Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

microwaving cold coffee is cool, good, and tasty. just don't keep it warm before (ideally refrigerate), and heat it gently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

could someone please explain why british people think boiling water in the microwave is worse, somehow?

slower and less energy efficient.

also of course an electric kettle shuts off once the water boils. and for an extra $5 you can specify temperature and have it keep it at that temperature.

like, microwave away, but it is not just "here's some obscure reasons", an electric kettle is *obviously* better.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 7, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

do y'all have space kettles that work in 90 seconds?

also I have literally heard someone say out loud that it's "worse" for tea

timed boiling 500 ml just now, kettle did it in 1 minute 49 seconds, microwave in 5 minutes 50 seconds.

and, yeah, since if you do drink tea you'll probably pay the $5 for temperature control on the kettle, and tea is for sure better if you have *some* idea of the temperature (and the minutes you stand in front of the microwave staring at the water will not be a good method).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

i installed a 240v outlet in my house yesterday

grats on your cybertruck bud

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Do you have one of those weird 200w Japanese microwaves they use for baking? 90 seconds in my microwave gives me 200° on the button, which is low for how I like to brew coffee but is exactly what my wife uses to brew tea. Perfectly reasonable for reheating.

We use a slow American kettle for brewing, microwave is just for reheating.

as you made me do math at the small hours of (e: saturday morning): gently caress you, never post again

more realistically: you're just wrong.

raising 0.5 liters of water from 10 degrees celsius to 100 (that's from the tap, here, to boiling) requires ~0.05 kWh. which done over 90 seconds becomes 2 kilowatts. and as microwaves are at best around 60% effective unless you have a microwave that draws 3300 watts you're simply full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

im forming a posse right now to kill them

ty.

(yeah i am just pointlessly annoyed, but it was one of those where i was scrolling through before bed and through my own extreme stupidity got distracted into doing numbers)