Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

sorry spinz, i don’t think it’s gonna work out between us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

TrashMammal posted:

holy poo poo you could buy a brand new subaru for that

I was joking^
Also, if this is a surprise proposal omg good luck goon how romantic :love:

And listen to Junk

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Spinz posted:

And listen to Junk

this needs to be at the top of every thread tbh

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I was broke as a joke so I bought her a cubic zirconium ring from Fingerhut. She didn’t care because all she wanted was for me to put a ring on it (2013) and I eventually got her an actual diamond and I’ve never seen the cheapo ring since.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Whatever's cheapest.

At the pawn shop.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Buying wedding rings is one department that I must say, being gay is a significant advantage. I just bought matching wedding bands for like $800 total and proposed with that. $800 were even the expensive ones that are a little more fabulous than one boring color. Then the jeweler exchanged my husband's for a smaller one for free because I was a wee bit off in the size.

In any event, bring your sister or your gf's best friend with you if you're nervous, and if they can be sworn to secrecy. And good luck!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Junk posted:

as you're reading these replies, listen to that little voice in your head that's telling you what you think she would really want. i purposely kept the ring and the entire engagement itself a total surprise because i knew she is into classic romantic gestures like that. if you think she would be fine with these pragmatic suggestions of having her pick out her own ring and telegraphing the entire engagement in advance, then go for it, but only you know (i hope) what approach would be best received by her

Yeah, this is how you get told no to a proposal or even worse, she says yes because of pressure and goes through with a marriage she has serious concerns about.

By the time you propose your partner should be filled with suspense on when and where they are going to say yes having clearly ironed out all the details of how your marriage is going to work, including long term plans.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
yes, my bad. by all means make this moment as safely bland and utilitarian as possible, she'll love it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Surprise proposals are definitely not the norm these days and make a lot of people severely uncomfortable, especially if they're in a public place.

If you know for sure you're proposing to someone who loves the idea of a surprise proposal go for it but if you're even kind of unsure don't do it. I mean sure make the proposal itself a surprise but the fact that it's going to happen and how your partner feels about it is something that should totally be discussed prior to it happening. Especially if you're old enough to be a goon and not some brash foolish teenager

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
While this is no substitute for talking to your partner first, it's not a bad idea to look into alternative stones and settings. My wife and I (after talking) settled on silver from her home state and a yogo sapphire from mine. The cost of hiring a local artist to make a custom piece from these things was way less than the poo poo bag special mass produced for Kay Jewelers or wherever.

If she must have that diamond sparkle, lab grown diamonds are better and cheaper. If she insists on a stone bathed in the blood of African children then :sever:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Also if you must maintain absolute surprise for some reason enlist one of her friends to feel out her preferences.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Junk posted:

yes, my bad. by all means make this moment as safely bland and utilitarian as possible, she'll love it

That is what marriage is, a tax advantaged financial merger with assorted other legal privileges between two parties and you should do due diligence and sort out any closing requirements before a verbal statement of intent.

Acting like marriage is some magical gesture of love with conquer all is why so many marriages fail.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
You can get a dark lord to forge you a ring on Etsy.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Also if you must maintain absolute surprise for some reason enlist one of her friends to feel out her preferences.

make sure this friend does not have secret unrequited feelings for you first though

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Buy one of those inlaid rings from Etsy for $200, down from $600 on sale, that all come from Aliexpress op.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Romance is dead get it done 50 bucks at the courthouse bing bong

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

if only....

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
have we lost the art of beating around the bush? you test the waters with hypotheticals and comparisons, you fools. "Oh, man, did you see [Name]'s engagement ring/proposal?" wait for opinion, take mental notes.

you can figure out what she might want without outright going "hey what do you want me to propose to you with" if you still want a surprise.

020824_3
Feb 9, 2024
are we talkin a 5 grand ring or 250 grand ring?

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Lab diamonds are so good and so cheap nowaways that you should really have a conversation with your gf to see if she’ll go for it. You can get a decent 2ct lab for like a grand from Ritani or Adiamor or Brilliance or any one of a hundred other drop shippers, and no one will be able to tell for sure if it’s a natural you spent 25k on or not. If she’s still into the idea of a natural diamond, well, have fun with that poo poo I guess. Maybe she likes colored stones. Who knows? Not you because you haven’t talked to her, dummy!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

have you considered grave robbing, op? odds are just good for satisfaction as your current approach and a real cash saver in comparison

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I just let her pick the one she wanted and went out and got it together

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

OP what's your budget

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
you can also frame the surprise as "hey let's go out somewhere." and then just surprise her by taking her to a jewellery store and going "surprise, pick one! it's yours!" that'd work too

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Don’t pick the ring yourself dummy. She picks it after you have a long conversation with her about the horrors of the diamond industry, artificially constrained supply, etc.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if you dig up a pirates treasure chest you'll have like a thousand rings to choose from. out of a thousand at least 500 of them will be a perfect fit it's basic statistics.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
OP I'll be your wife for $3k. I just need the money by next Friday.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Anyone have that cartoon a goon drew in the 00s about hiding an engagement ring in his guts and then shoving his girlfriend's head up his rear end to propose?

Describing it makes it sound gross but it was a hit at the time.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I had a diamond removed from one of my grandmother's rings (she was/is dead) and had that fitted onto something else and it was cheaper than buying a whole other diamond.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

We're supposed to have another wedding, Miao style, for us in China next year. Guess who's supposed to pay for it. Me! This will be the fourth time I get married to the same woman. :(

The ceremony ends when Bahamut descends from the sky. The bacon will be bangin' at least.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kntfkr posted:

I had a diamond removed from one of my grandmother's rings (she was/is dead) and had that fitted onto something else and it was cheaper than buying a whole other diamond.

Jesus christ, OP, don't murder you grandmother to save money on a ring.

Slip
Jan 20, 2001
Don't do a surprise proposal unless it's a slam dunk. Just get something nice and in budget that goes along with what her general tastes are. If you are clueless ask one of her friends or something.You can take it back for something else if she doesn't like it.

In the moment she's gonna be too caught up in the moment to bust your balls over the details. Again, you can just take it back with her to get something swapped out. This is all assuming that you're not an idiot and she actually wants to marry you!

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Don't buy lab grown because those are diamonds, as opposed to diamonds

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Get a fancy one

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
There's a ton of space between 'My partner had absolutely no idea I was going to propose and we had never ever discussed marriage at all' and 'I brought my partner to the store where they picked out a ring which I then paid for and handed to them'. I'm in a somewhat similar situation as the OP, in that I'm gearing up to make a proposal. In my case, we have discussed marriage, future plans, etc. and she gave me her ring size so that's not an issue. What I'm still torn on is whether I should be asking her what she wants in the ring itself. She doesn't really wear jewelry and I don't know her taste in rings, but I also know that she appreciates at least a bit of surprise so I will probably keep the ring itself secret.

An actual question for the thread: how do you find a retailer? We're in a smallish city in rural New York, so there aren't a ton of local options. I've looked online but don't have any idea whether the places I find are any good or just overpriced mass produced garbage. It probably won't end up mattering that much, as she definitely won't be checking to make sure her ring is expensive enough or anything, but I'd still like to get something nice.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
very carefully

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Lord Harbor posted:

There's a ton of space between 'My partner had absolutely no idea I was going to propose and we had never ever discussed marriage at all' and 'I brought my partner to the store where they picked out a ring which I then paid for and handed to them'. I'm in a somewhat similar situation as the OP, in that I'm gearing up to make a proposal. In my case, we have discussed marriage, future plans, etc. and she gave me her ring size so that's not an issue. What I'm still torn on is whether I should be asking her what she wants in the ring itself. She doesn't really wear jewelry and I don't know her taste in rings, but I also know that she appreciates at least a bit of surprise so I will probably keep the ring itself secret.

An actual question for the thread: how do you find a retailer? We're in a smallish city in rural New York, so there aren't a ton of local options. I've looked online but don't have any idea whether the places I find are any good or just overpriced mass produced garbage. It probably won't end up mattering that much, as she definitely won't be checking to make sure her ring is expensive enough or anything, but I'd still like to get something nice.

Dear lord this is not complicated, ask her to make a Pintrest *wink* *wink* or find an excuse to be around a jewelry store and just pop in to ~browse~ and if she finds something she loves give a subtle sign to the sales person, they will 100% know what is up when you call the store and say "Hey, do you remember us?" They make notes.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

kntfkr posted:

This will be the fourth time I get married to the same woman. :(

wow save some for the rest of us pal

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i proposed by getting her a vacuum instead of a ring. she still said yes. we still have the vacuum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Honest answer: If you don’t know how your partner feels about diamonds you should probably have that discussion before getting married.

Joke answer: there’s only one ring that matters, op.

My Precious? Or a cock ring? Just curious.