Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

dont like that british people are doing this. feels like cultural appropriation.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
is there an australian rules football game

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

looking at the warhammer.com web store and can kind of see why people become figurine painting guys now

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Figurine Painting Simulator

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

open world caveman

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

There are a bunch of games where apparently I shouldn't cum? but I think I'm about ready for me and a game to be on the same page about me cumming

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

a game that invites me to play it, referring to me by my noble title

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
VR AD&D TT RPG

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
a game where you ignore kitty genovese's murder

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

u wan gently caress posted:

This should be in every game, but adaptive difficulty based on reaction times so you can still play while drunk/high.

resident evil games have had a dynamic difficulty system since re7 came out!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

u wan gently caress posted:

There are a bunch of games where apparently I shouldn't cum? but I think I'm about ready for me and a game to be on the same page about me cumming

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Bluemillion posted:

Fallout but 80's.

wasteland

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

open world rpg set in drugged out 70s bay area, you are a strung out writer with his back against the wall, forced to take up arms against synanon and richard nixon.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

turn based strategy game where you have to orchestrate clandestine stay behind operations across continental europe after World War II

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Roosevelt posted:

are there brain sucking space aliens?

well that would be a problem wouldn't it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

shmup where you rotate between cyan, magenta, yellow to exploit enemy weaknesses of complimentary colors

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Silver Alicorn posted:

shmup where you rotate between cyan, magenta, yellow to exploit enemy weaknesses of complimentary colors

I tried something like this as a Godot game, then a turn based card game and it ends up people really don't intuitively understand a hue based subtractive or addictive color wheel. Even when presented with one as a game board

They still struggle with the paint mix RYB, but less so probably because it's taught all through grade school art.

Ended up making it dice marking based before anyone 'got it' as a circular game of opposites and neighbors. At that point it was so far removed from what I wanted spiritually I'm just kinda bleh about it. I wanted wizard spells and poo poo

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 10, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

that was a bullet hell game already wasnt it?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

open world rpg set in drugged out 70s bay area, you are a strung out writer with his back against the wall, forced to take up arms against synanon and richard nixon.

As President of the newly-formed nation of Symbonia, you must defend yourself and promote your interests locally and around the world.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

rotor posted:

that was a bullet hell game already wasnt it?

well there's Ikaruga that does black/white

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hell this makes me want to make a video game

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Anyone have any good links to pico8 tutorials that aren't video? Video loving sucks for programming tutorials.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ive dehumanized myself and succumbed to video tutorials. it sucks but I wouldn't have gotten off the ground with godot otherwise

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes you have to watch a video (because there is nothing else), but I only watch the minimum

there is a gameplay loop when making a game which is there is a thing you want to achieve and you try n figure it out yourself and only if you can’t you seem help and then you’ve achieved thing, so next you want to implement something else and that’s probably the satisfying loop I can think of that isn’t doing nangs

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Silver Alicorn posted:

ive dehumanized myself and succumbed to video tutorials. it sucks but I wouldn't have gotten off the ground with godot otherwise

But it's so sloooooow! And they all start from the bottom up, where I like to start in the middle.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i feel ya

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

MrQueasy posted:

But it's so sloooooow! And they all start from the bottom up, where I like to start in the middle.

you can scrub through a video

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

i'm not saying it's good,

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
rip left eye

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

love to watch someone type for 90 minutes, while explaining every single line like they're talking to an arduino user.

"ok so now lets go ahead and type 'xpos=xpos+1', now what this does is add 1 to the variable called 'xpos'..."

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I got the GDQuest infinite sub package for Godot tutorials and ngl its one of my favorites.

Many of them have full read through document versions with videos to recap and show which is ideal.

Honestly echi with your blender exp I think it would be a great engine for you. The lang is python like and the node based objects and scripting are very easy to grok

I wish I had any visual taste though, despite having a fuckin design degree. I know just enough to use software to make things I know are ugly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

post hole digger posted:

turn based strategy game where you have to orchestrate clandestine stay behind operations across continental europe after World War II

Super Gladio Brothers lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i spent 3 months getting really into godot and learned a lot and then completely lost all steam on my idea and haven’t touched it in weeks. highly recommend it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

root of all eval posted:

Honestly echi with your blender exp I think it would be a great engine for you. The lang is python like and the node based objects and scripting are very easy to grok

i’m pretty comfortable using unreal engine to do stuff, had a lot of fun doing so, but I have concluded that ultimately I can’t operate as a one man band, I can do some stuff but simply have no motivation to do other stuff.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

so I'm working on my game again, I've sorta got 3 parallel branches going:

1) The flagship 3D version. This is getting the least attention right now because making 3D assets is slow. can be fun though

2) The 2D rapid prototype version. basically to work out game mechanics and test everything works in Godot.

3) The "classic" version - coded in python/curses, this is more of an idle time-filler and a way to test data structures and stuff separate from the Godot branches. But I'm also intending to polish it up into a simpler, standalone version of the game that can be played in the terminal. also I'm keeping it "safe" for slow connections so you can play it over your 300 baud modem maybe.

idk if I'm being stupid doing it this way but I'm still "learning how to code" and taking different approaches is educational. bite me

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

so I'm working on my game again, I've sorta got 3 parallel branches going:

1) The flagship 3D version. This is getting the least attention right now because making 3D assets is slow. can be fun though

2) The 2D rapid prototype version. basically to work out game mechanics and test everything works in Godot.

3) The "classic" version - coded in python/curses, this is more of an idle time-filler and a way to test data structures and stuff separate from the Godot branches. But I'm also intending to polish it up into a simpler, standalone version of the game that can be played in the terminal. also I'm keeping it "safe" for slow connections so you can play it over your 300 baud modem maybe.

idk if I'm being stupid doing it this way but I'm still "learning how to code" and taking different approaches is educational. bite me

a flagship 3D version. a 2D rapid prototype. and a "classic" version coded in python.
a flagship 3D version. a 2D rapid prototype. and a "classic" version coded in python.

don't you get it?

they're not three different branches, they'll all one game, and we're calling it:

third-person minecraft

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

eventually there will be space mining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

someone told me I could write the core game in python and use json to communicate with a 3d client. sounds like nerd poo poo