Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I mean the crux of most online games is an authoritative server with dumb clients, maybe some prediction and smoothing. The game running on the client is not 'the game' in many ways.

I wrote my card game server in Deno at first because I LIIIKE typescript and it was easy to manage connections or test from cli, then wrote the client in Godot to make it pretty.

Reading about serious netplay reconciliation is a bitch though. And you'd probably want to use really small serialized packets over UDP, not just JSON for latency.

I was toying with different strategies based on this writeup and couldn't really reason about syncing an actual physics system between server and client.

This is a v good easy read though on the topic
https://www.gabrielgambetta.com/client-server-game-architecture.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
oh I don't even mean netplay, I just mean a local server if that makes sense. i'm not good at this though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I originally envisaged crime committer to have a network presence, but only in the sense that as an idle game, you didn’t need to leave it idling, you could log out and log in somewhere else and it’s like you left it going

you were still encouraged to log in tho because when you initiate a crime, let’s say robbing a bank, it takes 27 hours, and so after 27 hours the crime is complete and you can collect the reward and start the crime again

I thought it was brilliant of me: when you start a crime and it takes 27 hours, what it does is encode the time 27 hours from the click (in a cookie), and the “countdown”, is just time until it’s over. this actually worked kinda well because you could close the browser and open it back up and it was like you had left it running

but it was just local on cookies, imagine how sick if it was legit online. some way to compete with friends too

wouldn’t it be sick if I had the motivation to finish it lol

I think I need a partner in crime, because I like building the “engine”, I like adding features (scope creep lyfe) but when it’s time to make the content my motivation drops off a cliff and I now know this is typical adhd hyperfocus for a bit then all motivation dies, but knowing that doesn’t mean I can get around it.

probably also someone who knows js could totally copy my game in a day and much less of a mess (god the code is a mess) but .. only I own crimecommitter.com which ngl is a fuckin sick url

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Honestly this is where being a SaaS dev starts to feel icky. You spend all day thinking about crazy over architected solutions but hell writing a couple thousand players latest state to db can be done in a $5/mo cloud instance no problem.

Maybe we could jam some time. Just have to get fams and date lines sorted or do some async poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that sounds sick

tbh I dunno what I bring to the table, other than the idea lol

I’ve lost the url to the original crime committer. well github is being a fuckwit

crimecommitter.com loads up v2 but v2 while tidier is no where near as fleshed out

once I paid a local conedian $100 to write some material lol but it wasn’t very good

I had developed a slight adventure aspect where you had an inventory and some crimes like skateboarding required a skateboard for example

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

post hole digger posted:

Figurine Painting Simulator

this is called texture painting and it’s one of the modal windows built in to blender

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

roguelike mgs style stealth game, where the scenario is a blatant rip off of die hard. sneak around, find things you need to accomplish goals in order to stop the terrorists, all while the clock is running down with various events happening around you in real time. instead of going down the kojima intricate batshit insane plot route, a ton of things could be randomised for replayability. not just building layout and starting area, but also the various subplots, objectives and final setpiece would be pulled from a pool of possibilities.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

roguelike mgs style stealth game, where the scenario is a concealed rip off of die hard. sneak around, find things you need to accomplish goals in order to stop the terrorists, all while the clock is running down with various events happening around you in real time. instead of going down the kojima intricate batshit insane plot route, a ton of things could be randomised for replayability. not just building layout and starting area, but also the various subplots, objectives and final setpiece would be pulled from a pool of possibilities.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crazy Achmed posted:

roguelike mgs style stealth game, where the scenario is a blatant rip off of die hard. sneak around, find things you need to accomplish goals in order to stop the terrorists, all while the clock is running down with various events happening around you in real time. instead of going down the kojima intricate batshit insane plot route, a ton of things could be randomised for replayability. not just building layout and starting area, but also the various subplots, objectives and final setpiece would be pulled from a pool of possibilities.

use a LLM to produce thousands of hours of worthless content

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but that could be cool

what’s a vibe that’s under-utilised? isometric? make it a bit like rainbow islands or bubble bobble ?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

well if we're talking isometric then you've just reminded me of the sad fact that instead of seeing a 3rd crusader game, tony zurovec instead went to help make star citizen :(

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I have a really good pretentious idea for a video game but I don't code so mercifully it's never leaving the design doc.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

mario party but it’s all drinking games and comes bundled with official nintendo licensed liquor

so far I’ve come up with Princess Peach Vodka. maybe Toad Tequila? idk im workshopping it

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mario Martini

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Mario Martini

I was thinking Mario Malort but your idea is probably better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Luigi Long Island Iced Tea

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Koopa Kognac

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nice

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

next time I have an itch to do some retro computer programming I’ve thought about remaking Drug Wars but instead of it being about cocaine in 80s NYC have it be about selling artisanal kombucha in 2020s NYC

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

THE MARKET HAS BEEN FLOODED WITH CHEAP HOME-MADE SCOBY!

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Isometric RPG like the first two fallout games, only it's cyberpunk and has fixed save points so you have to work around the consequences of your decisions and what the RNG hands you.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Thief but you're stealing corporate intel from a tech company. But you're still a dude named Garrett with a bow and arrow.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
question : do you get to design your genitals at the character selection screen

George
Nov 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

question : do you get to design your genitals at the character selection screen

do we really need to have this conversation again

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

armored core 6 moba mode, like future cop lapd did back in the day.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

George posted:

Thief but you're stealing corporate intel from a tech company. But you're still a dude named Garrett with a bow and arrow.

this would also work great as a roguelike too

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

speaking of: a roguelike where you're trapped in an ikea after dark and instead of combat the main mechanic is assembling furniture with procedurally-generated fake-scandi names

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

mario party but it’s all drinking games and comes bundled with official nintendo licensed liquor

so far I’ve come up with Princess Peach Vodka. maybe Toad Tequila? idk im workshopping it

Peach Brandy. Wiggler Tequila (since it has a worm).

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Peach Brandy. Wiggler Tequila (since it has a worm).

:hmmyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thinking about a game where you live on a garbage heap and you have to build ever advanced machinery to mine the heap

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

thinking about a game where you live on a garbage heap and you have to build ever advanced machinery to mine the heap

noita but the ground is compacted garbage

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Are there any good spider games? Not man spiders but like spider spiders.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

root of all eval posted:

deadly creatures (Wii, 2009) featuring the voices of Dennis hopper and Billy Bob Thornton

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

noita but the ground is compacted garbage

I haven't played this but side scrolling made me think of terreria

terriara but garbage heaps]

also its has crusader king vibes because your garbage family has to assert dynastic dominion over the garbage heap

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

echinopsis posted:

WALLEbound

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
ffxiv but the pvp isn't complete absolute trash where risk is never rewarded and the only way to kill anyone is to zerg them

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
ffxiv but they made shadowbringers hildibrand

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

root of all eval posted:

ps1 has ‘spider the video game’ but I’ve never played it so I can’t say if it’s good

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ffxiv but not a mmorpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
frogger but as a mmorpg