Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Beefed Owl posted:

I'm trying my best to memory hole Florida

Good luck, we're famous for all the wrong reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
Delaware

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

frumpykvetchbot posted:

There's a Home Depot on Guam btw. Also a Denny's.

There’s a freaking K-Mart on Guam. Not an Aussie K-Mart either, but an American one. I hear it doesn’t suck

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Delawhere?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Delaware is like if a tax loophole became a state.

No one's said Utah yet.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

how large or well known does an island need to be to be "in" it rather than "on" it? there's a k-mart on guam, but is the k-mart "in" australia or "on" australia?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

why does delaware come up so much, thats crazy. it was one of the 13 colonies. it was the first state iirc. its super close to huge population centers. why are people picking it over the no name squares in the middle of the country lmao

tiny state you can't see the name of on maps below a certain size. proximity to other places with same issue = gently caress it, I ain't learning all that poo poo

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

how large or well known does an island need to be to be "in" it rather than "on" it? there's a k-mart on guam, but is the k-mart "in" australia or "on" australia?

It's "in", countries and states are always "in", a geographical sub island (like an individual Hawaiian island) is as big as you can get and still be "on"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hoping puerto rico attains statehood so it can graduate from everyone being "on" it to "in" it

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Delaware is like if a tax loophole became a state.

No one's said Utah yet.

Utah is infamous which is sorta like famous.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Puerto Rico and Guam are both "in", I'm using the term state loosely :colbert:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Linux Pirate posted:

No one has any idea what goes on in Montana.

we know about your oysters. Freaks.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
If we're doing inhabited territories—which I don't think we should—than the Northern Mariana Islands has got to be it. Even the name is a generic "yeah, those loving things over there, I guess".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Utah is infamous which is sorta like famous.

True. I wonder how many non-Americans (or Americans for that matter) know the reason for that infamy.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Edward Mass posted:

New Hampshire is like Vermont, but without any famous citizens. Or a notable Coat Factory.

The Coat Factory is named for Burlington, Massachusetts. Don't pin that poo poo on us.

And for me it's a tie between Iowa and Nebraska. I'm tempted to say Nebraska because at least Iowa has the (stupid, but always in the news this time of year every four years) "First in the nation caucus (because they can't have it be the first primary because NH has to have that). But even THEN, anytime I hear or read Iowa, and try to picture it in my mind...60% chance I first picture Idaho, then have to remind myself that no, it's the OTHER I-state. The potato-less one.

So then it seems it comes down to Nebraska. But then Nebraska is sort-of famous for NOT being famous.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

frumpykvetchbot posted:

we know about your oysters. Freaks.

Ok, we deserve that.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

New Hampshire is like Vermont, but without any famous citizens. Or a notable Coat Factory.

It's not Burlington, Vermont, it's Burlington, NJ, that has the coat factory, don't take away the one thing my hometown is known for you fuckers!!!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Coat Factory is named for Burlington, Massachusetts. Don't pin that poo poo on us.

same to you!!!!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
1. Delaware
2. Nebraska
3. Maryland
4. Connecticut
5. Iowa

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

1. Delaware
2. Nebraska
3. Maryland
4. Connecticut
5. Iowa

Doesn't Iowa have one of the biggest state fairs?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New York. Nobody even thinks of the state when you say its name.

Nov 6, 2002

Grey Cat posted:

Doesn't Iowa have one of the biggest state fairs?

nobody knows, it's a mystery

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

ultrafilter posted:

New York. Nobody even thinks of the state when you say its name.

In that spirit (or similar), I'm sure there is a not-insignificant number of American citizens that think Washington D.C. is a city located in Virginia or somewhere.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Linux Pirate posted:

Montana, people remember the other boring states for being "those boring states" like Iowa, Nebraska, etc. No one has any idea what goes on in Montana.

Montana's really big and has an easy to remember name because it looks like "mountain" and has you assuming it has mountains and poo poo, so it's got like a built-in identity.

In fact I'd wager a great many people associate Yellowstone with Montana even though it's mostly in Wyoming, entirely on the basis that it's named "Montana!"

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
I went through all the states and listed what immediately came to mind.

TL;DR

Least memorable: Nebraska

I can't think of anything about Nebraska. It's not the smallest, it's not the least populated, it doesn't have a famous crop or movie or anything. It's just there. It's the least memorable parts of Iowa and Kansas combined. I would only be able to find it on a map through a process of elimination by first filling in its neighbors and whatever hole is left over must be Nebraska. It has a city named Omaha?

Runners up:
Delaware

Until I moved to New York I thought Delaware was in New England. I always mentally placed it up with the other tiny states like Connecticut and Massachusetts. I only know it for being having super business friendly laws, resulting in Delaware being the home of tens of thousands of corporate headquarters consisting of only PO boxes.

South Carolina
I really can't think of much about South Carolina. I remember it, I can find it on a map, and I know that it's run by Republicans, but I can't really distinguish anything particular about it.

Missouri
It's like a less lovely version of the deep south, or so I am assured by people who live there. It's the namesake of the Missouri Compromise so there's that.

The trifecta of Arkansas/Alabama/Mississippi
I couldn't distinguish these states to save my life, but they're still infamous as Confederate traitors whose history of slavery and racism continues to repress their fairly large black population to this day.

And now the list, in alphabetical order:

Alabama - slavery, racism, horrible conservative government.
Alaska - largest state, pays its citizens for their oil revenues, Inuit people, mountains and polar bears and sunless winters.
Arizona - pretty deserts, Phoenix is a blight, the new target for snowbirds who don't want to live in Florida.
Arkansas - same as Alabama, known for being regressive and racist.
California - the obvious things like the largest population and economy, Hollywood, Disney Land, etc. Also Monterey is awesome.
Colorado - mountains, weed, surprisingly liberal.
Connecticut - rich old blue bloods.
Delaware - lots of corporate headquarters and nothing else.
Florida - increasingly lovely due to an influx of retirees, their government is currently doing its best to utterly gently caress the state. Also Disney World, the Everglades, gators, and Cuban refugees.
Georgia - Another slave state, but the black population is large enough that they actually have some say in the government and occasional even flip the entire state to Democratic.
Hawaii - islands, beaches, volcanoes, conquered recently enough that there enough native people still present and upset about it that it affects politics.
Idaho - potatoes and militias.
Illinois - Chicago and a southern wasteland indistinguishable from Indiana.
Indiana - A wasteland of white religious nuts.
Iowa - corn and the Iowa caucus means we have to pay attention to them every four years.
Kansas - "There's no place like home" and tornadoes. Famous for being flat.
Kentucky - A 'friendly' part of the south, in the sense that they don't have enough black people to be famous for their racism and instead are famous for being conservative idiots.
Louisiana - Distinguished from the rest of the deep south due to New Orleans.
Maine - The tip of the country, very cold, lighthouses and lobster and rocky beaches.
Maryland - Baltimore, borders DC.
Massachusetts - expensive universities, crabs and clam chowder, lots of Revolutionary War stuff in and around Boston.
Michigan - Detroit, cars, da UP.
Minnesota - Land of 10,00 Lakes, the Boundary Waters, the most consistently Democratic-voting state in modern Presidential elections (only MN and DC voted for Mondale).
Mississippi - same as Alabama and Arkansas.
Missouri - not as bad as the real deep south, and the Missouri Compromise.
Montana - Mountains, skiing, open spaces and National Parks, can vote for progressive policies but general pretty conservative.
Nebraska - Absolutely nothing.
Nevada - Vegas, deserts, prostitutes.
New Hampshire - Usually votes Democratic but there's enough rural areas that it can be close. A ridiculous state legislature with thousands of representatives leading to numerous absolutely crazy people.
New Jersey - New York's dumping ground, tasteless idiots and the Jersey shore, baffling named the Garden state.
New Mexico - significant native population allows for a progressive politics, beautiful deserts.
New York - The obvious. Even excluding NYC (which is more memorable than probably 95% of states) you still have the Erie Canal, numerous Revolutionary War sites, and steamed hams.
North Carolina - Slowly deshitifying due the research triangle bringing in educated jobs. Can vote Democratic at the state level. Raleigh was nice when I passed through.
North Dakota - lovely white people, an oil boom brought in a ton of money which I think is now drying up, actual cold weather, unlike a lot of the Great Lakes states that aren't nearly as cold as a lot of people assume.
Ohio - The epitome of the rust belt, hit super hard by the loss of manufacturing jobs and is now a conservative nightmare.
Oklahoma - Trail of Tears, a fairly large population of native people, not enough to control the government but enough to bring out the white fear resulting in super regressive politics.
Oregon - Portland and the coast outnumbers the crazy western rural areas, founded as a literal 'whites only' state and its surprising they managed to generally shake that reputation.
Pennsylvania - I'm surprised every time I remember that PA is like the 5th most populous state in the union, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, Gritty.
Rhode Island - the smallest state, which makes it memorable enough.
South Carolina - I was surprised at how little I can think about South Carolina. I know that it's a regressive Republican state, but I don't usually think of it as being as bad as Georgia, Alabama, etc.
South Dakota - the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, bison.
Tennessee - much like Kentucky but with a country music twang.
Texas - the Lonestar state, oil money, cowboy hats, a lot of Texans get pissed off at out-of-state conservatives moving in and making things worse, trash on their highways.
Utah - Mormons, Salt Lake City.
Vermont - very much like New Hampshire in that it's a blue New England state with a ton of rural areas, but also has Bernie Sanders and a coat factory.
Virginia - Super important in early US history, capitol of the Confederacy, now well on the way to turning around and becoming a solid blue state.
Washington - Seattle, the Puget Sound, the Space Needle.
West Virginia - famous for being incredibly lovely. Appalachian mountains filled with impoverished white people gleeful cheering on their own destruction.
Wisconsin - Cheese, cows, Packers, used to be a solid progressive state with strong union support, but then Republicans gained a small majority, gerrymandered themselves into supermajority control of the state legislature (despite often losing the popular vote), and is only now starting to turn things around.
Wyoming - the least populated state, mountains, rich people owning huge tracts of land.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I know Delaware exists conceptually but I'm not sure it actually exists.

Won't lie I just had to look at a map to realize where it is. I mean I could have guessed the general quadrant but there's a bunch of hosed up little states in there.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

so much delaware :psyduck: lol. as a nonamerican this is baffling

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Denial

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Sorry but it's not possible for Delaware to be the least famous state considering a goon crossed it that one time.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Delaware is if they made a corporate campus a state complete with senators no poo poo nobody wants to ever think about it

Nov 6, 2002

Lord Harbor posted:

Vermont - very much like New Hampshire in that it's a blue New England state with a ton of rural areas, but also has Bernie Sanders and a coat factory.

LOL. That's Burlington New Jersey. How do people keep thinking of the Burlington Coat Factory and Vermont as opposed to like Ben and Jerry's or maple syrup?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOL. That's Burlington New Jersey. How do people keep thinking of the Burlington Coat Factory and Vermont as opposed to like Ben and Jerry's or maple syrup?

There's too many Burlingtons.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
South Dakota was useful for buying destructive fireworks. Seems like their isn't even a meed for that anymore. Guss the dakotas are now making a name for themselves with passing terrible anti-trans bills.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

There's too many Burlingtons.

I always associated it with Burlington WA but that's a lovely little town that could never produce such a legendary coat factory.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Good soup! posted:

It's not Burlington, Vermont, it's Burlington, NJ, that has the coat factory, don't take away the one thing my hometown is known for you fuckers!!!

Huh. I mean, either way it's still a lesser Burlington. :smug:

Does YOUR Burlington have the world's tallest filing cabinet? I think not!

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Because I've never lived in Vermont and didn't care enough to look anything up. I remember there's a Burlington in Vermont so it's memorable for that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AcidCat posted:

I always associated it with Burlington WA but that's a lovely little town that could never produce such a legendary coat factory.

Burlington MA for me, right on the old 128 (so many traffic jams...)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

we hav a burlington here too and its either "across the bridge from hamilton" or its "almost toronto". i cant think of any good reasons to go there, only through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Lord Harbor posted:

I went through all the states and listed what immediately came to mind.

TL;DR

Least memorable: Nebraska

I can't think of anything about Nebraska. It's not the smallest, it's not the least populated, it doesn't have a famous crop or movie or anything. It's just there. It's the least memorable parts of Iowa and Kansas combined. I would only be able to find it on a map through a process of elimination by first filling in its neighbors and whatever hole is left over must be Nebraska. It has a city named Omaha?

Runners up:
Delaware

Until I moved to New York I thought Delaware was in New England. I always mentally placed it up with the other tiny states like Connecticut and Massachusetts. I only know it for being having super business friendly laws, resulting in Delaware being the home of tens of thousands of corporate headquarters consisting of only PO boxes.

South Carolina
I really can't think of much about South Carolina. I remember it, I can find it on a map, and I know that it's run by Republicans, but I can't really distinguish anything particular about it.

Missouri
It's like a less lovely version of the deep south, or so I am assured by people who live there. It's the namesake of the Missouri Compromise so there's that.

The trifecta of Arkansas/Alabama/Mississippi
I couldn't distinguish these states to save my life, but they're still infamous as Confederate traitors whose history of slavery and racism continues to repress their fairly large black population to this day.

And now the list, in alphabetical order:

Alabama - slavery, racism, horrible conservative government.
Alaska - largest state, pays its citizens for their oil revenues, Inuit people, mountains and polar bears and sunless winters.
Arizona - pretty deserts, Phoenix is a blight, the new target for snowbirds who don't want to live in Florida.
Arkansas - same as Alabama, known for being regressive and racist.
California - the obvious things like the largest population and economy, Hollywood, Disney Land, etc. Also Monterey is awesome.
Colorado - mountains, weed, surprisingly liberal.
Connecticut - rich old blue bloods.
Delaware - lots of corporate headquarters and nothing else.
Florida - increasingly lovely due to an influx of retirees, their government is currently doing its best to utterly gently caress the state. Also Disney World, the Everglades, gators, and Cuban refugees.
Georgia - Another slave state, but the black population is large enough that they actually have some say in the government and occasional even flip the entire state to Democratic.
Hawaii - islands, beaches, volcanoes, conquered recently enough that there enough native people still present and upset about it that it affects politics.
Idaho - potatoes and militias.
Illinois - Chicago and a southern wasteland indistinguishable from Indiana.
Indiana - A wasteland of white religious nuts.
Iowa - corn and the Iowa caucus means we have to pay attention to them every four years.
Kansas - "There's no place like home" and tornadoes. Famous for being flat.
Kentucky - A 'friendly' part of the south, in the sense that they don't have enough black people to be famous for their racism and instead are famous for being conservative idiots.
Louisiana - Distinguished from the rest of the deep south due to New Orleans.
Maine - The tip of the country, very cold, lighthouses and lobster and rocky beaches.
Maryland - Baltimore, borders DC.
Massachusetts - expensive universities, crabs and clam chowder, lots of Revolutionary War stuff in and around Boston.
Michigan - Detroit, cars, da UP.
Minnesota - Land of 10,00 Lakes, the Boundary Waters, the most consistently Democratic-voting state in modern Presidential elections (only MN and DC voted for Mondale).
Mississippi - same as Alabama and Arkansas.
Missouri - not as bad as the real deep south, and the Missouri Compromise.
Montana - Mountains, skiing, open spaces and National Parks, can vote for progressive policies but general pretty conservative.
Nebraska - Absolutely nothing.
Nevada - Vegas, deserts, prostitutes.
New Hampshire - Usually votes Democratic but there's enough rural areas that it can be close. A ridiculous state legislature with thousands of representatives leading to numerous absolutely crazy people.
New Jersey - New York's dumping ground, tasteless idiots and the Jersey shore, baffling named the Garden state.
New Mexico - significant native population allows for a progressive politics, beautiful deserts.
New York - The obvious. Even excluding NYC (which is more memorable than probably 95% of states) you still have the Erie Canal, numerous Revolutionary War sites, and steamed hams.
North Carolina - Slowly deshitifying due the research triangle bringing in educated jobs. Can vote Democratic at the state level. Raleigh was nice when I passed through.
North Dakota - lovely white people, an oil boom brought in a ton of money which I think is now drying up, actual cold weather, unlike a lot of the Great Lakes states that aren't nearly as cold as a lot of people assume.
Ohio - The epitome of the rust belt, hit super hard by the loss of manufacturing jobs and is now a conservative nightmare.
Oklahoma - Trail of Tears, a fairly large population of native people, not enough to control the government but enough to bring out the white fear resulting in super regressive politics.
Oregon - Portland and the coast outnumbers the crazy western rural areas, founded as a literal 'whites only' state and its surprising they managed to generally shake that reputation.
Pennsylvania - I'm surprised every time I remember that PA is like the 5th most populous state in the union, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, Gritty.
Rhode Island - the smallest state, which makes it memorable enough.
South Carolina - I was surprised at how little I can think about South Carolina. I know that it's a regressive Republican state, but I don't usually think of it as being as bad as Georgia, Alabama, etc.
South Dakota - the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, bison.
Tennessee - much like Kentucky but with a country music twang.
Texas - the Lonestar state, oil money, cowboy hats, a lot of Texans get pissed off at out-of-state conservatives moving in and making things worse, trash on their highways.
Utah - Mormons, Salt Lake City.
Virginia - Super important in early US history, capitol of the Confederacy, now well on the way to turning around and becoming a solid blue state.
Washington - Seattle, the Puget Sound, the Space Needle.
West Virginia - famous for being incredibly lovely. Appalachian mountains filled with impoverished white people gleeful cheering on their own destruction.
Wisconsin - Cheese, cows, Packers, used to be a solid progressive state with strong union support, but then Republicans gained a small majority, gerrymandered themselves into supermajority control of the state legislature (despite often losing the popular vote), and is only now starting to turn things around.
Wyoming - the least populated state, mountains, rich people owning huge tracts of land.

Hey thanks for the effort post.

What's interesting to me is that there's only a handful of states that I couldn't at least say a few words about. Delaware, Rhode Island and New Hampshire, got nothing on those.