Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Split the award into comeback player of the year, based on a guy who sucked or was irrelevant playing well again, and inspirational player of the year, based on coming back from bad injury

Both Hamlin and Flacco deserved the comeback award for different reasons, and the comeback award has awarded both sides of the argument before. Geno won it last year from being just a dude who sucked and nobody thought was good and Alex Smith won it in 2020 after his horrible leg injury despite putting up middle of the road perfomances in like 5 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

Hamlin and smith are false equivalents here cmon

Not really? Both comebacks are notable for the injury they came back from, not the play on the field the year they came back.

Smith did more on the field during his comeback but he spent most of the year still hurt and didn't do anything special as a football guy, but his injury was so severe it could have genuinely killed him or at least took his leg. Hamlin made even less impact on the field but he literally died on the turf the year before. Both are inspirational comebacks but not because of their play.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

Ones a starting QB who played mediocre and the other was a special teamer. You’re reaching, hard.

If your logic held up, and then give that award to every single person who had an injury that they considered to be career threatening, and that list goes on much bigger than Alex Smith.

Life threatening

Not just career threatening

Life threatening

Not to mention you were pointing out that it is a performance based award, which it usually is, but Smith won it despite a mediocre performance, because his injury was catastrophic. Hamlin was also coming back from an unprecedented injury of, you know, literally death

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 10, 2024

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

so with every single injury… would you have us breaking down who does and doesn’t deserve comeback player… based on the severity of the injury alone? What’s our cutoff for what is considered life threatening?

I understand the emotional overreaction to the dude - it’s scary he almost died and it’s awesome he’s back. But he literally barely qualifies as the second part of the award - the label “player”

Maybe time to create a new award. The come back from the light medal.

That was my whole point from the beginning, separate into comeback from injury like an inspiration award and a regular comeback award, like for Flacco or Geno who simply came back from being irrelevant or poo poo. The problem is comeback player is very poorly defined and we've had winners and nominees featuring the entire spectrum of comebacks now

You can see the divide in thinking in the ranked voting itself:
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1755798579573362749?t=bArebUu4kpUzIfcFmMeGCQ&s=19

Damar easily got the most first place votes, so even among voters his comeback counts despite not making an impact. Flacco won because he got everyone's second place vote. People who felt on field performance mattered either voted for Flacco or Baker and put Flacco or Baker second, people who voted for Damar probably put Flacco second and the math worked out in Flaccos favor.