Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Another black history month over
And a new ones just begun

In my case, I’m listening to Millie Jackson and laughing at feeble corporate attempts of acknowledging black history month while trying not to rile up chuds. Funny as it is distressing.

I might watch that riverboat brawl video again or laugh at memes. Who knows?

Cool black people:
Millie Jackson
bell hooks
Michael K Williams
Nichelle Nichols
Avery Brooks (I’m watching DS9 for the first time)
Michael Dorn
Guinan (no not Whoopi, Guinan)
Most of those who wrote the Combahee River Collective statement
Neneh Cherry
Marsha P Johnson
Poly Styrene
Cree Summer
Lil Nas X
Eric Andre
Phil Lynott

how are you all* observing? There’s a black history month for the UK in October, and *maybe* other countries have different months as well, but let’s start with Feb. Soon we will have black history season.

*nonblack people, you’re welcome to the proverbial cookout. just don’t bring chicken salad with grapes. Not a race thing that poo poo just is weird tasting. maybe I’ve only had bad experiences with it?

teen witch fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My wish for black history month: I get to dress like Tina Turner in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. I don’t want to live in the universe but I do want that fit

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

teen witch posted:

laughing at feeble corporate attempts of acknowledging black history month while trying not to rile up chuds.

(in Michael Dorn voice) They are with-OUT honour.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Should just give into the Chuds and give them a white history month as a counterbalance.

A month that focuses on white history. A history of oppression of all the other races and taking all of their inventions, ideas and music and claiming it as their own!

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Every month that isn't February is white history month

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

My 4 year old will continue to bop to Gracie’s Corner and I will continue listening to the Stylistics.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Didn't notice it at all, sorry OP.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Alexandre Dumas was an extremely cool dude that I don't think a lot of people even know was black (certainly the case for me well into my adulthood) despite the broad popularity of his work. He wrote The Three Musketeers and the Count of Monte Cristo among other universally adored books, and you can tell just by looking at him that he was an extremely fun guy at parties.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
reading White Fragility

Dunno after that, been meaning to watch Nope and Us

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Been reading up on this Yakub guy...

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Should just give into the Chuds and give them a white history month as a counterbalance.

A month that focuses on white history. A history of oppression of all the other races and taking all of their inventions, ideas and music and claiming it as their own!

i dont think an ironic celebration of the utter dominance of the world by europeans is a good idea in this climate op

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I've been listening to a lot of jazz music, though I do that all the time and not just in February. Orrin Evans, Nicholas Payton, Cedar Walton, Nubya Garcia, Charles McPherson are some I've been listening to, among others.

Also American Fiction is a great movie in theaters and should probably win best picture.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Going to make 105 different peanut recipes

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Beefed Owl posted:

Every month that isn't February is white history month

*Family Feud buzzer*

March is Women’s History Month
May is Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month
June is LGBT+ Pride Month
September is Hispanic Heritage Month

I’m sure there’s more than that, but those are the months I know of.

And I’m brown and down to keep on listening to my lowrider oldies comprised of Black artists. Zapp & Roger, Smokey Robinson, Funkadelic, Brenton Wood, etc.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 2, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ill be working on some sort of black history month mixtape

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
lewis hamilton is officially going to ferrari. a great blessing for black history enthusiasts and enjoyers

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

You Are A Werewolf posted:

And I’m brown and down to keep on listening to my lowrider oldies comprised of Black artists. Zapp & Roger, Smokey Robinson, Funkadelic, Brenton Wood, etc.

zapp & roger fun and funky
now check this out
https://youtube.com/watch?v=agC9d2mVHlU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Chicken salad and grapes is indeed an insanely bad dish op it’s not just you

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’m gonna try and bring back the Black Death

It’s the least I can do for the planet :pray:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
is it ever acceptable to be a -phile of black american culture in the same way one can be an anglo or franco or japanophile?

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I've mostly been applying to jobs, op. Is there something I can do this month that will be helpful? I am not a chud and I try to do the right thing, but more and more things I am capable of accomplishing seem like they are not going to help anything, this world and especially the united states are a loving mess. I guess I could start a clothes drive or something. I don't even know anymore.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I will continue to seethe against white men in power :argh:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

is it ever acceptable to be a -phile of black american culture in the same way one can be an anglo or franco or japanophile?

much like Anglo and Francophiles you can just enjoy thing and not be weird about it, know when to slow your roll, etc.

rear end-penny posted:

I've mostly been applying to jobs, op. Is there something I can do this month that will be helpful? I am not a chud and I try to do the right thing, but more and more things I am capable of accomplishing seem like they are not going to help anything, this world and especially the united states are a loving mess. I guess I could start a clothes drive or something. I don't even know anymore.

You’re doing enough and you’re waking up trying again the locked Honda Accord on a sunny day known as These United States. You don’t need to fix the world right now, you just gotta do you.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

rear end-penny posted:

Go to the police academy and become the one guy on the force who isn’t a racist.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm gonna enjoy my favorite rappers (it's Ke$ha mostly)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I listen to the hip hop

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thinkin to send an email chock full of platitudes to the company

but i’ll use my “From the desk of” email for a bit of deniability just in case. this is a former slave state afterall and i know we have a very diverse workforce of both racists and wokes, and i certainly don’t want to offend anyone — especially not shareholders!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Bad Purchase posted:

thinkin to send an email chock full of platitudes to the company

but i’ll use my “From the desk of” email for a bit of deniability just in case. this is a former slave state afterall and i know we have a very diverse workforce of both racists and wokes, and i certainly don’t want to offend anyone — especially not shareholders!

nice tecjnoque

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i freed my slaves

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Worf posted:

i freed my slaves

but enough about Amazon

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

free hubcaps posted:

Alexandre Dumas was an extremely cool dude that I don't think a lot of people even know was black (certainly the case for me well into my adulthood) despite the broad popularity of his work. He wrote The Three Musketeers and the Count of Monte Cristo among other universally adored books, and you can tell just by looking at him that he was an extremely fun guy at parties.

I love that his books are extreamly readable today because they were basicaly airport fiction of the time. they are dope

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i realized a couple weeks back that, on account of being a wacky foreigner, mrs mammal had zero concept of black history and american history; how those two intersect; and, how they continue to temper black people’s lives and experiences in the good ol’ usa to this very day

we’ve been marathoning through documentaries on pbs and replacing our usual entertainment with media focused on black history and black experiences. i’ve also been sharing my family’s direct contributions to said history and experiences (they were big time plantation owners. started off on the wrong side of history and stayed there ever since)

she is delightfully horrified and finally, for the first time in our relationship, seems to understand that there is absolutely nothing charming about my heritage. all of her delusions about such finally in the trash where they belong

it’s been interesting watching her perspective change

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I've been listening to Gorgoroth and Trelldom non-stop as Gaahl is the Keith St. John of the black metal scene.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
I've been mourning the passing of Apollo Creed.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Tite Barnacle posted:

I've been mourning the passing of Apollo Creed.

lol this

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Are we supposed to do things for black history month? Are there deeply ingrained holiday traditions I have been heretofore unaware of?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

May he get the stew going in the great beyond

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I want a Robert Smalls movie so badly or even a video game. Dude is one of the greatest badasses of history.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I want a Robert Smalls movie so badly or even a video game. Dude is one of the greatest badasses of history.

Only if there’s a time traveling/alt history bit to it

quote:

After the Civil War, Smalls returned to Beaufort and became a politician, winning election as a Republican to the South Carolina Legislature and the United States House of Representatives during the Reconstruction era. He authored state legislation providing for South Carolina to have the first free and compulsory public school system in the United States. He founded the Republican Party of South Carolina. Smalls was the last Republican to represent South Carolina's 5th congressional district until the election of Mick Mulvaney in 2010.

Seriously though he’s cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Was Carl Weathers the sound effect guy? Or am I thinking of someone else?