Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Alchemist
Gnome (Pyro)
LPers Choice
LPers Choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BisbyWorl posted:

Class: Bard
Race: Kitsune
Deity: Desna
Name: LPer's Choice

Yeah, if you're going Azata this makes the most sense thematically. +1 here

Also, Arcanist is a Wizard but with Sorcerer casting mechanics. Still pseudo-Vancian, no MP in sight

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To clarify a question I got on discord: no voting for portraits.

I'll see what the thread decides for race and class, and then select a portrait or import one of my own as I see fit.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

How delightful to get in at the start of this. I have nothing to contribute to the character selection, but I think I'll like chaotic good.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

AtomikKrab posted:

Alchemist
Gnome (Pyro)
LPers Choice
LPers Choice

Ditto.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

BisbyWorl posted:

I'll go with this one, with one change.

Name: Ylvis :colbert:

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
I remember the game getting flak due to some mythic paths having a lot less writing to them than others, especially late-game ones. Azata wasn't concerned by that problem though, so that's one issue solved. Curious to see how that LP will go.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Clarifying another question I've gotten on discord: yes, Azata can complete the game as Neutral Good. This was my PC at the end of my previous Azata game:

I will not object if the PC's alignment drifts into Chaotic Good, but I will probably be generally picking the Good options above all others.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
From what I remember, Mythics can stay within one step of their alignment and not have to take steps to remedy things, so NG Azata are 100% game legal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommissarMega posted:

From what I remember, Mythics can stay within one step of their alignment and not have to take steps to remedy things, so NG Azata are 100% game legal.

It depends on the path.

As I noted in the overview, Aeons for example are especially stringent. Other paths will instantly and permanently change your alignment and make it impossible to change out once you lock them in.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
a lot of pathfinder 1e was designed by Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e superfans, for whom character creation was a game in and of itself and one that it was important people be able to lose. as a result, there are ~eight thousand classes in this game, and a list of ~eight million feats, 95% of which will be completely useless to a given character concept. this allows you to replicate the thrilling D+D 3.5 experience of reading through a dozen sourcebooks trying to find the feat/class combination that will allow you to break the game in half, as opposed to being a useless accessory while the wizard ends the encounter.

the Wrath guys have followed this up with Rogue Trader, which is based on a much, much simpler system. in that, they have only made one character class useless, and only about half the feats are useless. so they have learned from their mistakes!

SteveSteveSteve
Sep 6, 2023

BisbyWorl posted:

I too go with this. I look forward to seeing where this story unfolds.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Cythereal posted:

a blind LP of BattleTech 2018's story campaign

That would be neat!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

a lot of pathfinder 1e was designed by Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e superfans, for whom character creation was a game in and of itself and one that it was important people be able to lose. as a result, there are ~eight thousand classes in this game, and a list of ~eight million feats, 95% of which will be completely useless to a given character concept. this allows you to replicate the thrilling D+D 3.5 experience of reading through a dozen sourcebooks trying to find the feat/class combination that will allow you to break the game in half, as opposed to being a useless accessory while the wizard ends the encounter.

the Wrath guys have followed this up with Rogue Trader, which is based on a much, much simpler system. in that, they have only made one character class useless, and only about half the feats are useless. so they have learned from their mistakes!

Speaking as a 3.5 fellow, but not PF 1e one - how much of these 20+ classes serve a purpose, how much are bloat?
(looking at 3.5 "...but from east asia!" fellas...)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I've done Angel, Azata, Trickster and most of Aeon to date. Since you're after fun new dialogues and unique stuff,

Class: Bard.
Name: Elpiers Choyce

I was considering Half-Orc over Kitsune, my first ever D&D 3.0 character was a half-orc Bard, but happy to go with the consensus. There's some powerful shenanigans you can get up to with the shapechanging foxfolk.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gun Jam posted:

Speaking as a 3.5 fellow, but not PF 1e one - how much of these 20+ classes serve a purpose, how much are bloat?
Based on the computer games - they're bloat mechanically but at the same time they make for cool roleplaying options.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
(Adventure) Path Of The Righteous: Where The Abyss Did This Game Come From?

All tabletop RPG lines have premade adventures in case the party are newbies and need a jumping off point, or if the DM's lost for ideas. Sometimes these are small affairs attached at the back of sourcebooks, sometimes these are arranged into small collections, and sometimes these are large-scale affairs covering multiple books- and Wrath of the Righteous is one of the latter.

The Worldwound Incursion is the first book in the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path. Those familiar with the CRPG might have already noticed a major departure in the AP and CRPG's canon events. Also, holy hell does Wayne Reynolds (artist involved in many Paizo works, from AP covers to the art of Pathfinder's iconic characters) love making things look bulky.

The thirteenth of Pathfinder First Edition's Adventure Paths (APs for short), Wrath was released in August 2013, with a new book coming out every month until the final one in January 2014. Like First Edition's other APs, it is a collection of 6 books of 96 pages each, and was designed to showcase Paizo's new Mythic systems for Pathfinder. As Cytheral said, Mythic Paths are massive boosts in power for player characters, and the AP really does its best to make you work for and with those Mythic powers, though how well it does so depends on the group- new players might find the AP's mechanics challenging, maybe even a little unfair at first, but for those who see breaking character optimization over their knee to be as important and fun as playing the game- yeah, Wrath isn't going to push them very hard mechanically, and adding in Mythic systems makes it even more absurdly easier. There are some narrative issues with the original AP, but in my experience I think Owlcat's done their best to adapt the original PNP systems to a CRPG.

Which I suppose is the major point of this post. While I strongly suggest not reading the AP itself if you want to completely avoid spoilers, speaking as someone who is familiar with the original Wrath, there were still a lot of surprises and elements I had to adapt to, not least being the fact that Paizo's Mythic Paths and systems are completely different to how they are presented in the game. There are also a few easter eggs and adapted elements from the original AP that I'd say Owlcat did better than Paizo; don't get me wrong, I think it's clear I enjoyed the original AP way back when, but there is a certain bias in how the original AP was written that makes it clear the authors were making the AP for a predominantly Good party with at least one Paladin of Iomedae, something that certainly does not come across in the CRPG. With Cyth's permission, I'll point out these changes only when doing so will not be spoilery.

In any case, I think I'll stop here for now; after all, this was originally a nearly 600-page published adventure dealing with what is ultimately one of the smaller parts of Golarion, the world in which Pathfinder is set. There'll be a lot more to cover in the coming updates, trust me on this!

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 11, 2024

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gun Jam posted:

Oh man, there's quite a lot of it, but if there's one thing I can say about PF1e compared to 3.5, it's that at least Paizo didn't seem to intentionally add Monte Cook-style trap options (that they didn't carry over from 3.5, like Toughness). Don't get me wrong, I think most of the regular classes are all cool, and I really like some of the archetypes, but man oh man there's just so many options that exist solely for niche RP cases, over-complicated solutions for RP questions that a feat/extra published ability or two couldn't have answered.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Owlcat games are this kind of games that I usually bitch about and still I like to play from time to time.

I absolutely loving hate almost everything in Owlcat's game design. I hate that game throws at us 2137 stat inflated trashmobs at every step (one of endgame enemies - not a boss - has 74 armor class. I hate how it has bajilion classes but about 10% is valid, most of them is mediocre at best and bait at worst - special prize goes to class focused on poison in game where most enemies is resistant or immune to poison. I hate how on difficulties higher than easy you need to spam buffs before every fight. I hate how leveling is a chore. I hate crusader mode. I'm glad Cythereal plays on easy mode, because this game is simply unfun on higher difficulty levels.

That being said, WotR has absolutely amazing soundtrack, LGBT themes (including rare asexual representation - this setting literally has a nonbinary deity of breaking gender stereotypes), interesting NPCs, mythic routes are great and it's the only cRPG I know where "evil route" isn't just "good route but you lose 75% of game content in exchange for edgy dialogue lines and 1 or 2 mediocre NPCs" (I'm looking at you, Baldur's Gate!). It is one of these games where I'm not ashamed of simply cheating because it is necessary to make this game fun.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The auto-buff mod is such a QoL improvement that it makes me mad it's not core to the game.

Gun Jam posted:

"What even is Bloat" is such a difficult question to answer for a crunchy, kitchen sink game, honestly.

Like, is there a unique class fantasy for Inquisitor or Cavalier that can't be supported by a rogue/paladin build or a fighter/ranger? No, not really. But they have unique mechanics that the other classes don't have, so it's more about working backwards to get the mechanical gameplay you want with the tools presented.

But at the end of the day, full casters are perfectly fine with minimal tweaking, so... I don't know where I was going with this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I will be doing some breakdowns of classes and other mechanical aspects of the game as the LP goes on, for the record, I'm very conversant in 3.5E but am not one of the serious grogs.

Voting will remain open for the rest of the week as promised. There's clear favorites for class, deity, and name, but race is tightly contested.

Bard will be interesting if it keeps its lead. I've never built or used a bard in Wrath before.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

Bard will be interesting if it keeps its lead. I've never built or used a bard in Wrath before.

Then by all means let me add to that lead:

Having played an Azata bard before (though I got distracted away before finishing the playthrough), it really works well thematically, and the class isn't bad at all either.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

BisbyWorl posted:

This one has my vote.

My understanding of Pathfinder is highly flavored by my experience in a fanmade expansion/conversion for Pathfinder which drastically raised the power level of most classes. One member of the group was a feverant power gamer who sat down and devised a way to create a character he nicknamed "Broly." Due to a combo of feats and class features "Broly" was a semi immortal whirlwind of death. Eventually, he got bored of poor "Broly" and made a "gunman" who specialized in ray and touch spells.

It's entirely my fault for starting in a fan thing that was obviously less playtested and had a bunch of stuff jammed in "because it would be cool." But it had the side effect of making me look at Pathfinder classes and find them horribly stripped bare. If you've ever seen the leveling table for Fighter it's half feats. Granted I suppose the 5E fighter is half Ability Score Improvements...

Sorry, that's a long-winded way for me to say, I know enough to have a preconceived notion of how this works. But I'm probably going to be surprised time and time again at how different things are.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Good luck Cyth, and above all else, have fun.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Class: Magus
Race: Dhampir

Dhampir Magus Azata path worshipping Pharasma is how I try to play the game, but I play on Core and that gets difficult. And before anyone asks Pharasma is okay with Dhampir since they aren't undead. I really like Psychopomps, the whole usher in life and usher out the dead is really cool to me.

Edit: Also hope you romance Arueshalae. She's my choice among the romancables.

ChaosStar0 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 12, 2024

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
I'll throw my hat in on this:

Class: Arcanist
Race: Kitsune (Regular)
Deity: Cayden Cailean

I've always been interested in this game, can't wait to see how this goes!

-----

Anecdote from a person who plays the TTRPG: 3.5/PF1E character building can be weirdly flexible if you're willing to dig deep enough. I once built a vaguely Indiana Jones-style archeologist... with Barbarian as the base chassis for the character.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Class: Skald
Race: Half-Orc
Deity: Cayden Cailean

I'm not sure if this is going to be more or less of a marathon than Warcraft was, but at least you know going in that it's a game and story that you enjoy. Have fun, and I look forward to reading along :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ChaosStar0 posted:

Edit: Also hope you romance Arueshalae. She's my choice among the romancables.

All I'll say on this is: yes, folks, romance is in this game and a good romance story is catnip for me. My requirements in this game are simply to be a woman romanceable by women and not currently be a cannibalistic serial killer.

This narrows the field nicely. :v:

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 12, 2024

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

All I'll say on this is: yes, folks, romance is in this game and a good romance story is catnip for me. My requirements in this game are simply to be a woman romanceable by women and not be a cannibalistic serial killer.

This narrows the field nicely. :v:

Down to two :v: Personally, I'll definitely have Opinions about romances in both Wrath (CRPG and AP) and how it's presented in the other APs, but that might have to wait for a while.

Cranachan
Jun 29, 2023
Excited to see you take WotR on after the Warcraft LP! Had a go at it myself recently, and had plenty of fun stumbling across various Mythic Paths in the early game, but the Conquest mode just didn't click for me at all. Might give it a second spin with that turned off.

Suggestions!

Class: Druid
Race: LPer's choice
Name: LPer's choice

Druid seems reasonably harmonious with the planned Azata path, and playing on story mode difficulty should make it pretty easy to solve most problems by the application of bears.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm here for this, I'm a pretty big Pathfinder nerd but I've never pulled the trigger on picking this one up. As for my vote:

Class: LPer's choice
Name: LPer's choice

I like foxes.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Class: Witch
Race: Gnome
Deity: Shelyn

I have no idea if this is a good set or not, I just want a gnome in a pointy hat

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Witches are fun. My one complete playthrough was with a witch. Good mixture of BOOM and support spells from the wizard and cleric lines

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Class: Cavalier
Race: Dhampir
Deity: Gozreh

That seems suitably heroic and adventurer-like. But witch does sound fun. Tough choice.

I've seen a little of this game by a couple of streamers so what I know is kinda a disjointed mess. One of the poor fools was playing on hard and it looked horribly painful and unfun. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fortunately, regardless of what combo wins, I have a couple of friends who have approached me on discord who are very knowledgeable about the setting and can fill me in on whatever the thread decides so I can write the heroine accordingly.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
With one being noticeably half-baked compared to the rest.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

Honestly this sounds fun enough that I'm tempted to start a new game as it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, voting is pretty overwhelming at this point but I am going to keep myself honest this time and not close voting early.

For those concerned about my talk of burnout in previous LPs, I know full well this is going to be another very long LP and I need to force myself to pace.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least the game's writing will be better this time. Always take care.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Cythereal posted:

My requirements...and not currently be a cannibalistic serial killer.

Who failed that part? (vampires?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gun Jam posted:

Who failed that part? (vampires?)

Patience.