Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I can say with conviction that Wurm is weirdly wonderful. I remember playing even before Bearback Mountain, back when we had a series of tropical island settlements. The first one I remember joining was Bearhamas, or maybe Bearbados.

So many bizarre memories of this game, like when we spent a night singing showtunes at some rando who was mad at us. Or when we convinced the pubbies that we were a hive mind Russian bot colony. It's one of those moldy old games where the playerbase takes it extremely seriously and are really fun to mess with as a result, and sometimes get irrationally angry with you for just doing your own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

The game has changed a lot since the Bearback Mountain days, but it still hits that sweet spot of intricate crafting and weirdly zen mechanics for me. There's no better game I've found for playing while trying to focus after a long period of stress. I'm not going to pretend this game is for everyone but if anyone is on the fence it's absolutely worth trying it out to see if it hits the right notes for you.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pontificating rear end posted:

The problem with Wurm pubbies is they never comprimise, they just whine to admin. They could easily plant a bunch of sprouts and chances are the trees would be fully grown in a couple weeks because chopping sprouts or small trees is not usually done.

It's extreme HOA energy, yes.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

The town has expanded quite a bit since the OP so I figured I'd throw a few pics up of our progress.

Here we see the town hall on the left, and my house, The Brewery, on the right hand side. There's a guard tower for protection from the vicious animals and trolls of Wurm.

On the other side of our colony, there's a great hall under construction that will eventually provide lots of spare beds, craft spaces, and cart storage. You can also see the great clay pit.

My obsession this time around has been smith work. I've created a range of tools for the group, along with sets of armor and weapons, including some armor for our wonderful horse. He might be old and fat, but drat it, he's ours.

The current project is a large corbita, a sailing boat we can use to clearcut whole forests and transport the lumber back to town for crafting of goods or sale in bulk. It's a large scale project that might take days or weeks, but sailing with a bunch of dumb goons should be pretty entertaining once it's complete.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

MrTargetPractice posted:

Last time I played this I built a galley from scratch and one of the guild officers stole and hid it. They wouldn't even let me look at it because "you wouldn't be able to sail it anyway". Is that guy still playing?

Do you remember their name? Most everyone who is in the game with us has posted in the thread I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

MrTargetPractice posted:

Nah, it's wasn't really a serious post just airing grievances because I am a child. Wurm is a fun, weird game, and Goons as always dope to play with.

In that case, you should join up! There's a bunch of pubbies building a set of colossus statues just down the road from us, and they get really sad when you don't talk to them and just fart at them and their statues while riding past.

I do that a lot.