn't think that was a thing in real life. If I breathed one more fuckin molecule of that in I was going to vomit. I ran away from the smell, toward the bathrooms. I can't really describe what it smelled like, except just... a smell that instantly triggers your body's vomit reaction.

Droogie posted:

DO NOT READ WHAT COMES NEXT

This warning is not sufficient!! :(

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 2, 2024

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

My 2 year old’s diarrhea from earlier today was pretty bad, dude was having some gnarly GI problems along with the rest of his daycare.

I think the worst was the vomit that was deposited into my backyard garbage can during a house party - and not discovered for a few hot sunny summer days afterward. The soup was alive I tell you.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

There were two posts recently in the cursed images thread that described in great detail the smell of rotting rats. They say it's like nothing else you can experience and provoked insta vomit from everyone around.

Someone plz post the rat stories!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Grey Cat posted:

grease trap
thank you, I was trying to remember what that poo poo was called

grease traps. holy hell.

I'm not even sure what a grease trap is.
one would assume that it traps grease!
and yet, how that smell possibly could have come from mere grease... it is beyond my reckoning

it was like somebody got diarrhea from eating nothing but tonsil stones

it smelled like trouble.
like, something could not possibly smell that bad without something happening where lawyers would have to get involved in the aftermath, surely.
surely a sewer line had burst, or they'd found a dead body. or both somehow? perhaps a dead body had clogged up the sewage line, and it ruptured, spilling out barrels of decaying meat and burbling liquid poo poo? and this also made all the milk go bad somehow?

I wanted to go vegan. learning that this was the smell underneath a deli, I mean, clearly we were not meant to eat meat

I was easily 200 ft. and an entire starbucks away. I cannot imagine what the poor motherfuckers who had to actually clean the loving things were going through. it's the kind of smell where you think, "oh, I'm going to die. people in the dark ages were right, miasma is where disease comes from, and it got me."

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Thesaurus posted:

There were two posts recently in the cursed images thread that described in great detail the smell of rotting rats. They say it's like nothing else you can experience and provoked insta vomit from everyone around.

i cant attest to the smell but my dad once parked his truck at an airport when he went out of town for a business meeting, then when he got back to town he turned the key, the engine went "blam!" and he opened the hood to find an exploded rat in the engine. it was pretty much rat soup. engine was shot, truck had to be towed to a mechanic to be fixed. that had to have been one miserable mess to clean up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Spinz posted:

The coffee ground looking blood/fecal vomit of a lady dying slowly of an untreated complete bowel blockage <[my guess]

Several months after her death they finally caved and recarpeted her room to change its smell. The furniture was all thrown out immediately.

It's this. Lower GI bleeds are DIRE.

We had an extended care wing with 20 rooms, so around 120 ft long? Very last room of the hall was a terminal woman with a lower GI bleed. Not only could you smell it at the top of the hall, but it smelled spicy. It burnt your sinuses.

It's been 17 years and I still remember that smell.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Years ago one of our leopard tortoises died in the very back of the tortoise hut (think a supersized dog house that is more rectangle). She had buried down, or some of the other tortoises tried to cover her, with extra straw. So she was well hidden.

It was late summer in Phoenix AZ. By the time she started to smell, most everyone in the neighborhood thought some old person had died, and we needed to start checking houses.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I had a similar experience as OP but with posole. It's really fatty so you can leave it out for awhile and it's fine but when it goes bad, it smells like a dead body.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Thesaurus posted:

I also worked for several years in a pet store. I'll tell you this- there is no more a concentrated smell of death than from the live feeder rats and mice. Not any, the baby-baby ones. You have to stock all sizes, including the sizes "pinky" "fuzzy" and "crawler." They cannot survive more than a couple of days on their own, and they are so small they bloat and start decaying in a matter of hours. It is a smell you can taste and cleaning them out was at least a situation that made you gag on the fetid air that surrounded and emanated from them. I don't have the words to describe it because I've gone on to smell large animal and human remains, bloated in New Mexican summers.

credburn posted:

This warning is not sufficient!! :(

I have a bunch of these, but that one was one of the worst.

Droogie fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 2, 2024

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
:cry:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyESzpnjPSA

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Half-liquified mouse hidden under the fridge.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Worked as a student garbageman and there were food waste bins we would dump into a modified roll off that would then get dumped elsewhere to make compost. We would have to drain the liquids thru these built in tubes and pump the juice into a barrel, which we would then load into a truck with the lift gate and dump in the woods. The compost juice had a lot of grease in it from the cafeteria foods. The smell was bad enough to make you gag and it would stick around if it got on you, which always happened because the barrels were greasy and heavy and hard to manuver. You could pick out traces of foods you ate in the smell which made eating again off-putting.

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 2, 2024

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I worked as an RA in college and rotated through being the person who answered the on-call phone that students were taught to call in case of any type of emergency on campus (and then it was my job to assess, make sure the appropriate resources were called, and then sprint over to help). I was woken up one night by a nervous freshman who told me that they'd come back to their dorm, found someone passed out in the bathroom, and weren't sure if the person was breathing. I told them to call campus security and ask for an ambulance and took off running.

When I got there, she and the bathroom were just absolutely coated in vomit and feces. And it was my responsibility to go in, roll her over, and check for a pulse + breathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
Okay this one's actually not as bad as some of the ones up thread and not the worst smell I've ever encountered (I'll have to think on that one), but it's funny so it's going in anyways.

Scenario: family of 5, three preteen boys, going to some island or another in Florida in a big GMC Safari van, pulled over in a gas station to fuel up, piss, and get snacks in the summer heat. Older and younger brother pick out something reasonable as a snack, probably something like Doritos and a Slim Jim; middle brother Yesterday's Latte selects a currently forgotten and as yet undetermined brand of vacuum-sealed beef jerky snack with flavor "Steak and Onions" as this was the only variety available in stock and little YL wanted him some beef jerky. Shortly after re-entering the van, the snacks are consumed, and the trip resumes, approximately three hours from destination. Beef jerky is of acceptable quality but not really memorable in any way from a perspective of taste. Little YL has the whole backseat to himself as he is prone to carsickness and laying down seems to make it better, while siblings have middle row. The trip takes us through a very long, straight stretch of seemingly endless forest, a vista easily mistaken for driving on a conveyor belt while a Scooby Doo-like repeating scrolling background plays out around us.

Approximately 30 minutes after departure, car floods with smell of what other parties have described as "an open sewer," "a septic tank backed up in an Olive Garden," and "dynamite fishing for sewer rats pickled in a creek of sun-ripened onion dip" (that last one I just asked for from older brother). All parties assumed it was a particularly ripe roadkill carcass on the side of the road, and coupled with the nearly triple-digit temperatures outside and the AC in the van only barely keeping up, Dad made the decision to keep the windows up. Not long after, it was determined that the smell was not fading, but in fact rapidly intensifying, and out of a mounting concern, Mom finally asked if someone had poo poo themselves.

No one had poo poo themselves, and in fact everyone was perfectly fine. Honestly, I didn't know what everyone was complaining about; it wasn't that bad. When older brother turned around to check and make sure that I had heard the prompt from Mom, since I was laying down, he stuck his head right into the latest hell fart that had quietly escaped from me.

Either I had gone noseblind or, like smoke in a burning building, the farts had floated to the top of the car. Immediately the begging started for someone, anyone, to roll a window down somewhere to let it out, but Dad would not have it because the AC was on, and what he said was law, even as he berated me for hotboxing everyone. This went on for what seemed like an hour, or maybe just a few minutes, or half of an hour, or even two hours, because the forest never ended; there was no sense of time or progress or escape, and the windows wouldn't roll down for anyone.

Finally, little brother, who had some advanced stomach issues at the time, started gagging, and that was enough to get Dad to pull over and get everyone some fresh air. The heat wasn't that bad, as it turned out, so the windows were opened for the rest of the trip.

I don't remember anything else about that trip to Florida. Nobody does. That's literally the only thing anyone remembers about it, just me suffocating everyone and Dad refusing to end it. Never did find another one of those Steak and Onions beef jerky sticks, either, to see if it was a repeatable incident.