Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Vintersorg posted:

God I’ll miss this show. I remember not liking it all until I caught the episode where he trips Shaq and it clicked.

What a wonderful show to enjoy all these years. 😞

Never rewatched it, so that's what I'm gonna do.

He looked so young in the earlier seasons.
Still was an old(ish) bald gently caress of course, but some of the flashbacks gave me whiplash from doing double-takes.

https://i.imgur.com/ZJDmfFx.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Really enjoyed that. Biggest laugh was aunty Rae saying the fake name wrong every time she said it. and Larry asking Lewis if he was going to adopt a 40 year-old. Nice to get some Larry and Jerry banter too.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Either everyone is overanalyzing or I am underanalyzing, but the title of the episode is literally "No Lesson Learned" and I thought it was not just about Larry in the show but also the real Larry. People were very mixed on the end of Seinfeld, as you all know, and I think this was him just toying with the audience. I thought it was actually great to be doing basically the same thing just to thumb his nose at us while having his own personal good time.

What a ride no matter how you interpret the last episode!

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Could've done without Larry exclaiming "we should've ended the finale like this" or whatever, it was obvious and better without it.

Also, wasting time in the finale on the Lewis girlfriend plotline that didn't go anywhere stands out in this season full of wasted plot lines.

I did enjoy the callback to the first joke in the show, just like in the Seinfeld prison scene.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 8, 2024

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Yeah pretty sure "I never learn my lesson" is explicitly lampshaded by the fact that he was redoing the same plot as the Seinfeld finale. This one was better I think, still kinda weird because they did this same thing during the Fatwa arc, except the twist is they always take Larry's side. I thought that was clever.

Oh well. I'll miss this show.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I thought all of Jerry's riffing was pretty good, which I was kind of mad about.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Mocha Joe looked and acted eerily like a young Robert deNiro.

I mean, just slap a mole on the jaw and Scorcese could have saved a ton on the de-aging special FX for "The Irishman"

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Big Curb fan but this season sucked imo. A few good laughs here and there amongst the yelling, but overall it felt like a caricature of itself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fullroundaction posted:

I thought all of Jerry's riffing was pretty good, which I was kind of mad about.

I find Jerry kinda skeevy.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

mcmagic posted:

I find Jerry kinda skeevy.

Yeah me too that's why I'm mad that he made me laugh

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you :allears:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TheRealMarkLevy/status/1777338932046295329

Cutting the onions!!!!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Ah so happy that Richard Lewis made it to the end.
Meh on the final episode but what a great show this has been!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww, Richard :smith:

At least he got to see the end of the show's production

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I liked the episode, got some good laughs out of me. think the ending would have been stronger if Larry got shot after getting off but oh well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I immediately started a rewatch of the series this morning. It's bittersweet to see younger Richard Lewis. He was great from the beginning.

He was able to spend his remaining time with people he loved and doing what he loved. We should all that lucky.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: at Larry just walking it off. Classic.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

I liked the episode, got some good laughs out of me. think the ending would have been stronger if Larry got shot after getting off but oh well.
lol that would be the one way to make the ending as hated as the seinfeld ending just having him literally get murdered by lewis's ex, stakes totally out of balance with anything else that's ever happened on here

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He could just be hospitalized!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Henchman of Santa posted:

He could just be hospitalized!

Shot in the kidney.
"Lewis needs a kidney" is from 2005.

Cheryl Hines did such a good job of being the unlikeable and accusatory "voice of reason" over the last couple of seasons, that when she got up to say something, I immediately thought "Oh, just sit down and shut up, Cheryl. Don't make this about you!"

Well, finding out a while back she's married to RFK jr. didn't help, but it was the Cheryl character, mostly.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 8, 2024

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

lol that would be the one way to make the ending as hated as the seinfeld ending just having him literally get murdered by lewis's ex, stakes totally out of balance with anything else that's ever happened on here

I'm starting to wonder if that was the plan for if he was 100% sure that he never wanted to do any more, then he changed his mind. Would have been a crazy way to close it.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
he already died once for Richard Lewis in a season finale

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Some weeks ago I had a moment where I envisioned him getting a not guilty verdict, walking out of the courtroom triumphantly, and then getting run over by a car.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I was really expecting the Leon subplot to factor more into it. All season they've been hinting at the Seinfeld finale, then Leon (who never actually watched the show) decides to start watching it for the first time, so I thought where it was leading was that he was going to come up with a way out of the situation that the Seinfeld writers couldn't come up with. something perhaps to do with the fact that he was a mid-series addition. instead it just winds up being a joke about how many women Jerry gets with in the show. not exactly a new observation. idk the whole season's felt disjointed in that way. as though most of the episodes were just rewritten and reshot at some point.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

no

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Shocked that we never found out if the fish was thriving or not.

and I know that guy so it would have been funny seeing him again

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He was gunned down outside of the jail sopranos style.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

grahm posted:

Big Curb fan but this season sucked imo. A few good laughs here and there amongst the yelling, but overall it felt like a caricature of itself.

I mean, the last few seasons have definitely been the weakest of the whole lot. It's such a strong show though that even a 'mediocre' season of curb still has high-highs that are hilarious and put it above most comedy shows.

This season was no different. There were a few very funny episodes (I think 2, 3, and the finale were the strongest 3) and at least one great scene or big payoff in every episode.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ruddiger posted:

He was gunned down outside of the jail sopranos style.

That legit would've been the perfect ending. Just Larry looking up and it cuts to black LMAO

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 9, 2024

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

That legit would've been the perfecting ending. Just Larry looking up and it cuts to black LMAO

Actually some sort of race to mention as many bad/cliche TV show endings as possible would have been great

Larry, the last one to leave the courthouse, lingers in the doorframe and takes one more longing look before slowly turning around and leaving. But suddenly he finds himself in a church, and all his friends are there! Cut to him waking up in bed in a cold sweat, with Cheryl assuring him he just had a bad dream. The camera zooms out to reveal they've been in a snowglobe the entire time. The child admiring the snow globe suddenly looks up and sees a giant meteor about to hit the earth

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The first episode I watched was the final episode of the Producers season, the one with the Jerry in the crowd GIF and Stephen Colbert.

What a great show. I don't care that this season wasn't one of the better ones, I still loved watching it. RIP Richard Lewis.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

curb has been so underwhelming the last few seasons that the thread is now producing funnier and more cohesive ideas than what was aired

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

panko posted:

curb has been so underwhelming the last few seasons that the thread is now producing funnier and more cohesive ideas than what was aired

This is wrong. Some of the “plot” of the show has been less cohesive than past seasons, but the space for the comedians to riff has expanded greatly.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

show dead.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/GeraldoRivera/status/1777353245876207789

lol

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

fwiw I liked season 10 (the mocha joe season) but 11 and 12 largely stunk. there are intermittent high points but what larry wants to gripe about is so tersely strung together and dated that it detracts from the riffing you mention (which definitely was also prevalent prior to these past seasons, so having more room for it just highlights how lacking the overall plot is). examples off the top of my head, there was an extended siri riff, the wordle spoiler argument, jeff referencing the will smith slap, and the rudy hair dye

if comedians had more room to riff with larry then it’s a shame that ike barinholtz, conan, matt berry, bill hader in season 11, et al’s parts were underwhelming and underdeveloped

not to say that curb is awful. concepts like dream scheming and the gettysburg piss are funny. its that there isn’t as much connective tissue between scenes in contrast to prior seasons. even after larry trips on a long coat and pisses himself at ted danson’s play he’s driving home with unsoiled pants immediately afterward

my takeaway from this season is that larry really hates cleaning staff he perceives as lazy

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

lmao he really does act the same way he does on the show

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: Get owned Geraldo you bitch.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

panko posted:

fwiw I liked season 10 (the mocha joe season) but 11 and 12 largely stunk. there are intermittent high points but what larry wants to gripe about is so tersely strung together and dated that it detracts from the riffing you mention (which definitely was also prevalent prior to these past seasons, so having more room for it just highlights how lacking the overall plot is). examples off the top of my head, there was an extended siri riff, the wordle spoiler argument, jeff referencing the will smith slap, and the rudy hair dye

if comedians had more room to riff with larry then it’s a shame that ike barinholtz, conan, matt berry, bill hader in season 11, et al’s parts were underwhelming and underdeveloped

not to say that curb is awful. concepts like dream scheming and the gettysburg piss are funny. its that there isn’t as much connective tissue between scenes in contrast to prior seasons. even after larry trips on a long coat and pisses himself at ted danson’s play he’s driving home with unsoiled pants immediately afterward

my takeaway from this season is that larry really hates cleaning staff he perceives as lazy

yeah the show seemed to lose a lot of its cohesiveness post-Covid, which I guess is to be expected. this season especially you can tell a lot of bits were combined and rewritten and maybe even reshot, there were so many weird loose ends which you never saw in this show or Seinfeld. and yeah all the references to the 2020 election felt pretty off given this aired in 2024

S11 and S12 werent great but they had plenty of funny bits. I thought S9 and S10 were as good as the earlier seasons though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Larry clearly having MSNBC blasting in his house 24/7 since the election definitely means the last two seasons won't have the timeless quality of the other ten.