Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Welcome to the SA iRacing thread! Where all your dreams of winning 24hr races for fun and profit can come true! :siren: 2024 Edition! :siren:

So you're a simracer huh? Got the wheel and pedals, driven a bunch of Assetto Corsa (maybe even ACC if you're a hypernerd) and are falling prey to the siren song of setting wads of cash on fire to do the same thing only with more online events, more drivers, and - yes - more friendly SA community members telling you how to spend too much money to be your helpful teammates. But maybe you need just a little more peer pressure to push you into the clutches of John W Henry's fun little side project, and that's where this thread comes in.

So I heard this thing is just a horrible money pit scam like a low level simracing Star Citizen?

Ok, look, let's pull the bandaid off right now: this is not something you should be looking to get into for irregular 'pick up and play' gaming like the rest of the games on your shelf. This is the option you're looking at if you've become (or are thinking of becoming) a fully-fledged sim nerd where it's a hobby of its own. It's the difference between playing minigolf a couple of times a year and playing actual golf with your crew multiple times per week, and when you compare it to a sports hobby with club/facility membership: it's in line with most things, cost-wise.

Yes, it's still an expensive prospect, but it is what it is. It's not bad value if you only buy stuff you plan to use, and most of the popular series have a solid base of tracks that always get used in the rotation. If you're strapped for cash, the option remains to chain intro offers until you're able to start expanding your paid content library, and the included free content is pretty sizeable at this point. It's always definitely worth spending that initial 8 bucks to see what's there, and if you're still involved more than 2 years down the line you'll probably be joining me in calling the whole thing pretty good value.

Alright I'll shut up about how much stuff costs, what's so good about this thing anyway?

Put simply: the best multiplayer infrastructure for a racing sim you can get, by far. The core sim is up there with the usual suspects, people will bicker about who exactly has the 'most realistic' tyre model (it's none of them, if you want realism go to a track day), but at the end of the day while it isn't a 1:1 map with real life most cars feel good to drive and the racing feels like racing. It's the only game in town if you want special events with entries in 5 figures (split down to ~50 car fields based on driver rating) like the recent Daytona 24hr event. Most (though certainly not all) series have at least a solid chance of pulling together strong fields at most times of the day, although if you're in a less populated timezone and/or less popular series you may have to plan around available prime times rather than be able to rely on the fully populated hourly races of the popular kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogWTipacl5I

What about the social aspect?

Did I mention there is team racing? There is team racing, with multiple drivers required for some events (including almost all of the road racing special events), and what better way to stress about loving it up die gloriously in search of wins than with teammates? Or how about our inhouse league races every Friday and Sunday, which have been going for a solid decade at this point. Or other organised leagues with a team aspect, where we have been known to goonrush as many as 8 cars in tryhard leagues and get results using the finest SA strat of old: numbers. We've won leagues, official special events, you name it, we've either won or crashed heroically in it.

We also have a fleet of sweet car paints at this point, which is 90% of the point of the whole thing anyway. Here's just a few of the creations in our locker:

Ok you got me, how do I get involved? :siren: DISCORD LINK HERE :siren:

Join the fabled Discord which I can assure you is not just another dead server to idle in with no activity. Just say you're new and people will be falling over themselves to tell you how to spend all your money in the shortest time possible! Other server features include league race organisation, special event and external league stuff, general sim and gear tips, other sims, other videogames, pet pictures, and the ever popular #dev-chat channel where people complain about every project manager they ever met.

Sign up using the introductory discounts (my referral link, which gets turned back into hosted league sessions, ever more complicated team strategy spreadsheets and general team admin). There are ways to minmax your spending with the yearly holiday deals, but step 1 is always to get in and drive the base content cars. The signup page lists the full stack of included content, and the key cars on the road side are the Ray FF1600, Toyota GR86 and Mazda MX-5. You can happily race base content forever, the races are always super popular so you'll have no shortage of competitors at your level. I would strongly recommend holding off on buying any additional cars or tracks until you're addicted sure this is something you're going to be into for a year or more, unless you don't care about money and just want to drive certain cars around (subject to license requirements: a boring subject that is described on the website, but ask in Discord if you want a path to a series you have your heart set on).

Isn't this just a poorly disguised cult recruitment post? You've hardly even spoken about game features like the almost full IMSA car roster, the return of Indycar as an official partner, a dedicated official Nordschleife series, evolving track states, day/night cycle, and the upcoming rain!

Sounds like you were able to pick up most of that info without this post, I bet you found out through the Discord huh? Yes, there is lots more that could be said but lets be honest, if you're reading all of this you already have at least a vague idea of what iRacing is, and really what I'm doing here is converting as many sim nerds into iRacing nerds as possible, as more people = more team members = more special event teams = more chance of repeated the fabled 4 Teams In One Split Sebring 12hr.

I'll leave you with the last word on how it feels to be a real Part Of The Team.

And remember: iRacing is Serious Business!

2021 iRacing Thread

Vando fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I like to sim race. Thanks iracing

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

necrotic posted:

I like to sim race. Thanks iracing
I liked the sim races so much, I started going to the real ones.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Racing with goons is fun.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
iRacing rules and doing it with goons and friends makes it rule more. You can have fun and be faster than you think on whatever equipment you have.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Anyone in here planning to do the IndyCar iRacing Tour this year? I did some of it in 2022 and enjoyed it but having someone to race with as a teammate would be even better.

Edit also the IR18 is one of the best cars on the service, fun to drive in all 3 aero configurations, road, short oval, and superspeedway.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Banzai 3 posted:

You can have fun and be faster than you think on whatever equipment you have.

Truth! Trying to chase Banzai on road courses will make you faster. The goon league races are a great resource to help you get faster at road racing if you suck at it like I do.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Wolfy posted:

Same!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wolfy posted:

That would never be me

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Superior green wheels colour on display in the OP, perfect.

The m4 text overlap on that last image though, I fixed it already I swear
:negative:

Fake edit; have you heard about the discord? It’s full of cool folks driving fake cars

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Fellblade posted:

The m4 text overlap on that last image though, I fixed it already I swear

iRacing undocumented changes :argh:

If someone wants to send me the same shot with the fixed paint I can replace it, it's all I had on hand.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

i heard this was the place for a 24h gooning session

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Anyone in here planning to do the IndyCar iRacing Tour this year? I did some of it in 2022 and enjoyed it but having someone to race with as a teammate would be even better.

Edit also the IR18 is one of the best cars on the service, fun to drive in all 3 aero configurations, road, short oval, and superspeedway.

Yes, I've leant hard into the IR18 this season to the point where open and fixed are pretty much the only series I'm actively competing in outside of private leagues.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Sim racing is fun but the goon community around iracing is probably why I'm still into it, it's a very helpful and friendly group. Team races and goon rushing leagues is a lot of fun, even if you're bad like me.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I think this game is garbage personally, I'll not be spending a penny more than the £1k+ or so I've already paid

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Oh rain soon? siiiiiick

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
So the last 15 minutes of the endurance league we run GT3 in was interesting yesterday, it all came down to a very tight finish (ignore the commentators not quite understanding fuel and who caught and passed who, it's not super important)

https://www.youtube.com/live/3J1_VQ89ztI?si=GK_XSR34KmI1p4Vd&t=15650

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Xakura posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/1amxowz/psa_windows_mixed_reality_wmr_headsets_no_longer/

Plugging in to use a Windows Mixed Reality headset will not work starting with this build. Windows Mixed Reality is no longer available to users as Windows Mixed Reality has been announced as deprecated. This includes the Mixed Reality Portal app, and Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR and Steam VR Beta. Existing Windows Mixed Reality devices will continue to work with Steam through November 2026, if users remain on their current released version of Windows 11 (version 23H2) and do not upgrade to this year’s annual feature update for Windows 11 (version 24H2). This deprecation does not impact HoloLens.

Am I reading this right and my $900 G2 is a brick if I update to win 11 and will brick in 2026 either way?

Edit:

Since I run iRacing using OpenXR these days I THINK I will survive even if the WMR app dies, but I'm not actually sure because I'm researching this while high as balls, which adds an extra layer of challenge and fear.

Can someone hold my goony trotter and tell me if its going to be OK or not? :smith:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 11, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

Am I reading this right and my $900 G2 is a brick if I update to win 11 and will brick in 2026 either way?

Edit:

Since I run iRacing using OpenXR these days I THINK I will survive even if the WMR app dies, but I'm not actually sure because I'm researching this while high as balls, which adds an extra layer of challenge and fear.

Can someone hold my goony trotter and tell me if its going to be OK or not? :smith:

Why on earth would you use win 11 in the first place?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Windows 10 is eol next year is probably why

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Why on earth would you use win 11 in the first place?

Why on earth aren’t you? Win 10 is dead soon

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

All I hear about Win11 is how it's more annoying than Win10 and this kind of poo poo with the WMR is exactly an example of what I mean. If windows absolutely stops releasing security updates for 10 then I guess I'll have to look at getting another AV program like it's 2002.

e: also I hate how they try to trick people into Win11, if it was good for me they wouldn't be trying to force it on me.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 12, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The writing about the death of WMR has been on the wall for a good 5 years, it’s not the fault of any specific version of windows.

Microsoft has been silent about WMR forever now, which is not good news.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I'll be dead in the ground before I accept having a taskbar on the bottom of my screen. :colbert: #UpperEdgeTaskbarGang

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Boar It posted:

I'll be dead in the ground before I accept having a taskbar on the bottom of my screen. :colbert: #UpperEdgeTaskbarGang

StartAllBack and move on with life, friend.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher is better

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Good news everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqzRK3wux3g

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

good news unless youre my safety rating!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I wonder how much of an FPS hit I'll take in VR.

IMO rain is one of those: brilliant in theory, terrible in practice things.

Rain! Realism! And we all nod our heads and agree. iRacing SHOULD have rain because it claims to be a sim and it should simulate real race conditions including rain.

Inevitable outcome: the average joe is not a real racing driver and often struggles to do such basic things as race off the racing line and every rain race will be even more of a bowling alley than usual.

I shouldn't ba-humbug. I admire their effort. I hope it works really well.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

going to sign back up and try rain on the system i originally played iracing on. an athlon x2 6000 and 8800gt

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
RAAIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyAiamSt6Lk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MicyE92I8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7coPIU5Cb4

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

They seem to have implemented genuine off line grip and slippery rubbered in spots on the normal racing line, which in terms of simulation puts it ahead of most/all. That's pretty cool.

Edit: I should go and do a back to back test session and see how the rain works with my butt kicker.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 3, 2024

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah they’ve been talking about that aspect for a while now. The depth of the rain sim is part of why it’s taken so long to release.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
And the dynamic dry -> wet -> dry looks really awesome as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXTGYf5-qd8

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
I always enjoyed the rain in ACC, it was pretty intuitive and rarely (more of) a complete poo poo show.

BUT, this iRacing system looks more unforgiving. Very excited to learn it, but I think the first couple weeks will be frustrating due to lap 1 gently caress fest.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I really want to make the most of this week 13, get in as much experience racing in the rain when SR is not a factor.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/OverTake_gg/status/1765048685660901415?s=20

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The rain is here and its better than expected and I had high hopes for it. I'm blown away how good it is.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
It’s incredibly good. Challenging but far from impossible, and the implementation is phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Rain is so good, I spent all night re learning how to drive