Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think it might be that time my sister made some kind of shrimp soup that stank so bad I couldn't be in the house. I think seafood in general is disgusting, but this stuff made 'mam' (vietnamese fish sauce don't know how to spell it) smell good. And I put that fish sauce in foods, despite it's smell (tends to go away).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ron Paul rally in an airplane hangar Nashua, NH, 2012

Upon entering you could feel the scent touch you. Glad I got a good grade in that course because never the gently caress again.

Also cat anal gland juice is pretty awful.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
homeless dude came into a diner I worked at smelling of piss and poo poo and he was doing everything he could to delay and stall with his order. everyone complained and some cops who were finishing their lunch and were known to resort to physical "policing" were keeping their distance.

he was young too, looked at least mid twenties, hope he got better

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
A customer who I nicknamed the Prospector. She was an old lady dressed exactly like a gold miner from the 1890s. Scruffy cowboy hat, turquoise and silver rings and everything. Smell was a combination of old, old mustiness and like she had pooped her pants quite some time ago. And she knew she smelled bad but didn't care. One day she was talking about taking the bus and that nobody better complain because she "didn't smell fresh". My manager used to surreptitiously follow her and spray air freshener in an attempt to combat the smell.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
When I was about 11, I went to a Games Workshop convention in Birmingham. This was the early-mid nineties and I was 11, so that stuff was still cool.

In the queue to get in, there was a kid in front of us who smelled like fresh poo poo, but he didn't just smell like poo poo, he cycled through every bad smell. Like he smelled like piss then like bad meat and then like vomit, like my brain could only process one of his stenches at once.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

When I was about 11, I went to a Games Workshop convention in Birmingham. This was the early-mid nineties and I was 11, so that stuff was still cool.

In the queue to get in, there was a kid in front of us who smelled like fresh poo poo, but he didn't just smell like poo poo, he cycled through every bad smell. Like he smelled like piss then like bad meat and then like vomit, like my brain could only process one of his stenches at once.

Much like an expensive fragrance, there are different notes that appear as the scent changes upon the skin.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

really committed to the Nurgle cosplay

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Stinky girls

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was deep in the woods with a dog and all of a sudden she takes straight off running ahead and I run after her.
When I catch up to her, she's rolling in.... something. And I could smell it from 100 feet away, getting stronger and stronger.

I tell her to stop, to come away, but she's just in dog heaven apparently, rolling in this pool of... death.

I pull her off (getting that stench on me), and I survey the puddle of death. A dead bird, a crow or a raven, mixed in with something else. Like a groundhog or some other varmint. Somehow all mixed together - definitely two very distinct bones and a beak. I assume the bird died after the first creature, but who knows.

So now the dog smells like pure death, and she's a happy as can be. Cleaning her became another story....

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I was on the bus once and some guy got on with a stench so foul it burned, it had a physical presence and settled in my nose long after I got off.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Das Boo posted:

It's this. Lower GI bleeds are DIRE.

We had an extended care wing with 20 rooms, so around 120 ft long? Very last room of the hall was a terminal woman with a lower GI bleed. Not only could you smell it at the top of the hall, but it smelled spicy. It burnt your sinuses.

It's been 17 years and I still remember that smell.

the spicy part stuck out at me, cause the worst smell I can think of was when me and a friend went into a bathroom to take a piss, and were greated by a spicy poo poo smell so foul my friend vomited. I held my breath stolidly and got the gently caress out, felt like what i wiffed burnt nose hairs. We were in Korea and were imagining someone having a terrible kimchee poo poo, but it was so bad it could only be explained by a major health problem.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

There were two posts recently in the cursed images thread that described in great detail the smell of rotting rats. They say it's like nothing else you can experience and provoked insta vomit from everyone around.

Someone plz post the rat stories!

Half a lifetime of pulling desiccated rats out of hot-rear end Florida attics inures you to regular death stink. It takes a special case like a rat dying in a dryer vent and getting repeatedly roasted then basically crumbling when you pour it out of the dryer vent hose to make you yark.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Reading the thread I'm pretty glad my worst is baby diapers

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Real answers for me are grease trap, dairy cooler, or landfill leachate

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Oh! I also saw the comedian Sofie Hagen at the Edinburgh Festival one August.

Now, they're a very good comedian, and they're non binary, politically fat and feminist - these things are all, of course, fine, but it does suggest a particular appeal and fandom.

I spent their entire set gagging at the unwashed hippie smell from the lone woman in the front row. I had to turn my head away to laugh. Not the kind of gags I was hoping to experience that day. It was a small theatre, so I can only assume Sofie Hagen smelled it too.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Freshly cremated human remains. It's not the worst smell I've ever experienced, but it was certainly not pleasant and is probably one of the most memorable.

Essentially all funerals in Japan are cremations, and they go through a ritual after the cremation where family members take turns using oversized chopsticks to pick the remaining bone-shaped-ashes, pass them to other family members, and place them in the urn. Once the urn gets near full, they use the chopsticks to grind them down a little bit and keep going.

It's done almost immediately after the cremation, so the ashes are quite literally steaming hot. The smell is kind of a mix of freshly laid cement and pulverized tooth enamel (like when you get a filling at the dentist), with a hint of chalk. It isn't overpowering, but the fact that it's coming from what used to be the body of a loved one combined with the heat and grinding of the ashes sending puffs of it into the air makes it a smell that lingers in memory, if not on your clothes.

This is why it's taboo to use chopsticks to grab food from another person's chopsticks, btw - you will immediately remind everyone at the table of a funeral and presumably this smell. You're supposed to put it down on a plate or something first.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I had to work with a kid in college who smelled bad in class, he definitely wasn't showering and didn't even bother to cover it with deodorant or anything. We had a big group assignment at one point and he had the most powerful computer of us all, so we went over to his studio apartment to work on it.

It hit you as soon as you walked in the door, it smelled like a dirty locker room with this undercurrent of sweat and BO on EVERYTHING. Tons of food on every surface, half-empty bottles and stuff, just super gross and I started gagging and felt like I had to apologize for it. I kept hiding my nose in my shirt sleeve for the whole time we were working together, I have no idea how he could live like that.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My mom said she worked with an Australian post-doc in the seventies whomst she said you could tell was in the building, let alone the lab. This oniony Australian guy smell.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Rotting/liquifying potatoes smell so much worse than you think a potato can get. I had to clean out a pantry in a house I was living at in college that was filled with an old roommate's food. They had left for an internship and just never came back. The rest of us kept food in the kitchen area, but there was a glorified tiny closet/pantry that he kept his stuff in. We thought it was all just dry/canned goods, but then we started moving things around and the smell hit us. We found almost a whole bag of red potatoes...what was red potatoes. Almost entirely just a chunky liquid in the bag in the corner of the pantry. I don't think it can compare to, like, rotting corpses or GI bleeds, but rotting potatoes probably take the prize of "stinkiest single piece of produce."

The other worse thing I smelled was after my dog had dental surgery. He had to be on a soft foods diet. He also already had diarrhea from the anesthesia, but the combo of that and the canned wet food we gave him (when he was normally a 100% dry-food only dog) was the worst smell I've had in my current home. Like how other people have described smells, it wasn't just bad, but "spicy"/almost painful. Like, if you've ever heated up vinegar to make pickles or something else and you take a big whiff? That same sort of stinging sensation combined with the most foul dog poo poo smell ever. And it was a thick, viscous, mud-like liquid that was not at all contained by his little dog diaper. Thankfully, we at least had him on one of those dog "wee wee" mats in ADDITION to the diaper.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It is very far from some of the stories that have been shared in this thread, but beta-marceptoethanol was a chemical who's smell stayed with me, after having to have made many, many SDS-gels during my PhD.

Smelled like rotting ham, every single time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Rotting/liquifying potatoes smell so much worse than you think a potato can get. I had to clean out a pantry in a house I was living at in college that was filled with an old roommate's food. They had left for an internship and just never came back. The rest of us kept food in the kitchen area, but there was a glorified tiny closet/pantry that he kept his stuff in. We thought it was all just dry/canned goods, but then we started moving things around and the smell hit us. We found almost a whole bag of red potatoes...what was red potatoes. Almost entirely just a chunky liquid in the bag in the corner of the pantry. I don't think it can compare to, like, rotting corpses or GI bleeds, but rotting potatoes probably take the prize of "stinkiest single piece of produce."

i worked in a huge produce department for a couple years and lemme tell ya it that while potatoes are certainly up there - just thinking about them can make me queasy - the real winner in that category is rotten watermelon

imagine if a bag of gym shoes got puked into and left in the sun in florida for a while

and because of the nature of the fruit, if you move it to clean it up it tends to violently fall apart and splash everywhere

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Spoggerific posted:

Freshly cremated human remains. It's not the worst smell I've ever experienced, but it was certainly not pleasant and is probably one of the most memorable.

Essentially all funerals in Japan are cremations, and they go through a ritual after the cremation where family members take turns using oversized chopsticks to pick the remaining bone-shaped-ashes, pass them to other family members, and place them in the urn. Once the urn gets near full, they use the chopsticks to grind them down a little bit and keep going.

It's done almost immediately after the cremation, so the ashes are quite literally steaming hot. The smell is kind of a mix of freshly laid cement and pulverized tooth enamel (like when you get a filling at the dentist), with a hint of chalk. It isn't overpowering, but the fact that it's coming from what used to be the body of a loved one combined with the heat and grinding of the ashes sending puffs of it into the air makes it a smell that lingers in memory, if not on your clothes.

This is why it's taboo to use chopsticks to grab food from another person's chopsticks, btw - you will immediately remind everyone at the table of a funeral and presumably this smell. You're supposed to put it down on a plate or something first.

They should stop fondling dead people bones with utensils imo.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I used to work at a grocery store where they had a shirt and tie dress code and one day the new guy who got hired just a few days beforehand walked it stinking of bleach. He said that he had spilled a bit on his shirt but you could smell it from all across the store and it just irritated every cell in my body. It was like he had poured out a whole bottle into a tub and immersed his shirt in there because he didn’t know you could just febreeze it. Not necessarily the worst smell ever, but it had a story so there you go.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The guy who had my freshman suite the year before I got there was, according to the head of the RAs, loving disgusting. They tried to clean the room and air it out before I moved in but apparently it “sort of” worked.

I smelled something off when I moved in, like perpetually wet clothing with like an extra unknown funk, in the room but I figured it was the suite in its entirely. I remember buying a lot of Oust my first semester to try and kill the rest of the stink, to the point where I started getting a sort of dermatitis from it.

However, my other suitemates complained loudly and got real lovely about it. I was informed by my RA about the previous tenant after a bad confrontation like a month in. Between this and the 2 ft by 2 ft mural of encrusted boogers on the wall above my bed, I nearly dropped out because I couldn’t transfer to another dorm or suite.

Thankfully a boyfriend at the time got me Ozium which helped a lot with the stank though I just sort of avoided booger Guernica and had him cover it with a poster (he really was wonderful).

Suitemates still didn’t like me but they were mostly theater majors and I got to watch some buckwild theatricals from them the rest of the year, that’s for sure. Taught me a lesson that sometimes, even if you’ve done sweet gently caress all wrong, some people will be lovely to you anyway, and that it’s not a reflection on yourself.

Still don’t understand why no one said anything, at all, when I moved in about the accursed suite and just let it play out with a bunch of teen girls. But it was enough impetus to save a few thousand on on-campus housing the going forward and live in an apartment where I didn’t have to hear the soundtrack to loving Into The Woods full blast every day.

I wonder about the previous tenant of that dorm and how bad they were that the stank clung to the walls. I did leave a note after I moved out in the desk for the new occupant, just in case.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

teen witch posted:

I did leave a note after I moved out in the desk for the new occupant, just in case.

Lol, good one. "Not my stink, I swear!" :sweatdrop:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Just like when I tell my neighbor we're gonna catch the son of a bitch that's making GBS threads in his mailbox

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dokapon Findom posted:

Lol, good one. "Not my stink, I swear!" :sweatdrop:
More of a “this is not a place of honor” message

Also “if you find my joint enjoy”

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
We had a carpet anemone come in dead from the shipper in a bag one time. The kid opening the bag wasn't paying attention and snipped open this bag of rotten sea soup and holy gently caress what a smell. It literally made your head snap back like you'd been punched when you caught a whiff of it, and you'd just involuntarily move towards the front of the store to escape the invisible cloud.

This happened at like noon (we opened at nine) and the boss just shut the loving store down for the day. I mean, you get some bad smells in the tropical fish trade sometimes, but I've never smelled anything like that dead carpet anemone. It hit your brain like a giant flaming wall of scarlet rattlesnakes spelling out the word "FLEE."

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
One of two things. We had a freezer full of meat lose power and nobody noticed till it had gone extremely bad. The smell of that was beyond belief and we had to call special contractors in to get rid of it. Just complete scent-of-death stuff.

The other was when I was a girl and me and a friend were playing around on a junkyard and found a bunch of old vacuum tubes or valves or whatever that made a satisfying bang when you smashed them. But I got too close and got a lungful of one of them and that was a smell that seemed to turn your nose inside out, like your airways were just fully rejecting the smell. In a lot of ways, that might have been worse.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Isomermaid posted:

One of two things. We had a freezer full of meat lose power and nobody noticed till it had gone extremely bad. The smell of that was beyond belief and we had to call special contractors in to get rid of it. Just complete scent-of-death stuff.

Oh yeah, bad meat smells horrific.

One time I was at work, and we were remodeling a building for our company. The place had several of the green garbage bins from Waste Management that we would fill with renovation waste and wheel out to the curb for weekly pickup. Well, one day the garbage had already been picked up and all that was left to do was wheel the bins back inside. We spent the entire day building a pile of waste to toss in the bins, and when I opened one particular bin to fill, my nose hairs got singed and my eyes rolled back into my head. This stench was loving foul.

Someone had tossed two full grocery bags full of green (seriously, it was emerald green) maggot-encrusted meat into this bin. We think someone swung by in a car or truck and quickly disposed of their bad meat in our bins before peeling out, leaving the problem to us instead of them. There's nowhere else it could have come from.

We had to call Waste Management to come get this bin right away because drat.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Rockman Reserve posted:

i worked in a huge produce department for a couple years and lemme tell ya it that while potatoes are certainly up there - just thinking about them can make me queasy - the real winner in that category is rotten watermelon

imagine if a bag of gym shoes got puked into and left in the sun in florida for a while

and because of the nature of the fruit, if you move it to clean it up it tends to violently fall apart and splash everywhere

Oh yeah I remember being a produce clerk like 20 years ago in college for a few years and we would just put out watermelons in a huge bin sitting on a pallet. Of course one at the bottom would start to rot and the trick was to get to it before it became a water balloon full of rot that would spill its cursed contents when moved.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
straight liquid blood & diarrhea from a very sick dog. almost vomited cleaning the kennel

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
In my Animal Pathology vourse, we did necropsy examinations on dead animals that had been donated to the college from animal rescues and such. In one class, we got to open up coyote specimens. The smell when we opened up the stomach to examine the contents was probably the worst thing I've ever smelled, like acid-vomit and rot and I came incredibly close to throwing up just from the scent.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have no idea what the gently caress it was. around ten years ago or so i was walking to work in nyc around 830am like i did every morning and on a particular block of 16th st (between union sq and fifth ave) there was some nasty unbearable stench coming out of a dumpster or basement or...i dont know what, the stench was so overwhelming for the entire block that everyone on the street was literally covering their faces and hurrying to get where they were going as quickly as possible, i didn't stick around to investigate the source of the smell, but ive smelled open sewer lines and dead animals etc and it was way worse than any of that and definitely involved some kind of rot

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Once as a teenager I got shitfaced drunk at a party and passed out in a friend’s garage.
The next day my parents were of course furious not just because I was drinking but because I didn’t come home or call. My dad decided my punishment would be to do a bunch of yard work while suffering from a hangover. One of my tasks was to take a bunch of bags of cut grass that had been sitting in the hot sun for days and dump them onto a big pile of other yard waste. I guess the grass clippings had fermented or something and a blast of hot stank came out causing me to instantly barf my guts. My hangover probably intensified my reaction but that was an unexpectedly horrible smell. Not nearly as bad as rotting carcass or poo poo smell but this was an intense sour garbage stench that’s hard to describe.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The smell from an abcess I had drained by my dentist. I've technically smelled much worse things, but it seemed much worse because it was coming out of me. I could only apologise, it smelled like an open grave.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
The free refrigerator drop off place smelled pretty rank. I guess people would forget to check them and drop them off with old moldy food still inside.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

When I was in the ICU a male night-shift nurse walked by and said to my nurse, “let me guess, GI bleed - I know that smell :smuggo:

lol

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
One time I had to do a necropsy on a horse that had been in the barn for a few days in the summer after it died. We had to cut it's insides out and inspect everything. I was forcing back a gag the whole time. I think the only reason I didn't throw up was because I wore a surgical mask with dementholated Vicks on my upper lip. That was the pathologist's recommendation for bad smells. It kind of helped but you could still smell some of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I used to work for an East Coast seafood business. Crabs, fish, & lobsters come in on boats, they go from boats to refrigerated trucks, and trucks to either the company's seafood store or restaurants that bought from them. A refrigerated truck carrying 4000 lbs of live lobsters broke down during a string of 90 degree days and wasn't retrieved from the lot (or emptied) for a week. No working engine = no refrigeration. I was told to put on a poncho and clean the thing out, and at that point it was full of two tons of hot, roiling liquified crustacean. Bad seafood is a rough smell on the best of days, but when it's that much and that far gone, it's like nothing I've ever encountered before or since. Seafood protein breaks down into ammonia compounds quickly anyway, so it smelled like someone was boiling a mass grave in the contents of a thousand trucker bombs. You'd try to walk towards it and your knees would give out.