Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

id want something you could hook chains into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Worf posted:

id want something you could hook chains into

Those are called cuffs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Don't make a real public engagement most people don't like those.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Szechwan posted:

*Non-joke answer incoming*

OP as others have said, ideally this is something you've discussed with your wife ahead of time so you can get her what she actually wants. You should also have discussed engagement to some degree. It should not come as a surprise that you're proposing, but only when and how you propose.

IF you are dead set on not discussing it directly with her, go through her friends. Someone she chats with regularly that could conceivably ask her about ring preferences without raising too many flags. "oh wow, look at this ring I saw! I hope my partner gets me that style. What do you think? " etc.

Worst case, she catches on, gives her exact real answer and get the exact ring she wants during her engagement.

If you have a good natural history museum in your area, OP, one with a decent mineral and gem exhibit, you can get pretty good intel on jewelry preferences. Watching antiques roadshow together also works, but you don't get a fun date out of it.

A lot of people are saying the ring shouldn't be a surprise. I prefer looking at it as you should know if she wants to be surprised. If you can't figure out a way to accomplish it, just be direct.

Or you can superglue a pebble to a piece of galvanized steel wire.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pushy expensive mall jewelry stores that bombard you with advertisements romanticizing the outdated notion of surprising your partner with a ring only you may choose and they have to accept as both a gift and commitment is real dumb. That’s some straight up Boomer poo poo. Know your partner, be comfortable and open with each other’s tastes, and take them with you as others have said.

Or, you can wait until Spirit Halloween rolls around again and buy a bag of 100 plastic spider rings. Your partner still gets a ring, and you have 99 more spares in case the ring gets lost. That’s a loving win right there.

Hollismason posted:

Don't make a real public engagement most people don't like those.

Public proposals are skeevy as gently caress. My anxiety would probably kill me being put on the spot like that.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Also, jewelry doesn’t have to come strictly from a jewelry store or retailer. Gem shows and renaissance fairs have some kickass handmade jewelry, and if your partner’s just not into gold and diamonds and such, those are great places to start.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

You Are A Werewolf posted:

renaissance fairs

Yes, great way for her to say no with confidence.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

if you and your partner are nerds who enjoy ren fairs together then what's the problem? :shrug:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

renfairs are kicking rad you dork

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Make sure partner wants to get married. Then make sure partner wants to marry you. Work out how much you can afford to spend. Look at your partner's jewellery and see what stuff they already own. Think about your partner's taste: are they flashy, reserved, colourful, plain, what. Bing bong simple.

I bought a simple stone from a diamond merchant, had it simply set by a jeweler, and my wife still likes it, despite working in bespoke jewellery and working daily with really interesting pieces.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
This is a good time to start accumulating wives. What are they going to do, divorce you? You can just get another one.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
no ring. 2/10

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Stone selection criteria

Shape - personal preference

Size - budget determined

Cut - importance is determined by the shape you pick. More angles/cuts, more important it is

Color - get a G, F, or E graded stone. No need to pay extra for D

Clarity - least important. SI2 is generally acceptable (lowest grade). No need to go above VS1

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Stone selection criteria

Size - budget determined

Cut - importance is determined by the shape you pick. More angles/cuts, more important it is

Clarity - least important. SI2 is generally acceptable (lowest grade). No need to go above VS1

I do love that with diamonds nobody but an expert with a lense can tell the difference. It's shiny and clear they all look like that if they're on the sales floor.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

eSports Chaebol posted:

if you put a bunch of coal into an instapot and turn it all the way up for a real long time you might get a crude diamond

i put a chuck of coal in our hot water heater closet when i was little. i was going to be rich :(

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
implant an infinity stone in her forehead.

are you married yet? c'mon op

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can do the whole surprise proposal with a cheap temporary ring, which could be anywhere from $1 on aliexpress to $100 if that’s cheap for you. That takes care of the whole surprise, little box to open, fancy thing to wear for a little while.

Then you can go shopping together and find something she really likes. There are a lot of factors, including some you might not even be aware of, like you might know she likes rose gold but not know she hates it when things snag on rings, so she only wants inset.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Carey Varefully :grin:

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"
Get her a cheap temporary ring, tell her that it’s a cheap temporary ring and that you can go together to pick out the real one.

For me, turned out she wanted a moissanite ring, less expensive and more sparkly than diamond.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Or, you can wait until Spirit Halloween rolls around again and buy a bag of 100 plastic spider rings. Your partner still gets a ring, and you have 99 more spares in case the ring gets lost. That’s a loving win right there.

And if she says no, you still have 99 more chances!

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Stone selection criteria

Size - budget determined

You’ve got that backwards, you’re paying extra so you can give them the D

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Proposed with a wood ring from etsy while we were traveling that was the wrong size. Got her something she actually designed and wanted when we got back. Add another to the moissoniate

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
My wife and I were at a jewelry store and she found something that she liked. I surprised her by calling someone over and buying it. Don't buy a mystery ring, OP.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Just realized thanks to this thread that the social impulse of a surprise proposal is probably also a marketing tool to convince rubes like the OP to blindly fork over months of salary in exchange for whatever crap the jeweler needs to move.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
My partner and I don’t even wear our rings, haven’t for 10 years. Neither of us really like wearing jewelry

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

boggles my marbles people are out here spending 30k on a ring. i guess its your money but thats like a down payment on a house. at least it used to be.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

My partner and I don’t even wear our rings, haven’t for 10 years. Neither of us really like wearing jewelry

so what do you do with your fingers? Just waggle them around. Only a baby would think that is funny

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

flubber nuts posted:

boggles my marbles people are out here spending 30k on a ring. i guess its your money but thats like a down payment on a house. at least it used to be.

You can’t even get the biggest micro transaction in star citizen for that small amount of money anymore

That’s basically throwaway money

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
all jokes aside, how much should I spend on a diamond ring

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

all jokes aside, how much should I spend on a diamond ring

all jokes aside, whatever you feel comfortable with spending that doesn’t require you to use credit. one days salary, six centuries salary, it doesnt matter as long as you and the recipient are happy and you’re not putting yourself in debt

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nae posted:

all jokes aside, whatever you feel comfortable with spending that doesn’t require you to use credit. one days salary, six centuries salary, it doesnt matter as long as you and the recipient are happy and you’re not putting yourself in debt

i like what your saying, but I have $48. Is that enough?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

i like what your saying, but I have $48. Is that enough?

you could probably get somebody on onlyfans to confirm you have an ugly penis for that much

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i'd charge 60 tho

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Worf posted:

you could probably get somebody on onlyfans to confirm you have an ugly penis for that much

yeah not poo poo. I could get someone on onlyfans to do it for like $9.

Worf posted:

i'd charge 60 tho

Oh. can't afford that

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I bought a non diamond ring at Walmart, op

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Thesaurus posted:

look, you know I'm stupid, I know I'm stupid, but I ain't that stupid. A diamond ring from walmart? It was glass, right?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

look, you know I'm stupid, I know I'm stupid, but I ain't that stupid. A diamond ring from walmart? It was glass, right?

Thesaurus posted:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ha ha. Ok, i guess I am that stupid

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
The best gifts have a human interest angle. Find the shadiest diamond dealer and get a rock that was smuggled out in someone's anus. Blood diamond, conflict diamond what ever it takes. If you can't find one of those, bring it home "prison wallet" style so you can tell her all about it. It's more than a rock, it's about the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Harry_Potato posted:

The best gifts have a human interest angle. Find the shadiest diamond dealer and get a rock that was smuggled out in someone's anus. Blood diamond, conflict diamond what ever it takes. If you can't find one of those, bring it home "prison wallet" style so you can tell her all about it. It's more than a rock, it's about the experience.

Disgusting. I would only wear a diamond that was grown in someone’s anus.