Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Been working lots of stupid hours to buy this engagement ring and I'm dead set on doing it Valentine's Day but like I'm paralyzed where I'm actually supposed to go buy it. Feels like I'm buying a car, the salesmen just come on too strong. Help a goon out, where am I supposed to find a quality ring for my quality woman?

If I buy lab grown diamonds does it send the wrong message? Like I don't love you enough to make sure child miners didn't pick this specifically for you? Also like how much am I supposed to spend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

My wife sent me her size and the link to the ring she wanted so I went and bought that ring in the size she told me.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Sounds like you should actually talk to your partner.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Honest answer: If you don’t know how your partner feels about diamonds you should probably have that discussion before getting married.

Joke answer: there’s only one ring that matters, op.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

how are you going to prove your undying love and eternal dedication if you don't personally hack the arm off a child soldier and pluck the diamond from the bloody earth yourself

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
get a couple rolls of quarters and go check out those vending machine thingys in the exit of the wal mart

i bet you can get something decent in 20 or 30s tries

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

you make it out of tape & a paper clip

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Yiu dont?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Modulo16 posted:

My wife sent me her size and the link to the ring she wanted so I went and bought that ring in the size she told me.

its this one op

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Grey Cat posted:

Sounds like you should actually talk to your partner.

Trying to surprise her. I have a good estimate of her ring size, I've done some early recon. I've never bought jewelry before, or at least anything that wasn't a bracelet.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

If someone bought me a ring without consulting me at all I'd be pretty grumpy they don't know me or my likes at all.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I was always under the impression I was supposed to surprise. Asking her the ring size straight up like eliminates the surprise doesn't it?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Op, just take your boyfriend to the jewelry store and be sure he wears pants that go up/down easily. Have him try the rings on and have him do his best hello.jpg pose with each ring. Once you pick the favorite ring, have the jeweler check and double check finger size. That's not a hole easily stretched at home.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

JetSetGo posted:

I was always under the impression I was supposed to surprise. Asking her the ring size straight up like eliminates the surprise doesn't it?

Don't get married.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

why does it need to be a surprise? is your brain really that poisoned by marketing? good relationships are all about open and honest communication

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

why does it need to be a surprise? is your brain really that poisoned by marketing? good relationships are all about open and honest communication

every proposal on tv makes it a surprise so as a young man I think it's pretty natural to think the ring is supposed to be a surprise, but I wouldn't chance it. The proposal can still be a surprise even if the ring isnt

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Who the hell has enough money they can buy all these dumbass rings? How about helping me with my rent instead, dingus?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i surprised my wife with a diamond engagement ring without asking her a drat thing about it because after years of buying other jewelry for her i know what kind of stuff she likes/doesn't and she was stoked with what i landed on. i guess my point is, be a better and more perceptive boyfriend, like your favorite poster (me!)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Get an engagement ring box big enough to hide a Ring camera in and play a lil joke on her, she'll love it.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

I absolutely talked to my partner about what they wanted before I went and got a ring

It's a pretty big purchase and something they'll be wearing for a long time. I understand wanting to make it a surprise, but I think it's better to get them something that you know they like and that fits

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

What the TV never told you about all of those 'surprise' engagement announcements is that for the successful ones, they talked about it with their partners first to figure out what ring they wanted before they made the announcement, and for the rest of them, they look happy with it only because they're being filmed and don't want to embarrass themselves, their partners, or their families in the moment. You can find claimed exceptions but they're not gonna be the norm; more importantly, ask your would-be fiancee and I betcha she says she would not be fine with a 'surprise' on the specific ring.

Also, remember, this is something your future wife's gonna hold onto for a long time. You wouldn't surprise somebody with a house you bought them on a whim either. Don't be stupid.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

JetSetGo posted:

Please let go of this idea or things will go very badly. I've seen it play out to an awful outcome and it all started with exactly this thought.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The surprise is when and where you propose, not that you are going to propose. Let her pick the ring you dumb dumb.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

gotta say that i am shocked with the amount of good advice coming from goons in this thread

e: goddamn, even three olives?!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

TrashMammal posted:

honey, i just took out a loan for a new jet ski on the home equity line of credit!!!!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
You don't. Skip directly to isolated loneliness and save yourself the money.

.random
May 7, 2007

Just buy the ring online on a discount site. That way you can buy 3 in different styles so when she tells you the first one is garish (she won’t, because she doesn’t want to hurt your feelings, but she’ll look upset), you can be all JUST KIDDING, this is the real ring! And then do that again one more time for best effect. Rule of 3s, look it up.

When she still looks upset, move in for the kiss and seal the deal!

I’ve used this technique multiple different times with multiple different people, so I can guarantee it works.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

JetSetGo posted:

Been working lots of stupid hours to buy this engagement ring and I'm dead set on doing it Valentine's Day but like I'm paralyzed where I'm actually supposed to go buy it. Feels like I'm buying a car, the salesmen just come on too strong. Help a goon out, where am I supposed to find a quality ring for my quality woman?

If I buy lab grown diamonds does it send the wrong message? Like I don't love you enough to make sure child miners didn't pick this specifically for you? Also like how much am I supposed to spend?

Okay you really should know what she wants. Assuming you do have an idea that she wants a standard usual diamond engagement ring my advice to you is to do a deep dive on the internet and find out where you can go near you that isn't a chain store.

If she by any chance likes vintage type stuff or old-fashioned type stuff maybe a high-end antique place.

You can get a gorgeous genuine antique rose cut diamond rings maybe with some other stones for surprisingly not as much as you would think. For example big old rose cut diamonds can be way less expensive than modern cuts. If she happens to like antique feminine sentimental stuff that increases your store options a bit.

Do you know her taste? You should arghh

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Modulo16 posted:

This, just ask her what she wants.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TrashMammal posted:

e: goddamn, even three olives?!

I've been married for 5 years.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Simply find a partner that doesnt like gold or diamonds, makes everything a lot more affordable.

I think both look gaudy, personally.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Tokelau All Star posted:

This, just ask her what she wants.

This if you really feel clueless. Remember it will still be a surprise if you get an idea from her and not the actual ring picked out

Maybe give her the option ask her does she want to give you a clue what to get, description, anything?

As far as how much money you want to make this expensive but not stupid that's my opinion

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Use one of these OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4QKDpVjeOI

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

deep dish peat moss posted:

Use one of these OP

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

Simply find a partner that doesnt like gold or diamonds, makes everything a lot more affordable.

I think both look gaudy, personally.

yeah, if this one doesn’t work out, find yourself a less de beers brained parter for your next shot

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Like this would be fine for me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Spinz posted:

This if you really feel clueless. Remember it will still be a surprise if you get an idea from her and not the actual ring picked out

Maybe give her the option ask her does she want to give you a clue what to get, description, anything?

As far as how much money you want to make this expensive but not stupid that's my opinion

Pretty sure OP wants the proposal itself to be a surprise, not the ring

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Spinz posted:

Like this would be fine for me

holy poo poo you could buy a brand new subaru for that

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Just buy me a lotr mood ring and I'll say the vows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
as you're reading these replies, listen to that little voice in your head that's telling you what you think she would really want. i purposely kept the ring and the entire engagement itself a total surprise because i knew she is into classic romantic gestures like that. if you think she would be fine with these pragmatic suggestions of having her pick out her own ring and telegraphing the entire engagement in advance, then go for it, but only you know (i hope) what approach would be best received by her