Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Madness posted:

My Precious? Or a cock ring? Just curious.

you can read all about it in the kirk johnson thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Engagement ring should be 6x monthly salary

Wedding is 50% of yearly

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The best type of rings are the ones that choose you, à la Lord of the Rings. The Smeagol method of fishing one out from sediment, plus jilted lovers throwing their rings into the ocean during high tide, is a superior strategy to buying one in a shop.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Engagement ring should be 6x monthly salary

Wedding is 50% of yearly

who invented this garbage?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Get her to stick her ring finger in your butt hole and then tell her that the ring is still socially binding even though it's flesh

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
you assholes do know what jokes are?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Why don't jewelry stores make ring gift cards? Like a ring you can bring back to the store to exchange for any other ring at or below the cost of the gift card ring.

Like think of how many cheap rings they could sell for big bucks that would never get redeemed! :capitalism:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
that was a real question. I also dont know what jokes are

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I proposed with nothing and let her choose the ring.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
D-O-N-T-F-O-R-G-E-T-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dee eight posted:

D-O-N-T-F-O-R-G-E-T-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E

a commercial? son of a bitch!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

STABASS posted:

Who the hell has enough money they can buy all these dumbass rings? How about helping me with my rent instead, dingus?

gently caress you for not being fresh in love

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
I bought a ring from a pawn shop lol

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Lord Harbor posted:

An actual question for the thread: how do you find a retailer? We're in a smallish city in rural New York, so there aren't a ton of local options. I've looked online but don't have any idea whether the places I find are any good or just overpriced mass produced garbage. It probably won't end up mattering that much, as she definitely won't be checking to make sure her ring is expensive enough or anything, but I'd still like to get something nice.
I used to work in jewelry so I'll try to answer this as best as I can. I recommend buying in person so you can see what you're actually getting. You could ask your friends and relatives if there's a store they've bought from and like. Look up the business and see what kind of reviews they have. Any place that has been around for a long time is usually a good sign. When you go there and look at stuff, watch how the jeweler treats you. It's a great sign if they pay attention to what you want and keeping it in your budget. Don't be afraid to look at things without buying. A lot of customers like to see what's out there and compare prices. They should let you handle the ring and you can look it over and make sure there aren't any sharp bits on it, the gems aren't wiggling around in their setting. If the stores in your city aren't any good, you and your lady could go on a trip to a different city and look at the options there.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
We saw an ad for a local jeweler and went ”Hey these rings rule, should we get engaged to have an excuse to buy them?”

itry
Aug 23, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Romance is dead get it done 50 bucks at the courthouse bing bong

Nothing says romance like surprising your SO with an artifically price inflated couple grams of rock to demonstrate your love for Hallmark movies.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Get a blood diamond so at least it has a cool back story

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

I almost got a ring for my fiancé (now wife) by just going to a store and seeing what they had. Turns out the one I felt she might have liked wouldn't have been a good pick. I only found out after calling her sister and letting her in on it. She steered me in the right direction and I ended up with a ring my wife loved and she was surprised. Best if both worlds.

On The Internet fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 9, 2024

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I got friends who own and run a jewelry shop so if I ever need a ring I'd go to them.

Make friends with a jeweler OP

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My engagement ring was honest to god plastic with googly eyes. I suspected I would lose it so I got a pack of 12. My proposal was literally “We should get married the next time the anniversary of our meeting is on a Saturday.” My wedding ring is a plain titanium band that cost $80, because again I figured I would lose it. We’re going on 15 years married now. If she would seriously consider not marrying you because she doesn’t like the engagement ring, that’s your cue to end the relationship.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Turn on the radio and go to the first place you hear a commercial for. Bonus if they seem like funny guys on the radio making jokes and japes at each other.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
*Non-joke answer incoming*

OP as others have said, ideally this is something you've discussed with your wife ahead of time so you can get her what she actually wants. You should also have discussed engagement to some degree. It should not come as a surprise that you're proposing, but only when and how you propose.

IF you are dead set on not discussing it directly with her, go through her friends. Someone she chats with regularly that could conceivably ask her about ring preferences without raising too many flags. "oh wow, look at this ring I saw! I hope my partner gets me that style. What do you think? " etc.

Worst case, she catches on, gives her exact real answer and get the exact ring she wants during her engagement.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Szechwan posted:

It should not come as a surprise that you're proposing, but only when and how you propose.

Also, discuss how you propose, some people want something very private, some one friends and family around, some people have been dreaming about a flashmob proposal in a public place. You can gently caress this up big time.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Szechwan posted:

IF you are dead set on not discussing it directly with her, go through her friends. Someone she chats with regularly that could conceivably ask her about ring preferences without raising too many flags. "oh wow, look at this ring I saw! I hope my partner gets me that style. What do you think? " etc.

Yeah do this if you want it to be a surprise.

My wife told me about this place and it's awesome https://oliveavejewelry.com/shop/categories/engagement-rings. I narrowed it down to a few with the help of her friend and picked the best one.

Btw if I find out you haven't proposed on the 15th I'm going to swoop in and marry your girlfriend so get on it :dukedoge:

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Choose a Ring Of Protection +2 (or +1 if you are on a budget). This will defend against a range of attacks and afflictions. I know it is tempting to go for something exotic like a Ring Of Fire Resistance but is it really that likely that your partner will be set ablaze?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Also, discuss how you propose, some people want something very private, some one friends and family around, some people have been dreaming about a flashmob proposal in a public place. You can gently caress this up big time.

I feel like that's something you should already know based on your partner's personality but there's always a chance your reserved and quiet partner wants some big production too, so this is probably a good idea.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Have her recreate goatse and then admonish her bc the ring is missing

Then be like; I can fix that

Then tape the actual goatse to her butt

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

if you’re dead set on making terrible life choices, OP, you could take your partner to madame tussaud’s and acquire a wax casting of their hand
https://www.madametussauds.com/new-york/what-s-inside/experiences/wax-hands/

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

TrashMammal posted:

if you’re dead set on making terrible life choices, OP, you could take your partner to madame tussaud’s and acquire a wax casting of their hand
https://www.madametussauds.com/new-york/what-s-inside/experiences/wax-hands/

I am not marrying anyone who won't get a wax cast of my hand.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Worf posted:

Have her recreate goatse and then admonish her bc the ring is missing

Then be like; I can fix that

Then tape the actual goatse to her butt

If I could go back 16 years this is how I propose.

Where were you with your great ideas back then?

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
My girlfriend went with me when I when shopping for the ring because I didn’t know her ring size and neither did she. The jeweler straight up told us that the lab grown diamonds were pretty much indistinguishable from blood diamonds and unless we really had a preference, it didn’t matter. I’m glad she went though, because she picked a sparkly ring that I never would have chosen for her in a million years.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Combo posted:

If I could go back 16 years this is how I propose.

Where were you with your great ideas back then?

16 years ago gbs had mods that didn’t allow you to talk about tipping waiters and cats were a contentious topic because having pets is obviously pure evil

I was not posting

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
You can read about how lab grown diamonds are made on most jewelry retailer websites. The description is laughably vague, like they think that if they post the actual process, you could probably grow a couple diamonds in your garage next to the snowblower.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

you have to get a chamber (a good one, from a place that sells things to scientists) and then you shoot lasers into the chamber until a beautiful rock forms

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Larry Cum Free posted:

you have to get a chamber (a good one, from a place that sells things to scientists) and then you shoot lasers into the chamber until a beautiful rock forms

keep going

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

no, I think you have to stop there or the lasers might break the rock

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

MoonshineWilly posted:

You can read about how lab grown diamonds are made on most jewelry retailer websites. The description is laughably vague, like they think that if they post the actual process, you could probably grow a couple diamonds in your garage next to the snowblower.

if you put a bunch of coal into an instapot and turn it all the way up for a real long time you might get a crude diamond

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Go to the nearest novelty shop that has thick incense in the air and dragon statues for the most preem jewelry.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

an engagement bracelet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Worf posted:

an engagement bracelet

Actually you could probably pull this off like a rock star as long as you promised to immediately go shopping for a ring of her choosing.