Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Gonna watch Predator for the first time (yes I know I should've seen it years ago) in his honor

Such an amazing movie.
Body Mass alone.

But seriously, that movie had such an impression on me as a kid. One of my favorites that I can watch pretty much any time.

At Gunsmith school, I made my class watch it after most of the younger guys said they never saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I don’t dip and I guess that’s not why I’m not a god damned Sexual Tyrannosaurus.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I don’t dip and I guess that’s not why I’m not a god damned Sexual Tyrannosaurus.

Yeah but your butthole isn’t sore at least… well now I’m not actually sure about that with a name like yours.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

With a name like mine…yeah I’m not the goatman.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
drat, RIP Dillon.

Still think the Predator and the idea of their species, the way they look, their hunting culture, etc. is my favorite monster/creature ever made. On the surface, some of the lore and other stories I've read are dumb and corny.

They should forget the corny AvP series, Predator 2 and any other poo poo they made and just make stories about single Predators coming to earth through out the ages.

Predator vs Romans, yes please.
Predator vs a Napoleon Army unit, yes please.
and so on...

Prey came out of no where and blew me away, just want more of that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What the gently caress Predator 2 owns. Sweatiest movie ever made. It's just not as good as the first one but that's a bar too high to reach

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Predators- the alien hunting preserve one- deserved more love, and was a good Predator movie.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

NJersey posted:

Seriously, it kicked so much rear end and I'm annoyed we don't have anything else like it on the horizon.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
All the Predators we see on screen are just the rich bored dentists going through mid-life crisis of their species.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Man, this month sucks already.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

bulletsponge13 posted:

Predators- the alien hunting preserve one- deserved more love, and was a good Predator movie.

That’s because it has Walton Goggins in it so by definition it’s going to loving own.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Seriously, it kicked so much rear end and I'm annoyed we don't have anything else like it on the horizon.

Prey is second only to the original in capturing the tension and dread of hunters becoming the hunted. It really had no business being so good and yeah, I too am bummed that there’s nothing forthcoming that can capture that vibe.

Hannibal Rex posted:

All the Predators we see on screen are just the rich bored dentists going through mid-life crisis of their species.

I am hereby stating my intention to capitalize on this trend of grifters putting on faux selection courses/boot camps for insecure men with too much money by developing the Yaujta Challenge, wherein I will take $20,000 of your money to create the feeling of being on Dutch’s team and being stalked by the Predator. Last guy standing wins the Major Alan Schaefer Award for making it to the end and a great bedtime story to tell his secretary.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

NJersey posted:

Hell, same. I still like the Dark Horse comic about a Predator going hunting on Apache land and learning why that was a bad idea - wonder how much of that influenced both Prey the movie and the unrelated video game.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Carl didn't get to see Gronk's Kick of Destiny II. :(

Crab Dad posted:

I had to look it up.
C U Next Tuesday

loving schoolboy poo poo. What a turd.

He probably came up with the idea and looked around at his minions for validation. "That's really good, isn't it? I'm so clever. :smugdon:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I agree with the opinion of Prey, too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Prey is second only to the original in capturing the tension and dread of hunters becoming the hunted. It really had no business being so good and yeah, I too am bummed that there’s nothing forthcoming that can capture that vibe.

I saw the original predator at an Alamo not long before the pandemic and I was not prepared for how incredible the 1v1 is in a theater. So few films can capture that.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Prey ruled and do did Predator 2, and Predators.

We don't talk about The Predator.

All the Dark Horse Predator comics were so amazing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hobbesmaster posted:

I saw the original predator at an Alamo not long before the pandemic and I was not prepared for how incredible the 1v1 is in a theater. So few films can capture that.

i was lucky enough to watch Jurassic Park on 35mm last year and it was loving incredible

it's always been a good film but it was next level on screen

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i was lucky enough to watch Jurassic Park on 35mm last year and it was loving incredible

it's always been a good film but it was next level on screen

I kind of wish I hadn't been in middle school when it was in the theater. I didn't appreciate it then (or really remember that long ago).

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My only complaint about the franchise is the same as many properties- they are always trying to one up/improve the protagonist.

I feel bad- my son and I double featured Predator 1&2 shortly before The Predator (the worst of the franchise, including AVP) came out. He was excited for us to share the new movie, and we walked out, and you could physically feel his disappointment. It was a nice moment and memory for me, but I felt so bad that we went from Predator 2 to that bag of bullshit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Prey is the best predator movie*

*But I barely remember 2.

OG Predator was worth watching for the cultural importance but maybe it just imprinted different if you saw it as a child.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

My only complaint about the franchise is the same as many properties- they are always trying to one up/improve the protagonist.

The problem is that you cannot improve on the back half of the film predator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2F_joxQ4hE

Partly because Schwarzenegger is actually swimming in extremely cold water and covering himself in actual mud in an actual Central American rain forest. The transition in the film from basically commando to this is just perfect

edit: also there are two governors in the film which is just hilarious

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'd never heard "see you next tuesday" in my life. Recently I said it (in an innocent manner) over the radio at my job to one of my co-workers and a little later my boss walked up to me and said "did you just call Levi a oval office?"

Literally everyone I work with that I told this story to was amazed I'd never heard the phrase before and I thought I was being gaslit

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m a product of the University of California system and graduated in the era of the Governator, which means I have Arnold’s autograph on my diploma. Without knowing how Minnesota works in terms of its state university system, I’d like to think that Jesse Ventura signed off on diplomas for state schools as well. Which means that there’s a non-zero chance that there’s someone out there who did their undergrad in either of those states and went to grad school in the other, therefore spending a fuckton of money to get the autographs of two of the cast members of Predator.

Also if you haven’t watched the three part Netflix documentary on Arnold, you really should.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Arnold Schwarzenegger? The specialty European brickmason?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Just going to mention Running Man here.

The very-close-2nd of the dual governor movies.

E: 2:30 if the time stamp doesn’t work:

https://youtu.be/M4ul35wlqjA?si=OYeV7VmcaT80Nx6e#t=150

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 3, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Running Man started my radicalization and Robocop cinched it. Even knowing that I saw them as a child, it's loving incredible to me how many people missed the moral of those two movies.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Two governors and one perpetual candidate, because Sonny Landham.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like how they had the twink commando so nerds had someone to look up to

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Basticle posted:

Literally everyone I work with that I told this story to was amazed I'd never heard the phrase before and I thought I was being gaslit
Plus one on being completely unaware until this thread.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Kith posted:

Running Man started my radicalization and Robocop cinched it. Even knowing that I saw them as a child, it's loving incredible to me how many people missed the moral of those two movies.

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1753283366517182792?t=4yuabFBhX-cskt_Np8hd9g&s=19

Perhaps

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It would be horrifically unethical, but if pro sports dropped all restrictions on performance enhancement it would be like the loving space race of biomedical research. 20 years from now we'd be like "oh no, I got paralyzed in a car crash, I'll need to pick up a stem cell booster at the drug store and take all weekend to heal up".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It would be horrifically unethical, but if pro sports dropped all restrictions on performance enhancement it would be like the loving space race of biomedical research. 20 years from now we'd be like "oh no, I got paralyzed in a car crash, I'll need to pick up a stem cell booster at the drug store and take all weekend to heal up".

Rifts Juicer sports leagues when?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I think it's a lot more likely people will be exploited for fame or money to take drugs that hulk them out for a few years then result in turbocancer.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I've always wanted to see what would happen if we had mid-2000s WWE levels of juicing applied to various other types of athletics.

Like, imagine a baseball league where everyone is absolutely constantly crushing homers and the question isn't "which team can hit more home runs" but rather "which team can break more nearby skyscraper windows".

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hey I have good(?) news!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...sh=63c58bba501f

Bring on the blood bowl.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Basticle posted:

I'd never heard "see you next tuesday" in my life. Recently I said it (in an innocent manner) over the radio at my job to one of my co-workers and a little later my boss walked up to me and said "did you just call Levi a oval office?"

Delurking to say most women have known this phrase for years…it was part of a Sex and the City episode from August 2000.

https://youtu.be/skaJmz7AqqE?si=m4PL_XDRiFmCYPht

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Seems like “see you next time” would be a lot less specific and underhanded like my perennial favorite of “bless your heart”.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Or, if you want to be gender neutral and GiP formal:

Set meetings during future time blocks

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
get out and touch some earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Vortex Street posted:

Delurking to say most women have known this phrase for years…it was part of a Sex and the City episode from August 2000.

https://youtu.be/skaJmz7AqqE?si=m4PL_XDRiFmCYPht

I heard about it when they snuck it into a Spongebob episode in 2001 and all the parents lost their poo poo. I'm sure Bill O'Reilly had something to say about it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kl9Evhjp2jA