Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’m gonna try and bring back the Black Death

It’s the least I can do for the planet :pray:

if there's any way i could help please let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

teen witch posted:

Only if there’s a time traveling/alt history bit to it

Seriously though he’s cool as hell

His house is a museum now, it’s both sad and incredibly interesting. Beaufort SC is such a beautiful place with such an awful history. I’ll leave people to look up why his home is so interesting.

Time traveling or alt history Robert Smalls hadn’t occurred to me but imagining the possibilities is fun. Our man choking out nazis and stealing a u boat.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I. M. Gei posted:

Was Carl Weathers the sound effect guy? Or am I thinking of someone else?

That's Michael Winslow.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Gonna wear some Fubu in solidarity

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Gonna wear some Fubu in solidarity

Excuse me it’s for US by US not YOU

(Is FUBU still around? Is Phat Farm still around??)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I like that the home of Uppsala university, the global head quarters of (no pun intended) skull measuring and other "racial science", is asking what folks are doing for Black History

Skull collections seem meager this season, I guess

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Rappaport posted:

I like that the home of Uppsala university, the global head quarters of (no pun intended) skull measuring and other "racial science", is asking what folks are doing for Black History

Skull collections seem meager this season, I guess

I was black before I was Swedish :shrug:

However I do like skulls, not wrong there

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

get ahead , attend skull skool

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Worf posted:

get ahead , attend skull skool

My professor:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
poo poo maybe this IS my fate
https://youtu.be/7kGPhpvqtOc

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sure the svensk polite field means your vänner all say you're svensk too, but come on, you live in the last bastion of racial science

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Dude I live somewhere where the term for chokladboll was something vastly different not too long ago, very aware as to how racist and lovely Europe is?

this is the thread to celebrate black people and idk why you gotta be a bummer here?

Maybe try getting into skulls, everyone’s got one

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

teen witch posted:

poo poo maybe this IS my fate
https://youtu.be/7kGPhpvqtOc

what an awesome fate

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm a Finn, we have an out-standing contest with Sweden about skulls

But yeah, skulls are awesome! I'm sad they didn't make the second season of Lovecraft Country, the out-line I read was fantastic

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I bought this cookbook:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Rappaport posted:

I'm sure the svensk polite field means your vänner all say you're svensk too, but come on, you live in the last bastion of racial science

you ever watch the green book, op?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_96bgvIDlM

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Demi Adejuyigbe deserves his own thread if not subforum:

https://youtu.be/e-6K2CjJ6dk

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rappaport posted:

I'm starting to think this Sweden place might not be as progressive as we've been led to believe

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
ive never been to a place that wasn't insanely racist, when the people are honest. not sure such a place exists

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

I bought this cookbook:

I need to buy some of their bootleg pop tarts.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

ive never been to a place that wasn't insanely racist, when the people are honest. not sure such a place exists

sure it does. you just have to know how to get there

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I was looking at some 19th century black newspapers in Minnesota, and one of them ran this as the main headline:

Thankfully, rhetoric like that is totally absent from our political landscape now, and it doesn't seem super familiar at all.

The other papers that I looked at were better. I enjoyed the slice of life/local news stuff quite a bit, like social events in the black community. That type of material doesn't usually get into non-specialized history books.

The Afro-American Advance is one if anyone is interested:
https://newspapers.mnhs.org/jsp/PsBrowse.jsp

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tite Barnacle posted:

I've been mourning the passing of Apollo Creed.

Dillan, you son of a bitch.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I think it's interesting that the big entertainment apps suggest good shows, movies, music etc that feature or are written by Black people during this month in particular. Part of you wonders why isn't like that all the time. At least I wonder about it. I don't know if this makes sense or not. I tend to just stick with what I find interesting and what I've found for myself, which already includes Black artists and actors anyway. Like are there people that only listen to Black music in February? I dunno it just seems a bit weird. I like that they do it though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

last year for black history month youtube music was like HERE CHECK THESE OUT and then directly below it it recommended lady antebellum

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

dont worry op i listen to kanye all year long

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

cumpantry posted:

me too

Did you know he used to be a rapper??

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

cumpantry posted:

We both share being Burzum fans so I’ll check this guy out!!!!!

Dixville posted:

I think it's interesting that the big entertainment apps suggest good shows, movies, music etc that feature or are written by Black people during this month in particular. Part of you wonders why isn't like that all the time. At least I wonder about it. I don't know if this makes sense or not. I tend to just stick with what I find interesting and what I've found for myself, which already includes Black artists and actors anyway. Like are there people that only listen to Black music in February? I dunno it just seems a bit weird. I like that they do it though.

Disney Plus here has a section for “Celebrate Black Stories” that is year round, but they also didn’t translate “Celebrate Black Stories” as they do other genres (some, not all).

Now you could translate the collection several different ways for the slightest hint of “hey, we kinda care?” but some jagoff in Vembryrköping will start writing unhinged opinion pieces and the Nordic Disney Plus outlet would simply fall to pieces if they’re hurt. Cannot have that!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Taken out of context, "Nordic Disney Plus" sounds like a hosed up Mickey Mouse-themed white supremacy organization. Why yes Goofy, the undesirables go into the gas

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Rappaport posted:

Taken out of context, "Nordic Disney Plus" sounds like a hosed up Mickey Mouse-themed white supremacy organization. Why yes Goofy, the undesirables go into the gas

Between Walt and The Film Where “Zip-a-dee-doo-dah” Came From That Mysteriously Disappeared, How Peculiar, it’s not exactly a stretch.

Speaking of, I highly recommend the You Must Remember This series on Song of the South.

I remember having the Sing-A-Long tapes with the song and even some rando Disney anthology story book from the early sixties that had a bit from it (among other :yikes: bits).

https://youtu.be/X0_l6ASQf2s

The rap interlude on this is next level.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The instrumental was painful

Reminded me of teachers wheeling the tv in to edutain me

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

teen witch posted:

Speaking of, I highly recommend the You Must Remember This series on Song of the South.

This is a really good series but man put it on 1.5x speed, I have no idea why she talks so slowly on this podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

zip zip zip zip zip zip zip