Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think it's a lot more likely people will be exploited for fame or money to take drugs that hulk them out for a few years then result in turbocancer.

Yeah it’ll just be a bunch of dudes that look like Rich Piana getting heart attacks and dying at 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah it’ll just be a bunch of dudes that look like Rich Piana getting heart attacks and dying at 40

There's ways of using HGH and steroids that dont leave you looking like liver king and if you think most pro athletes aren't on some level of gear you haven't been paying attention

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t pay attention but I also assume they have to exercise at least a little restraint

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It would be horrifically unethical, but if pro sports dropped all restrictions on performance enhancement it would be like the loving space race of biomedical research. 20 years from now we'd be like "oh no, I got paralyzed in a car crash, I'll need to pick up a stem cell booster at the drug store and take all weekend to heal up".

A goon made the point that if you allow performance enhancement, the athletes are then competing on both their athletic aptitude, and their genetic response to the drugs. So you have to roll a nat 20 on the genetic lottery like twice in a row, once for being very receptive to those drugs and once for being born an Adonis.

It's like that Cyberpunk anime where the character is "built different", i.e. lucky enough to be naturally tolerant of cyberware to a rare degree, and gets a tragic amount of attention due to it.

MA-Horus posted:

if you think most pro athletes aren't on some level of gear you haven't been paying attention

It's exactly why I never pay attention to sports
:goonsay:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

There's ways of using HGH and steroids that dont leave you looking like liver king and if you think most pro athletes aren't on some level of gear you haven't been paying attention

Sure there are ways, but every incentive in this hypothetical league is going to be to overuse the stuff or try novel drugs with unknown long term effects. Even if they include medical oversight, the doctors will have a ton of pressure on them to sign off on questionable options. No one involved is going to care about the athletes’ health in five years, including the athletes themselves when it gets them paid.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think we can all agree that baseball was much more fun to watch during the steroids era.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sure there are ways, but every incentive in this hypothetical league is going to be to overuse the stuff or try novel drugs with unknown long term effects. Even if they include medical oversight, the doctors will have a ton of pressure on them to sign off on questionable options. No one involved is going to care about the athletes’ health in five years, including the athletes themselves when it gets them paid.

Is be surprised if any pro cyclists weren’t doping tbh

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It feels ethically dubious for a doctor to be involved in something like this, which would likely result in, well, ethically dubious doctors getting involved.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you want to see the results, just check how it went for WWF-era wrestlers. Oh, they're all dead.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

If you want to see the results, just check how it went for WWF-era wrestlers. Oh, they're all dead.

Sorta? Thats mostly due to doing copious amounts of somas or cocaine though. Plenty of known roidy magoo wrestlers are stoll kicking as of today.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Defenestrategy posted:

Sorta? Thats mostly due to doing copious amounts of somas or cocaine though. Plenty of known roidy magoo wrestlers are stoll kicking as of today.

Or opioid painkillers from the horrendous injuries they'd do to themselves and each other, plus the stimulants they then took to avoid being low all the time...

Those drug cocktails with unpredictable interactions aren't helped by what the gear is doing to their endocrine system.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m a product of the University of California system and graduated in the era of the Governator, which means I have Arnold’s autograph on my diploma. Without knowing how Minnesota works in terms of its state university system, I’d like to think that Jesse Ventura signed off on diplomas for state schools as well. Which means that there’s a non-zero chance that there’s someone out there who did their undergrad in either of those states and went to grad school in the other, therefore spending a fuckton of money to get the autographs of two of the cast members of Predator.

Also if you haven’t watched the three part Netflix documentary on Arnold, you really should.

My sister and I have Arnie on our diplomas. Our mom got Reagan, SAD!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I think the NFL only tests for steroids like, once or twice a year or something to that effect. There are a ton of players that are clearly on steroids, and many who don't take them regularly will take them for injury rehabilitation. The NFL seeming cares a lot more about a player smoking weed than they do about using HGH or some other performance enhancer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

I think the NFL only tests for steroids like, once or twice a year or something to that effect. There are a ton of players that are clearly on steroids, and many who don't take them regularly will take them for injury rehabilitation. The NFL seeming cares a lot more about a player smoking weed than they do about using HGH or some other performance enhancer.

The cynical reason would be that if they’re publicly so strict on weed then maybe people will think “wow the nfl is so strict on drugs! It must be drug free!”

Though it’s probably actually reefer madness/drug war propaganda and old people running things.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

hobbesmaster posted:

The cynical reason would be that if they’re publicly so strict on weed then maybe people will think “wow the nfl is so strict on drugs! It must be drug free!”

Though it’s probably actually reefer madness/drug war propaganda and old people running things.

If the NFL started to openly let players use marijuana, they run the risk of everyone deciding they’d rather play frisbee golf or hacky sack and skateboarding.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.metalsucks.net/2024/02/02/billionaires-hate-him-how-one-thrash-metal-drummer-cost-elon-musk-56-billion/

Lol, always find the local / niche angle

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Zamujasa posted:

get out and touch some earth

read that wrong and got boatmurdered.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Which one of you wrote this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cythereal posted:

Wasn't me. I wrote a real book.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wasn't me. I wrote a real book.

I’d hope everyone here aspires to be above LitRPG as a genre.

But the real questions are: which rip it flavor and how many?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Not me- I only write fiction.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Too bad he didn't bring his sword, he's going to be useless against lava monsters in all that

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i was lucky enough to watch Jurassic Park on 35mm last year and it was loving incredible

it's always been a good film but it was next level on screen

The effects in JP hold up much better than they should. There are some scenes where the CG really doesn't, but most of it was practical with maybe a dash of CG to help and those scenes loving work. The entire T-rex reveal scene is amazing, and when it roars at Grant as he holds the flare...that shot is goddamned terrifying.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oh yeah I like how John Hammond is one of the most interesting villains in cinema. At first he’s a kindly grandpa with grandkids in peril but fun to pick up all the clues the entire situation is his fault.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

The effects in JP hold up much better than they should. There are some scenes where the CG really doesn't, but most of it was practical with maybe a dash of CG to help and those scenes loving work. The entire T-rex reveal scene is amazing, and when it roars at Grant as he holds the flare...that shot is goddamned terrifying.

Best shot in theatre was sexy goldblum

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Vortex Street posted:

Delurking to say most women have known this phrase for years…it was part of a Sex and the City episode from August 2000.

https://youtu.be/skaJmz7AqqE?si=m4PL_XDRiFmCYPht

Its been common in Aus for at least a decade too. I just found it low effort when Trump used it

Behold, a tourism ad that outdid 'Where the Bloody Hell Are Ya?' in misjudgement, using a sub-variant
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-08/c-u-in-the-nt-tourism-slogan-causes-social-media-stir/8004430

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 5, 2024

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Meanwhile, in NZ,

quote:

Luxon and Peters were each challenged by one kaiwero (warrior).

ACT leader David Seymour faced a kāhui (group) of kaiwero (warriors)

Further to this, one of the warriors lifted his maro (loin cloth) to reveal his penis to the political parties during the pōwhiri. He then licked his rakau (stick) and bared his butt. This can be interpreted as a challenge to the Crown.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

A considerable modernization and improvement upon

Let's see where this goes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Meanwhile, in NZ,

Ah, I see they've been studying at the LBJ school of politics.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Meanwhile, in NZ,

My wife's argument that we should move there is gaining steam.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I can't get a good read or form a real clear opinion about the border bill that was released yesterday, as I'm basically just in favor of whatever decreases Donnie's chances.

So I'm really just tracking and enjoying the chuckefuckery

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1754536110145851737?t=X-NVjGLe3vcpsoJ8NnXn7g&s=19

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

I can't get a good read or form a real clear opinion about the border bill that was released yesterday, as I'm basically just in favor of whatever decreases Donnie's chances.

So I'm really just tracking and enjoying the chuckefuckery

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1754536110145851737?t=X-NVjGLe3vcpsoJ8NnXn7g&s=19

For those of us without twitter what's this referring to

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

For those of us without twitter what's this referring to

The border bill text was released yesterday. The fact sheets, bill text, and etc simply don't matter as chud commentators are saying the Republicans involved with the negotiation should be prosecuted for (mystery) crimes. Quite a few Republican Senators are making revolty noises against McConnell (like that Lee thing).

Meanwhile, the entire House GOP leadership is yelling "gently caress your bill, we aren't even going to call it up". The same poo poo Donnie asked for a few years ago from Congress is now supposedly within Biden's power according to Republicans (no).

Usually when a party doesn't want to fix a problem and instead campaign on it, it's whispered and not screamed like what Republicans are doing. And it's a pretty lovely bill from the liberal/prog perspective since it doesn't even make dreamers permanent! All very odd, but basically how politics works now.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I like vibes. I don't like that politicans like vibes too, so much so that they're making vibes their job instead of the betterment of humanity

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I like vibes. I don't like that politicans like vibes too, so much so that they're making vibes their job instead of the betterment of humanity

It's not even vibes, the Republican party operates on "gently caress you, no" as their primary philosophy. The border poo poo in the bill is something the Republians of the '90s would have had as their wet dreams. Unilateral ability of the president to shut down the border completely whenever the juiced-as-all-hell metrics they report cross a threshold. Dumbshit Donnie tried that and got roasted to hell and back, now it's being proposed as law and Republicans have to stomp their feet and yell about it because the orange-faced toddler at the top doesn't want someone to take his toys away.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The draft may be DOA, but it did effectively move immigration policy to the right. Democrats and Biden signaling significant acceptance of right’s demands on border, and republicans still mad about it.

The bill is more than border, it’s also billions in military aid for Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1754565802773160404?t=IZE8Rj_SJ_m0CeSSOgLYeQ&s=19

Another step toward a free Ireland

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Remnants of a Nuclear Missile Are Found in a Garage https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/04/us/seattle-nuclear-missile-garage.html

quote:

The police responded to a call from a U.S. Air Force museum that said a man had offered to donate a Cold War-era missile stored in his late neighbor’s garage.

Garages are often cluttered with dusty boxes of heirlooms, untouched gym equipment or a multitude of tools.

But how about a piece of a Cold War-era nuclear missile?

Members of the bomb squad in Bellevue, Wash., on Thursday were called to inspect parts of a military-grade missile in the garage of a resident.

Elements of the larger, intact missile, such as the warhead, were missing and the authorities deemed the piece to be inert and safe, the police said in a news release on Friday.

An Air Force museum in Dayton, Ohio, contacted the police in Bellevue on Jan. 31 to report that a resident had offered to donate the missile, which belonged to his late neighbor.

The resident had been put in charge of his neighbor’s estate, according to the Bellevue police, and said that his neighbor had originally purchased the missile from an estate sale.

The police were unable to contact any of the neighbor’s family, and did not identify the Bellevue man out of respect for his privacy, said Officer Seth Tyler, a Bellevue Police Department spokesman.

The next day, the man was “surprised” to hear from the police because he had not called them but invited the bomb squad to inspect the missile remnant, Officer Tyler said.

Squad members identified the rocket as a Douglas AIR-2 Genie missile, designed to carry a 1.5-kiloton nuclear warhead.

First put into operation in 1957, the Genie was the world’s first nuclear-armed rocket designed to destroy aircraft targets, and was the most powerful interceptor missile deployed by the U.S. Air Force, according to Boeing.

In 1954, Douglas Aircraft began work on “a small unguided nuclear-armed air-to-air missile,” according to Boeing. Douglas Aircraft built more than 1,000 Genie rockets before discontinuing production in 1962.

It was clear that the missile remnant did not pose a threat given that it was missing its warhead and did not contain rocket fuel, Officer Tyler said.

“It was essentially just a rusted piece of metal at that point,” he said. “An artifact, in other words.”

Because the military did not request it back, the police left it with the man to donate.

It was not immediately clear whether the missile remnant would be destined for the museum in Ohio, and efforts to reach the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton on Sunday were unsuccessful.

Given Bellevue’s proximity to Joint Base Lewis-McChord, a large military base, Officer Tyler said it was not unusual for the police to respond to calls about hand grenades or other unexploded ordnance.

But a missile from the Cold War would be a first, said Officer Tyler, who has worked for the department for 18 years. The department also seemed to believe it would be the last, referring to Elton John’s classic song “Rocket Man” in a social media post.

“And we think it’s gonna be a long, long time before we get another call like this again,” the Bellevue police said.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t know a lot about ordnance disposal, but is a police bomb squad going to be able to do anything productive with (part of) a nuclear device, or do they just say “oh poo poo” and call some DoE hotline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t know a lot about ordnance disposal, but is a police bomb squad going to be able to do anything productive with (part of) a nuclear device, or do they just say “oh poo poo” and call some DoE hotline?

There is no nuclear device to dispose of. There aren't even any explosives. It's an empty airframe (or part of one).