Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pretty solid episode. The frequency with which we get 75-year-old rich liberal takes on current events in recent seasons wears on me, especially because the production schedule cannot remotely keep up with the pace of news (I forgot the Trump mugshot was even a thing before opening this thread), but it’s still the same old Curb. Maybe even overstuffed with things Larry wants to riff on with no real follow up (another thing that has really picked up in recent seasons). I always love when it’s clear something has been sitting the little notepad of his for a while, like “how long do you need to know someone before they can call you a nickname?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mcbexx posted:

No payoff/fallout at all from Leon taking a bite of the birthday cake?
Why even put it in there?

Sloppy.

That's what I mean with late season episodes feeling overstuffed. I feel like Larry now feels the need to get every last funny idea he had out onto the screen for a quick gag if there's not the usual Curb setup and payoff. This episode had the cake, Siri not understanding him, taking the food from the sad waiter, the awkwardly long hotel walk (I thought it was gonna be a guy thirsting for tips and walking him to somewhere easy).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiminewt posted:

Is it just me or was there a weird amount of product placement in this episode?

Not sure how much Apple appreciates one of their signature features being shown to be terrible. Other than that I only remember a prominent Delta sign, which makes sense since they were flying to Atlanta.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’ve listened to the first couple and they are…not good at podcasting. But I like the idea.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not a very good episode but as someone with UC the public bathroom thing is very relatable. Never run into that issue in retail specifically but food places where you need a code are a different story.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SirPablo posted:

CYE and Larry going down in a blaze of "gently caress you" glory to the chuds.

This is all part of his feud with Alan Dershowitz.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Angryhead posted:

Anyway what was the deal with how Larry uh shaked/waved in the bathroom? Happened twice this episode and I'm wondering if I'm missing some context.

Another one of those vaguely funny ideas he needs to get out there without any sort of payoff. Larry is a hygiene freak to the extent that he's trying to soap the entire bathroom. That's the whole joke.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It came out when I was 8, I started watching it when I was in late high school and now I'm in my 30s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SirPablo posted:

Someone remind me why Irma is still in the picture.

Her sponsor urged Larry not to break up with her just yet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They probably do have a more limited supply of ingredients for breakfast generally (not everything is eggs) but it's also a way to get people to pay more. McDonald's got rid of their all-day breakfast because instead of bringing in people that just love breakfast food, their regular customers just ordered off that menu because it's cheaper. Either way when Larry is having a gripe with service workers you should just assume he's wrong and being an rear end in a top hat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
IMDb said one of the golfers was Adam Schiff lmao

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As dark as it is now, "when are you gonna die?" remains one of the funniest moments in Curb history.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i'm gonna re-watch season 5 in richard's honor. some people don't like that season but they're wrong

Who? That's the best season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can’t explain why but the funniest Lewis delivery to me is when he finds out Jon Hamm is playing a movie character based on Larry and he says “What’s the movie? The Biggest rear end in a top hat Who Ever Lived?”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Curb is like the most LA show to ever be on TV man lol.

It does have two seasons set in New York tbf.

The small world nature of CYE is somewhat of a contrivance but it’s important to remember that it takes place almost entirely among a particular tax bracket and there are only so many people in its various ritzy neighborhoods.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why is this show doing Will Smith slap jokes in 2024

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JAMOOOL posted:

seems clear to me a lot of this was written between 2020-2022 but had to wait until now due to pandemic issues

They already did a whole season filmed after COVID!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Gotta be honest I didn't connect the fake punch scene to the Will Smith slap at all. It was a funny bit, and I forgot that poo poo ever happened TBH.

It was the yelling about keeping my wife's business out of your mouth shortly after Larry offended a woman who he didn't realize had alopecia that made it clear he was doing the Slap.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Frankly not sure if it makes the gags better or worse that people missed the reference.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought the whole episode was solid. I would love to see other takes of the first Conan conversation.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mcbexx posted:

I am sure we will see him in the final "trial" episode, but if not, his last appearance on this show was sniffing around in his stinky car ... :sniff:

His final appearance being yet another time Larry ruined his relationship with "The One" would be fitting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah it's not like it would be weird for someone like Steve Buscemi to have vintage cars and connections to other famous people in LA. Then again Sean Hayes was on one of the biggest shows in America and nobody bats an eye at him playing a lawyer married to a guy played by another person from a huge comedy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also it’s LA. All the celebrities Larry knows are in the industry and they know who the big shot producers and writers are. I think his general level of fame on the show is about reasonable, and it climbs when he does stuff like The Producers. But he’s still low profile enough that he is just some bald rear end in a top hat to the average person he meets.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think they dated before he got with Susie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

I mean, Ken was obviously making it uncomfortable for Larry. They shouldn't have mentioned anything at all about their relationship. That was super uncouth.

Yeah I don't think the episode is itself anymore transphobic than the one where Larry recoils from Laverne Cox because she's sick (after already falling out of her good graces because he couldn't help himself asking about her genitals). Larry's discomfort is always the butt of the joke, trans actors are always playing the roles and agreeing to play along. This show has always mined humor out of the idea that people the audience feels inherent sympathy for can be just as rude as Larry is (like the Michael J. Fox episode). Compared to what most 76-year-old comics would be doing with the concept it's revelatory.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It was a bit gay panicky as he kept insisting on hooking up with Kendra as if that’s a different person. Fair enough to be put off by it at the moment. I just think calling it “a transphobic episode” is like calling the numerous ones where he gets himself in hot water with Black people “racist episodes” etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That’s the one where they compete for the same woman and both lose her.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought his first scene was lame but him narrating the book is perfect use of him. Was Patricia Heaton getting handsy?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
JB is also the best part of the classic film "Pootie Tang"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think that's the first season I watched as it aired. Almost half my life ago.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was expecting Allison Janney to take him out like Jack Ruby, or for his phone to crash the plane or something.

Good but not amazing finale, love that the Ski Lift and the Doll were among the flashbacks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Whose cameos do you all wish we could’ve gotten? When they started talking about “wheelchair hookers” I was hoping for Denise Handicapped and Wendy Wheelchair. Or maybe some of the regulars from the early days like Wanda Sykes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Dean Norris’ southern accent was one of the worst I’ve ever heard lol.

What a great ride this was, I’ll miss everyone.

Can't believe someone watched Claws and was like "he should do that on Curb!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He could just be hospitalized!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Larry clearly having MSNBC blasting in his house 24/7 since the election definitely means the last two seasons won't have the timeless quality of the other ten.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mcmagic posted:

larry is such an MSNBC lib for real. he donated to mayo pete!!!!!!!

I choose to believe he was genuinely following through on his claim that he needed Sanders to lose so he didn't have to keep flying to New York to do SNL every week.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Seasons 4 and 5 are the best to me. The Ski Lift, The Car Pool Lane, The Survivor, etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's been years since I've seen a scone without thinking "I don't think you know what a scone is, Mocha Joe."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hacks comes back in a couple of weeks.