Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

got some coffee thats been sitting here on my desk for a while and its gone cold. is the microwave the best way to reheat it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it literally energises it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
if you just keep topping it up and microwaving it every so often, you can work on the same cup of coffee for weeks to months. weird oil slick and stained cup optional, but recommended.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raluek posted:

if you just keep topping it up and microwaving it every so often, you can work on the same cup of coffee for weeks to months. weird oil slick and stained cup optional, but recommended.

that does sound like a neat trick. gonna try it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
cut back on your coffee consumption in one easy step!

its like the moms with the giant wine glass that holds an entire bottle, but less conspicuous

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
when this happens I simply drink it cold

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

what is it with Yanks and heating water for hot drinks in the microwave

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it works good. hth

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just get fresh coffee at work for free from the machine, but I did this with tea at home. Make one huge teapot and of course it'll be cold before I can finish it. Mash the Start button twice and the cup is nice and hot again.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Dijkstracula posted:

we have poo poo 110v power delivery so it takes forever for an electric kettle to heat up.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Raluek posted:

this is known as “sloppy toppy”

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the brew of theseus

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

microwaving cold coffee is fine. I don't think it really affects the taste.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it meAns gnr coffee as too hot in the first place

coffee should be drunk on one swoop

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
a polish newspaper ran an editorial about how the redactor's son is an entitled lazy git who no longer uses a kettle and instead microwaves tea water and it made me think of this thread

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

this thread is a direct attack on rotor and im here for it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Armitag3 posted:

this thread is a direct attack on rotor and im here for it

if you wanna see a direct attack on rotor, i just posted a video about cnc woodworking as a side hustle to earn some extra cash money in the wood thread

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted:

if you wanna see a direct attack on rotor, i just posted a video about cnc woodworking as a side hustle to earn some extra cash money in the wood thread

enjoy you are ban

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Dijkstracula posted:

it’s because the electricity is weak poo poo. the entire time I was in America I used the microwave to make tea because waiting for an electric kettle takes too long

e;fb

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I just use a stovetop kettle

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

it literally energises it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i microwave my coffee when it goes cold

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

OldAlias posted:

I just use a stovetop kettle

do you pour the coffee into the kettle, heat it up, then pour it back into your cup???

microwave seems a lot easier than all that

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
i have a little coffee warmer thing on my desk but it doesn’t do a great job so i end up microwaving it most of the time

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

do you pour the coffee into the kettle, heat it up, then pour it back into your cup???

microwave seems a lot easier than all that

my coffee doesn’t tend to sit around long enough to need reheating

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

my coffee maker turns off automatically after like 2 hours, so by 9 am it's starting to get cold

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

microwaving cold coffee is cool, good, and tasty. just don't keep it warm before (ideally refrigerate), and heat it gently.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

could someone please explain why british people think boiling water in the microwave is worse, somehow?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

could someone please explain why british people think boiling water in the microwave is worse, somehow?

it activates all the bacteria from the dead pigeons in the open topped hot water cisterns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

it activates all the bacteria from the dead pigeons in the open topped hot water cisterns

lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

slower and less energy efficient.

also of course an electric kettle shuts off once the water boils. and for an extra $5 you can specify temperature and have it keep it at that temperature.

like, microwave away, but it is not just "here's some obscure reasons", an electric kettle is *obviously* better.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 7, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

do you cook a roast chicken in the microwave? do you deep fry potatoes in the microwave? how’s that microwave fried chicken taste

exactly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you prefer your coffee soggy then sure use the microwave

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

slower and less energy efficient.
do y'all have space kettles that work in 90 seconds?

also I have literally heard someone say out loud that it's "worse" for tea

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

qirex posted:

they do. like silver alicorn said, the 220V euro circuits are way better for electric kettles than 110V american circuits

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

timed boiling 500 ml just now, kettle did it in 1 minute 49 seconds, microwave in 5 minutes 50 seconds.

and, yeah, since if you do drink tea you'll probably pay the $5 for temperature control on the kettle, and tea is for sure better if you have *some* idea of the temperature (and the minutes you stand in front of the microwave staring at the water will not be a good method).

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have a zojirushu water boiler. 180f water instantly any time I want

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
godwins law except it’s about how every conversation ends up about zojirushu appliances

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

they’re really good op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Asleep Style posted:

they do. like silver alicorn said, the 220V euro circuits are way better for electric kettles than 110V american circuits

in australisia we have 240v :smugmrgw:

isn’t it the total wattage that matters anyways? 2.4kw is the maximum power draw