Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That was Toyota Jan attacking Larry's car leaving Bruce's house (she was in an early season as well, apparently). :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The finale preview clip montage has gotten me to restart the show from the beginning. I don't think I had ever seen the hour long special from 1999 that ended up becoming the show. Obviously 25 years older.....but Larry David doesn't look all that much different.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

kiminewt posted:

Decent ep but the masseuse subplot didn't really go anywhere. Maybe she'll show up in the trial to tell us Larry is a Very Bad Man.

(Spoilers based on the synopsis for the last episode)
The synopsis doesn't mention the trial but it's impossible to imagine the series ending without, or it being a three minute thing at the end of the episode so it's weird.

The episode itself is titled No Lessons Learned which can have a double meaning since it can refer to the “no hugging, no learning” theme he had on seinfeld, as well as the idea that he didn't learn his lesson from making the last episode a trial. If larry manages to remake the last episode of seinfeld in a good way as a meta joke, it would retroactively make that show's last episode worthwhile.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Rageaholic posted:

he was pretty obviously disgusted that he used to hook up with a trans person

You've misread the scene in your effort to dog whistle transphobia. Larry wouldn't and doesn't care that Kendra is now a Ken and isn't denying Ken's right to be whatever he wants to be. Others have already pointed out that's not the source of his discomfort, and it's hilarious when actual transgender people have better senses of humor than the people getting upset over things they don't understand.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ngl I'm kinda tired of Cheryl getting to be high road ballbuster all the time when her clownass is married to RFK jr

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Alan Smithee posted:

ngl I'm kinda tired of Cheryl getting to be high road ballbuster all the time when her clownass is married to RFK jr

I like to think that Larry is giving her that stuff to mock her.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The finale preview clip montage has gotten me to restart the show from the beginning. I don't think I had ever seen the hour long special from 1999 that ended up becoming the show. Obviously 25 years older.....but Larry David doesn't look all that much different.

Also.....CYE was good right off the bat. Need to remind myself that every once in a while.....because a lot of the great sitcoms (even modern ones) take a season or two in order to hit their stride.

Thoughts on the "HD" conversion for the first six seasons? Wasn't sure if I was going to like having the picture cropped so that it would be full 16:9.....but the picture actually looks pretty good.
And even though it is a bit zoomed in.....I can't think of anything that really gets lost on a show like this and may prefer it to the pillarbox.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Also.....CYE was good right off the bat. Need to remind myself that every once in a while.....because a lot of the great sitcoms (even modern ones) take a season or two in order to hit their stride.

Thoughts on the "HD" conversion for the first six seasons? Wasn't sure if I was going to like having the picture cropped so that it would be full 16:9.....but the picture actually looks pretty good.
And even though it is a bit zoomed in.....I can't think of anything that really gets lost on a show like this and may prefer it to the pillarbox.

I wish more modern TV would use 4:3, honestly. It creates different shots for different tones than people use with 16:9. I don't feel like I'm losing anything when I watch DS9 DVDs, still. I like the framing.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Super Deuce posted:

I wish more modern TV would use 4:3, honestly. It creates different shots for different tones than people use with 16:9. I don't feel like I'm losing anything when I watch DS9 DVDs, still. I like the framing.

I wouldn't be shocked if this became a thing over the next decade. people get nostalgic for the limitations of the media they grew up with and the last kids who grew up with 4:3 shows are getting old enough to have creative influence on stuff

anyways, all I want from curb is resolution on the fish.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Thoughts on the "HD" conversion for the first six seasons? Wasn't sure if I was going to like having the picture cropped so that it would be full 16:9.....but the picture actually looks pretty, prettay, prettay good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hopefully it looks better than Seinfeld on Netflix, which looks like absolute dogshit with that grainy rear end upscale they did.

Cropping also really sucks.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hopefully it looks better than Seinfeld on Netflix, which looks like absolute dogshit with that grainy rear end upscale they did.

Cropping also really sucks.

At this point I rarely watch Seinfeld, rather listen to it.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

robot roll call posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if this became a thing over the next decade. people get nostalgic for the limitations of the media they grew up with and the last kids who grew up with 4:3 shows are getting old enough to have creative influence on stuff

anyways, all I want from curb is resolution on the fish.

Should we have a poll predicting whether fish dead or fish thriving?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I rewatched the whole show before the final season and IMO there is quite a lot of it that hasn't aged great. I think a good counter-point is Always Sunny, thats aged pretty perfectly as every racist/homophobic etc. joke is always 100% at the expense of the characters.

With Curb, yeah the joke is that Larry is being a dick and saying things someone wouldn't normally say, but there is often an element I think is supposed to be related of like, hey isn't it annoying as a rich white guy who says it as it is, that you always get accused of racism, or pointing out you don't think someones really disabled, or accidentally getting accused of sexual assault due to a comical series of misunderstandings. It happens to all of us these days!

Like the masseuse in the last episode, it's happened multiple times in the series now that Larry gets accused of sexual assault, as though thats a thing that could comically happen these days now that everyone is aware.

Even a lot of the little things, putting waitstaff and chauffeurs in uncomfortable situations come of too mean-spirited to me. As though LD is like aren't these little things people do annoying and imagine if someone could go around and tell the truth, not really grasping how unlikeable it is to put these people in situations where they could get fired.

I agree a bit with the Ken/Kendra stuff. Mostly titling the episode that way gives it a salacious vibe of woah what's this wacky episode of a woman who used to be a man going to be about?

It's all just minor stuff though, I know its borderline and I could be taking some stuff the wrong way, still enjoy the show and am looking forward to the finale.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

counterpoint: i rewatched the show recently and the whole thing is still hilarious. also, not reading all that

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

if you’re looking for moral direction from a comedy show…idk maybe try a book instead.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Larry literally got a happy ending from an Asian masseuse in an earlier season and it was a throwaway joke

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I don't have too much to add but I just wanted to say I hear you and I agree. It's almost like Larry's age combined with his familiarity to me (my family has been watching this show since it premiered; it was one of the first "adult" shows my parents let me watch with them) lets him get away with being juuust on the razor's edge of taste. A couple of seasons ago he did a whole scene about consent that I found to be not only unfunny but in pretty poor taste, but unlike 95% of people who do things that make me narrow my eyes, Larry kinda gets a pass from me when it's Curb. I mentioned upthread that the first 2 eps got zero laughs out of me but I kept watching anyways (and I'm glad I did)

Also excited for the finale!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Annabel Pee posted:

I rewatched the whole show before the final season and IMO there is quite a lot of it that hasn't aged great. I think a good counter-point is Always Sunny, thats aged pretty perfectly as every racist/homophobic etc. joke is always 100% at the expense of the characters.

With Curb, yeah the joke is that Larry is being a dick and saying things someone wouldn't normally say, but there is often an element I think is supposed to be related of like, hey isn't it annoying as a rich white guy who says it as it is, that you always get accused of racism, or pointing out you don't think someones really disabled, or accidentally getting accused of sexual assault due to a comical series of misunderstandings. It happens to all of us these days!

Like the masseuse in the last episode, it's happened multiple times in the series now that Larry gets accused of sexual assault, as though thats a thing that could comically happen these days now that everyone is aware.

Even a lot of the little things, putting waitstaff and chauffeurs in uncomfortable situations come of too mean-spirited to me. As though LD is like aren't these little things people do annoying and imagine if someone could go around and tell the truth, not really grasping how unlikeable it is to put these people in situations where they could get fired.

I agree a bit with the Ken/Kendra stuff. Mostly titling the episode that way gives it a salacious vibe of woah what's this wacky episode of a woman who used to be a man going to be about?

It's all just minor stuff though, I know its borderline and I could be taking some stuff the wrong way, still enjoy the show and am looking forward to the finale.

Larry is often trying to go out of his way to make people NOT feel uncomfortable, which often backfires, suggestion that sometimes it is ok to let people around you help out or that "helping" isn't actually help.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah I'm not knocking the show for the record, just that some if it might not have aged perfectly. Which is still good for an edgy comedy running for 24 years.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't really see why her character is in the show now. They have been divorced for years at this point in the show. Like why is she the one busting in upset about the masseuse? I guess Larry doesn't really have a female character on the show besides her at this point to do that, but maybe just don't do that plot line.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

gurragadon posted:

I don't really see why her character is in the show now. They have been divorced for years at this point in the show. Like why is she the one busting in upset about the masseuse? I guess Larry doesn't really have a female character on the show besides her at this point to do that, but maybe just don't do that plot line.

Their social circles overlap quite a bit.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Their social circles overlap quite a bit.

I guess. I dunno, the show follows real time for the most part and the divorce season was in 2011. Kind of seems like that season screwed him out of some of his basic setups.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

gurragadon posted:

I guess Larry doesn't really have a female character on the show besides her at this point to do that, but maybe just don't do that plot line.

The show has felt a bit off with just Bachelor Larry since Irma left

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gurragadon posted:

She recommended the masseuse and it’s the one she’s been using they say it at the beginning of the episode

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Alan Smithee posted:

Larry literally got a happy ending from an Asian masseuse in an earlier season and it was a throwaway joke

I just started rewatching the series since I always saw it piecemeal in the early 2000's, and I do not think the masseuse is Asian if it is the one that happens in season 2, not sure if that makes the joke age better or not.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Alan Smithee posted:

She was a redhead, and Larry said no! Mid-event! Do you know how hard that is to do?!

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
lol I forgot about that, that’s the weird one with the psychic

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/RachelShukert/status/1775258047763632215

it's true.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They're married

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

That tweet made me look up and holy poo poo, JB Smoove is 58 years old?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Angryhead posted:

That tweet made me look up and holy poo poo, JB Smoove is 58 years old?

See....that doesn't surprise me. He's looking noticeably older, imo.

But who cares.....we need a Leon spinoff!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I would have thought a little older than 58 but he’s still doing fine

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

J.B. Smoove Isn’t Ready to Say Goodbye to ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’: ‘I Might Never Get a Gift Like That Again’

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Paraphrasing, but the line "My sperm is so strong your baby's going to come out with a mustache and bad credit" was probably the first belly laugh of this season for me

Just to provide a little more substance with this post, I really enjoyed JB Smoove as Frederick Douglass in Epic Rap Battles of History. The way he starts off his verse/rebuttal is 0% Frederick Douglass and 100% JB Smoove and I love it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ZblMfZpuw

.........You finished?............... ....Okay. ..........

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Curb Your Ensmooviasm

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
JB is also the best part of the classic film "Pootie Tang"

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Leon has to be the best mid-series addition of all time. it's almost impossible to imagine the show without him at this point

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

He had me at "a jackulit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

robot roll call posted:

Leon has to be the best mid-series addition of all time. it's almost impossible to imagine the show without him at this point

It's a joke that just gets better with time, the sheer number of years Larry has been living with this random dude. Explicitly referencing it in dialogue or trying to give it an emotional core would ruin it, it's so much better that Leon just didn't leave and has now been Larry's platonic life partner for two decades.