Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Jehde posted:

Anti-breakfast service is wild. You ever try ordering breakfast at a wendy's at 10:28 am? I don't know why but food service workers just really hate serving breakfast.

when I worked at BK transitioning between breakfast and lunch was a pretty big ordeal, you have to replace all the trays and clean/empty a bunch of stuff, plus it's all different buns. so like 15 minutes before we'd stop making more breakfast stuff and hope to coast on what we had, and if it wasn't enough yeah it was pretty obnoxious having to make more when all the lunch stuff was coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
gotta say I do find all the references to 2020-2022 stuff a bit distracting - It's Always Sunny did a Giuliani hair dye joke TWO seasons ago

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

definitely the best episode of the season so far though Irma running into the Disney girl right after leaving Larry was way too on the nose. I swear only like 50 people live in Curb's version of NYC

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Curb is like the most LA show to ever be on TV man lol.

at a certain point it was in NYC though right? but yea you know what I mean :)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why is this show doing Will Smith slap jokes in 2024

seems clear to me a lot of this was written between 2020-2022 but had to wait until now due to pandemic issues

Alan Smithee posted:

i have to agree cutting off an AYCE buffet after 4 plates is some bullshit

it didn't really seem like Leon was actually eating any of it though

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

They already did a whole season filmed after COVID!

I'd heard most of S11 was written prior to it though. theres only one reference to it which quite frankly is a lot weirder than just not referencing it at all

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

its good to see him but yeah he looks like a corpse these last few episodes, kind of hard to laugh at what he's saying

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah it was definitely weird being in the same episode where Conan appeared. I think the general rule is well-known comedians play themselves, everyone else is a character

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Would Larry still be a big celebrity in the Curb Universe where Curb Your Enthusiasm is not a thing?

I guess he's had the play and the Seinfeld reunion and now Young Larry.

yes because of Young Larry :)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

but yeah that's a good question like what was Larry's level of celebrity even when Seinfeld was at its peak? like the dudes who made Malcolm in the Middle or That 90's Show probably never get recognized in public, obviously Seinfeld was bigger but did people really know who he was? like how would Young Larry get made? there sure as hell wouldn't be a Young Chuck Lorre

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah one of the best long-running Curb jokes is the fact that its never explained why Leon still lives with Larry, its just an implicit "who cares, he's funny"

this last one felt kinda disjointed and weird, like it was patched together from two different episodes. Matt Berry was hilarious though. I know the show has always been this way but its really starting to feel like King's Quest, every plotline is just a long winding series of tasks Larry must complete for some convoluted reason. didn't really get why the masseuse who was accusing Larry of sexual harrassment was also comfortable riding in the car with him alone

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Yeah pretty sure "I never learn my lesson" is explicitly lampshaded by the fact that he was redoing the same plot as the Seinfeld finale. This one was better I think, still kinda weird because they did this same thing during the Fatwa arc, except the twist is they always take Larry's side. I thought that was clever.

Oh well. I'll miss this show.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

he already died once for Richard Lewis in a season finale

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I was really expecting the Leon subplot to factor more into it. All season they've been hinting at the Seinfeld finale, then Leon (who never actually watched the show) decides to start watching it for the first time, so I thought where it was leading was that he was going to come up with a way out of the situation that the Seinfeld writers couldn't come up with. something perhaps to do with the fact that he was a mid-series addition. instead it just winds up being a joke about how many women Jerry gets with in the show. not exactly a new observation. idk the whole season's felt disjointed in that way. as though most of the episodes were just rewritten and reshot at some point.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

lmao he really does act the same way he does on the show

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

panko posted:

fwiw I liked season 10 (the mocha joe season) but 11 and 12 largely stunk. there are intermittent high points but what larry wants to gripe about is so tersely strung together and dated that it detracts from the riffing you mention (which definitely was also prevalent prior to these past seasons, so having more room for it just highlights how lacking the overall plot is). examples off the top of my head, there was an extended siri riff, the wordle spoiler argument, jeff referencing the will smith slap, and the rudy hair dye

if comedians had more room to riff with larry then it’s a shame that ike barinholtz, conan, matt berry, bill hader in season 11, et al’s parts were underwhelming and underdeveloped

not to say that curb is awful. concepts like dream scheming and the gettysburg piss are funny. its that there isn’t as much connective tissue between scenes in contrast to prior seasons. even after larry trips on a long coat and pisses himself at ted danson’s play he’s driving home with unsoiled pants immediately afterward

my takeaway from this season is that larry really hates cleaning staff he perceives as lazy

yeah the show seemed to lose a lot of its cohesiveness post-Covid, which I guess is to be expected. this season especially you can tell a lot of bits were combined and rewritten and maybe even reshot, there were so many weird loose ends which you never saw in this show or Seinfeld. and yeah all the references to the 2020 election felt pretty off given this aired in 2024

S11 and S12 werent great but they had plenty of funny bits. I thought S9 and S10 were as good as the earlier seasons though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

one thing I found pretty cute was their affinity for the Mocha Joe actor, taking this minor one episode character and then breaking him back much later for an entire season. and then bringing him back twice the next season, once to play a totally different character lmao