Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What are you eating and making for the Super Bowl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a hamburger

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

So far:

-8 lbs of chicken wings
-Jalapeno poppers, both with and without a bacon wrap.
-Caprese sliders
-Assorted cookies, chips and dip
-Two themed cocktails (one for the Chiefs, one for the Niners, at this point pending)
-Two mocktails (one raspberry/blueberry with basil and sparkling water, another that's essentially a virgin mojito)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Gatts posted:

Some sleep.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
This is the beer dip recipe I post here every few years when I remember and it has a great effort to taste ratio -

2 bricks of cream cheese, let it sit out a bit to soften
2 cup package of shredded cheddar
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch mix (I use the dressing packet, NOT the dip packet but I don't know what the difference is)
Some beer (1/3 cup? I just pour an appreciable amount and drink the rest)

Drop everything in a bowl and give it a good mix. Refrigerate for a bit or overnight so the essences are well blended. This comes out as a firm dip so I like a thick sturdy vessel, I usually reach for the Flipside pretzel crackers.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

red hamburger [for team]

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gatts posted:

Same thing as every year for the last 25. Party sized bag of peanut m&ms

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm ordering in barbecue.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Excellent timing on the thread. I'm actually curious if anyone could share a solid slow cooker queso setup? It doesn't have to be fancy, I just don't trust these mommy blogs with recipes pushed to the top of searches.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm ordering in barbecue.

great minds

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

TheKingslayer posted:

Excellent timing on the thread. I'm actually curious if anyone could share a solid slow cooker queso setup? It doesn't have to be fancy, I just don't trust these mommy blogs with recipes pushed to the top of searches.

My go-to is the simple Rotel + Velveeta combo, I think it's two cans per brick but the recipe should be on the Velveeta box.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I wanted to get dim sum before the game but apparently it's Chinese New Year so that might be a horrifying option. During the game would be a potluck so who knows what's going to be there except my sexy veggie tray (w/ blue cheese and hummus because ranch is for garbage humans).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

prunes are a good snack

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

TheKingslayer posted:

3/4lb White American Cheese
1/4lb Pepper Jack
1 can Rotel

It's basically just a better version of Velveeta + Rotel (which also gets the job done)

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'm making these https://www.vindulge.com/smoked-jalapeno-poppers/

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

MikeRabsitch posted:

My go-to is the simple Rotel + Velveeta combo, I think it's two cans per brick but the recipe should be on the Velveeta box.

Shrimpy posted:

3/4lb White American Cheese
1/4lb Pepper Jack
1 can Rotel

It's basically just a better version of Velveeta + Rotel (which also gets the job done)

I gotta say, it's stellar both pieces of cheese dip advice I got so far came from folks with Green Bay AVs.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TheKingslayer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMw4Q1RMD6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HyqLEoP1q4

you can make both of these in the slow cooker or transfer it to the slow cooker where it'll hold well. the first uses roux as the stabilizer - if you want to go even easier than that (but a step above velveeta) the second simulates processed cheese with a combo of evaporated milk (do not use sweetened evaporated milk) + cornstarch + cheese, which can be subbed out for basically anything that melts remotely well https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-use-cornstarch-and-evaporated-milk-to-make-stable-emulsion-cheese-sauce

Borsche69 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 10, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Here's two recipes for ultra-crispy smoked/grilled chicken wings. You're welcome.

Serious Eats Oven-Fried Wings
https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe
(You can smoke and grill these instead of doing them in an oven. Smoke them at like ~400°-450° for 35 to 50 minutes, pull them, and then direct grill them for about 5 to 10 minutes to finish and crisp them up. You can do everything up through the smoking step several days in advance, but you have to let the wings sit at least 8 hours before smoking.)

Hey Grill Hey Smoked Chicken Wings
https://heygrillhey.com/crispy-smoked-chicken-wings/
(Doesn't require advanced prep a day ahead of time like the Serious Eats recipe does, but also doesn't let you do a bunch of the work in advance and just slap 'em on the grill whenever it's time to eat (or maybe it does? I've never tried this recipe but I should experiment with doing the smoking in two stages a day or two apart).)

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 10, 2024

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I. M. Gei posted:

Here's two recipes for ultra-crispy smoked/grilled chicken wings. You're welcome.

Serious Eats Oven-Fried Wings
https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe
Oh look, this is what I'm going to do. The best part is baking all of the wings unsauced and then saucing later, so I can make mine with Frank's and some habanero sauce and my parents can have bbq sauce because they don't like the spice.

And with that will go celery sticks and additional chips and dips.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wife have requested chicken wings which I realize I've never actually made myself, so thanks for the recipes.

MikeRabsitch posted:

This is the beer dip recipe I post here every few years when I remember and it has a great effort to taste ratio -

1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch mix (I use the dressing packet, NOT the dip packet but I don't know what the difference is)

Drop everything in a bowl and give it a good mix. Refrigerate for a bit or overnight so the essences are well blended. This comes out as a firm dip so I like a thick sturdy vessel, I usually reach for the Flipside pretzel crackers.

I still have this written down in a text file on my computer somewhere from all those years ago, good looking out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am going to make a huge thing of nachos.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

MikeRabsitch posted:

I was asked to bring a dip to Sundays party so this is awesome timing and I’m absolutely stealing this. Thanks!

Edit this is prob a stupid question but does the beer type matter?

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 10, 2024

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
grits

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Amy Pole Her posted:

I was asked to bring a dip to Sundays party so this is awesome timing and I’m absolutely stealing this. Thanks!

Yes, definitely. That recipe was made with a flavorless rice beer in mind. If you use a heavy porter or stout it'll be an off color gross mess (and I absolutely love dark malty beers).

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

grats

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

FWIW I usually use Ales in cooking, has been flavour but not over powering. I find lager ends up a bit weak tasting.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
i will be bringing cans of pepsi zero sugar and trader joes snickerdoodle cookies to the super bowl party i'm going to

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Going to do my usual. Pizza with pepperoni, bacon and some kinda veggie depending on what my dad and I agree on. Usually have some Doritos or some other chips as a warm-up snack, and my mom'll have something liked cupcakes or cookies as dessert for the second half.

Sister and sis-in-law are coming over too to exchange presents since we didn't meet over Christmas break. No idea if they'll be bringing anything.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
And for the Puppy Bowl I'm having leftover teppanyaki because my family went there for my sister's birthday this evening. So much food...

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!
Dry rub wings are the poo poo.

If you have an air fryer do them according to it's directions and then toss in this:

https://chickenvibes.com/dry-rub-chicken-wings-recipe/

Only thing I do different is instead of a bullion cube I use a Herb-Ox chicken bullion packet, which is used in a lot of BBQ recopies for various reasons.

After you toss in the dry rub throw the wings on a HOT grill and cook until they have some nice charred marks on them. I suggest keeping the lid open which is unusual but if you aren't careful poo poo will burn fast.

Make some home-made blue cheese dressing and enjoy!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
i am going to eat a small bowl of rice and think upon my many personal character flaws

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

C. Everett Koop posted:

i am going to eat a small bowl of rice and think upon my many personal character flaws

ganbare

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I expected to be elsewhere so I have no food or party plans. I'll be having left over chicken and dumplings or frozen Costco pizza with boxed brownies.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Nachos with thinly sliced carne asada

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The key to crispy chicken wings is to S&P them at least an hour beforehand, the longer the better. I put together a team and experimented for a year to find the best chicken wing techniques, and the top thing we found is getting that S&P in there to really blister the skin.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
this super bowl is so meh i'll probably be eating rear end by 2nd quarter :cool:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

20 Blunts posted:

this super bowl is so meh i'll probably be eating rear end by 2nd quarter :cool:

your own?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are you gonna have burritos today? :hai:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I said come in! posted:

Are you gonna have burritos today? :hai:

nope, we normally have food but we're leaving for a family vacation at 3 in the morning, no party for us this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Gonna make my signature guac