Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I say South Dakota. Not only is there barely anything famous there, most people don't even really connect its few famous things (like Deadwood and Mt. Rushmore) to the state, or confuse it with Wyoming or North Dakota or somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm not convinced Indiana exists.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

West Virginia

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama are a completely undifferentiated mass in my mind

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

If you ask someone to name a city in South Dakota they'll probably say Sioux City. Because they're confusing Sioux City, IA with Sioux Falls, SD.

And it says something that Sioux City is more famous than Sioux Falls despite the latter being a bigger city.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New Hampshire is like Vermont, but without any famous citizens. Or a notable Coat Factory.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'm not convinced Indiana exists.

I think Indiana has a higher profile than Iowa at least, if only because the former seems to absorb the latter in the public consciousness (and yes entirely because they both begin with "I" and end in "A").

Also there is no movie called "New Hampshire Jones and the Temple of Doom."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
has anyone ever actually been to nebraska

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually thought about this the other day. Delaware, Arkansas, and Nebraska are the three where in always like “oh yeah, that exists.”

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Deadwood's a popular show but I don't think most people know or care that it's a real town and even if they do they don't know or care what state it's in, and even THEN they probably think that state is North Dakota or Wyoming.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I actually thought about this the other day. Delaware, Arkansas, and Nebraska are the three where in always like “oh yeah, that exists.”

yeah Nebraska might be the actual winner

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Jabor posted:

has anyone ever actually been to nebraska

It's real bad

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Missouri and arkansas

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The beginning of Star Trek V takes place in Yosemite National Park. It also has a deleted scene in which Sulu and Chekov walk past Mt. Rushmore.

Now, I'm not saying that Sulu and Chekov for sure are also supposed to be in Yosemite National Park and that the filmmakers assumed that's where Mt. Rushmore must be because they had never heard of a state called "South Dakota" before... but there's also ZERO evidence that is not precisely 100% what happened there, either!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Nebraska. Where even is this poo poo? What goes on in this unholy territory?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not from America and I tried to write down all 50 states from memory during a covid lockdown cos thats the kind of thing you do.
I got them all eventually but the one that gave me trouble was West Virginia for some reason. The boring middle square states are kind of famous for being boring.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Guam, maybe. How often do you think about Guam? I don't care if it's a state or not, the people who live on the islands have american passports.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

EoinCannon posted:

I'm not from America and I tried to write down all 50 states from memory during a covid lockdown cos thats the kind of thing you do.
I got them all eventually but the one that gave me trouble was West Virginia for some reason. The boring middle square states are kind of famous for being boring.

this is just sick

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
South Dakota has Mt. Rushmore, which kinda elevates to 'not completely irrelevant'.

I'm going to instead put forth North Dakota, Nebraska and Wyoming which have [gently caress all].

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I don't know why South Dakota gets so much poo poo, what the gently caress is in North Dakota?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah I don't know why South Dakota gets so much poo poo, what the gently caress is in North Dakota?

A bunch of big fiberglass animals and The Enchanted Highway wooooooooooo.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
If not for a cartoon chicken monger no one would have anything to say about kentucky

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Devils Affricate posted:

Fargo stuff

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Delaware.

It's actually the first state but I don't think I've ever heard a single thing interesting about it or anything that ever happened in it.

Nebraska is at least famous for being such a nothing state. Nobody talks about Delaware for any reason.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Guam, maybe. How often do you think about Guam? I don't care if it's a state or not, the people who live on the islands have american passports.

Funny story, when I was in jail there was a fellow from Guam who was there, and after he got out of jail he was going back to Guam. We were together taking a class on career education or something, and he was complaining about how there isn't a lot of job opportunities in Guam for a felon.

The career education lady said, "You could work for a moving company, for instance,"

Dude said, "Lady I already worked for the moving company in Guam."

Guam is tiny.

credburn fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 8, 2024

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Idaho is so unfamous that everybody forgot to mention it when they were arguing about the other "I" states. If it didn't have a brand of potatoes partially named after it, nobody would know anything about it at all.

If I didn't live close enough to it do a lot of my shopping there (tax free!), I'd say Delaware was a close number 2.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Idaho is so unfamous that everybody forgot to mention it when they were arguing about the other "I" states. If it didn't have a brand of potatoes partially named after it, nobody would know anything about it at all.

If I didn't live close enough to it do a lot of my shopping there (tax free!), I'd say Delaware was a close number 2.

They have potatoes tho.

I accept Delaware as a nominee though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Delaware is famous because of Wayne's World

Idaho is famous because of Ralph wiggum

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

South Dakota has Mt. Rushmore, which kinda elevates to 'not completely irrelevant'.

I'm going to instead put forth North Dakota, Nebraska and Wyoming which have [gently caress all].

wyoming at least has jackson hole, the income inequality capital of america

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Idaho has that "Idaho? No, U da ho!" joke every kid makes at some point in their life, which is definitely something

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

For me it's sobriety.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
according to sporcle, based on 31 million plays, Missouri is at least the hardest to remember

https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/states
doesn't technically make it the least famous but it's data

also, I'm sorry, but wtf are some of you on. some of these need to be ruled out on general principle
Sweet Home Alabama rules out Alabama, and so does Forrest Gump
also Take Me Home Country Road rules out West Virginia. sorry, it just does
the Mississippi River and New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill and the general existence of Cajun food and the song Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man from GTA San Andreas all rule out Louisiana and Mississippi
that Lady Gaga song rules out Nebraska
Hoosiers, the Gene Hackman movie, rules out Indiana
Wayne's World rules out Delaware
this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EbnoElOJx0
rules out Arkansas. (also the Clintons I guess)

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Nobody thinks about those tiny New England states very much unless they're thinking about ice cream, horror novelists, or early primaries. I nominate Connecticut.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

You never hear anything about Nebraska. Delaware is that corporate incorporation place, Arkansas has the weirdo Christian fundies like the duggars, even Missouri is kinda notable for having (most of) Kansas City in it, and the former SAHQ.

Maybe Connecticut is up there?

I’m not American tho, so maybe I see it differently

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

frumpykvetchbot posted:

You actually have a point, I'd bet real money most people don't know Guam is America, and that's lovely.

Though in absolute terms Guam does have some decent name recognition as shorthand for a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific. "The airline probably sent your luggage to Guam by mistake," etc.

Fun fact: Guam is a popular vacation destination for Japanese tourists wanting to (among other things) visit the US. I remember seeing a tour group with Japanese visitors wearing cowboy hats and poo poo.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Another fun fact: TV Guide magazine didn't cover Guam TV stations, so there used to be a local knockoff called "TV Guam."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

You actually have a point, I'd bet real money most people don't know Guam is America, and that's lovely.

Though in absolute terms Guam does have some decent name recognition as shorthand for a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific. "The airline probably sent your luggage to Guam by mistake," etc.

Fun fact: Guam is a popular vacation destination for Japanese tourists wanting to (among other things) visit the US. I remember seeing a tour group with Japanese visitors wearing cowboy hats and poo poo.

Guam is in between Japan and Australia. I don't think it's weird that people don't know Guam is part of the United States.

e: But just to lay out my own ignorance as a US citizen, I'm aware Guam, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands (whatever those are) are part of the US but I don't know why, or why they're not states

credburn fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 8, 2024

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

^I don't think it's weird, and I don't necessarily blame anyone, I just think it's a kind of lovely circumstance.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'm stationed in SE Asia but my employer is based in the US. My commute is 10,000 miles but thankfully I only have to go to office once a year.

If I'm not on the US VPN, their apps do a geoIP lookup for me, and they inevitable identify the nearest company related facilities on Guam.

There's a Home Depot on Guam btw. Also a Denny's.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

credburn posted:

Guam is in between Japan and Australia. I don't think it's weird that people don't know Guam is part of the United States.

e: But just to lay out my own ignorance as a US citizen, I'm aware Guam, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands (whatever those are) are part of the US but I don't know why, or why they're not states

In your heart of hearts you know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You say South Dakota, but why not North Dakota? What makes ND better than SD?

I'd suggest Rhode Island, but there's some historical stuff, same for all of New England and most of the east coast.

So my final answer will be: Dakota