Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

How did a card game...
(kidding, kidding)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That being said, at the prompting of discord, here's the start of a glossary for Dungeons and Dragons fandom terms that you can expect me to use throughout the LP. I'll edit these back into the second post of the thread.

Dip: The practice of taking a small number of levels in a given class to unlock particular class features.

Edition Wars: An evil I will not tolerate in this thread. There have been numerous editions of Dungeons and Dragons as a system over the years, as well as Pathfinder which is legally not an edition of Dungeons and Dragons as a system. Many people have strong preferences for one particular edition, and some choose to express these preferences online with great enthusiasm and force. I will not tolerate this nonsense in my thread. You have been warned.

Gish: A character built to be capable of both physical combat (especially melee) and arcane spellcasting.

Grog/Grognard: A serious nerd for tabletop mechanics. Usually somewhat derogatory and/or bitter referring to fans of mechanical complexity and system mastery.

Gygax: Gary Gygax, the man who created Dungeons and Dragons as we know it. A virulently racist, sexist, all-around piece of poo poo who has left an enormous mark on the tabletop fantasy gaming genre.

Munchkin: That Guy.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Oh boy, Pathfinder WotR. A system full of absolute rubbish game design, coupled with scenario and encounter design that exacerbates those issues instead of trying to ameliorate them. I could go on for paragraphs about how bad the game design is. I also have put several hundred hours into this game and I will probably put more time into it sooner or later because I'm a sucker for all that crunch despite thinking it's bad design, and it doesn't hurt that the story is power fantasy done well :allears:

Class: Demonslayer Ranger
Race: LPer's Choice
Deity: Erastil
Name: Choice

If you hadn't banned halfling I'd have gone with my first idea, which was a halfling cavalier of the paw named Midna, riding a wolf named Link. But that'd probably get a bit stale pretty quick with how long the game is.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cythereal posted:

Munchkin: That Guy.

More particularly, the Min/Max version of That Guy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Volmarias posted:

More particularly, the Min/Max version of That Guy.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda feeling called out here (especially since I'm not really that good at it) :saddowns:

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Boksi posted:

Oh boy, Pathfinder WotR. A system full of absolute rubbish game design, coupled with scenario and encounter design that exacerbates those issues instead of trying to ameliorate them. I could go on for paragraphs about how bad the game design is. I also have put several hundred hours into this game and I will probably put more time into it sooner or later because I'm a sucker for all that crunch despite thinking it's bad design, and it doesn't hurt that the story is power fantasy done well :allears:

Yeah, for all its disadvantages, WotR really did power fantasy well. I'm so glad Cyth is playing Azata, because That One Fight combined with Azata music theme was one of the best experiences I had in entire game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My avatar is the Scarlet 'G' for grognard... :smug:

Class: Bard
Race: Kitsune

Foxy Bard is the best in WotR

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CommissarMega posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda feeling called out here (especially since I'm not really that good at it) :saddowns:

And if you had said nothing, none of us would have known!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
There are multiple forms of That Guy.

It's best not to let yourself stray too far into any particular TTRPG archetype, as at the end lies That Guyness.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What about if you're The Loonie?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Say, Cythereal, since it seems quite clear as to what class is in the lead, might I suggest the Dirge Bard archetype? They give up some relatively minor bardic abilities for excellent crowd control and summoning, and while the fluff portrays them as relatively grim fellows, I always saw their Dance of the Dead ability as something akin to the Day of the Dead celebrations of those who've passed on.

Volmarias posted:

And if you had said nothing, none of us would have known!

Um, I'm not dumb, you're- uh, unsmrt!

Quackles posted:

What about if you're The Loonie?

Honestly, I'd take powergamers over loonies any day- at least you know that powergamers take the game seriously on some level.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Put me down for another vote for Kitsune Dirge Bard that worships Desna. I can see the Day of the Dead wandering mariachi theme working too.

Not going to say more right now other than that I enjoy this game, wish Cythreal good luck with the LP, and will be reading it. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll pass on the dirge bard, Pharasma wouldn't be happy about that one. :v:

As it is, just writing up all the actual crunch of character creation for the probable winner, which all easily adapts in case something else pulls ahead, was almost 2k words. Good Lord.

But, I am assuming that some of my readers may have never played a d20 system game before, and while I'm no character optimization fiend, I am conversant in crunch and will be making an effort to explain what everything means as we go along.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

I'll pass on the dirge bard, Pharasma wouldn't be happy about that one. :v:

Bah, who acres what that old hag thinAAAAARGH

Cythereal posted:

But, I am assuming that some of my readers may have never played a d20 system game before, and while I'm no character optimization fiend, I am conversant in crunch and will be making an effort to explain what everything means as we go along.

Honestly, considering how crunch-heavy Pathfinder is, this would be the prudent decision even if everyone here was familiar with D&D 3.5's systems :eng101:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Change all my votes to LPer’s choice. I want to see this game played to completion and enjoyed more than I want a specific class etc combo. Again, good luck to the LPer.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

achtungnight posted:

Change all my votes to LPer’s choice. I want to see this game played to completion and enjoyed more than I want a specific class etc combo. Again, good luck to the LPer.

On the other hand, there's nothing more essential to the game experience than getting option paralysis in character creation! :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Capfalcon posted:

On the other hand, there's nothing more essential to the game experience than getting option paralysis in character creation! :v:

I am not one of those people who suffers from option paralysis as a general rule. There is only what do I choose to play now and what's replay value.

There are very few games I only play once and call it done, usually games that I'd grown to dislike by the end but saw them out for whatever reason and uninstalled.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 13, 2024

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Class: Crossblooded Sorcerer (Black Dragon)
Race: Aasimar
Deity: Desna
Name: Katarina Turan

Like mothers, like daughter.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 13, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Seconding this.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Race: Aasimar (I'd suggest Peri-Blooded)

Cancel my own suggestion, 'cos I'm gonna vote for this :allears:

EDIT: And combine the racial suggestion with the below class suggestion even though I think Electricity is the better option for that mythic.VVVVVV

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 14, 2024

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Cancel my vote and count me on this one, with Elemental (Earth) as the second bloodline since Warcraft black dragons are also associated with Earth, and it comes with a handy-dandy little toggle to turn all your damaging spells into Acid damage so you can blow everything up with the +1 damage/die from Black Dragon. (Though Acid is a very common resistance, there's a nice little mythic option to turn those resistances off.)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I'll swap to this one as well.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

BisbyWorl posted:

Class: Bard
Race: Kitsune
Name: LPer's Choice

Voting for this one.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

A switch to this too. Better than foxbard for sure

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Yeah, this is good actually - Switching my vote to this

Cranachan
Jun 29, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

This is great. Likewise switching to it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Let the record show that I hate you all for the mess this has made of my bookkeeping for the votes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Let the record show that I hate you all for the mess this has made of my bookkeeping for the votes.

This is just us replicating the real dnd/pathfinder character creation experience for you.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Cythereal posted:

Sorry not sorry for liking your story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just in case anyone missed it, I was being sarcastic with that remark. :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Just in case anyone missed it, I was being sarcastic with that remark. :v:

:v: thus why I was being snarky with my reply

The new idea is just a lot better than my original arsonist gnome plot.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm sticking with my original vote, because I am super behind on the previous thread.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

What the hell, I was too lazy to really type out a good ref to your last LP for character, so let's go with this

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just wanted to see a Fox Bard! :cry:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just wanted to see a Fox Bard! :cry:

For what it's worth, I wasn't expecting voting to be half this active, and I just spent the last half hour going through the thread and all my PMs fresh to recalculate votes in a bid to keep my bookkeeping straight.

I think at this point, the next time I need to have a major vote, I'll look into one of those free online survey websites. -_-

SteveSteveSteve
Sep 6, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I also change my vote. (Sorry about that.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Since all the cool kids goons are doing it.

Also changing my vote.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
gently caress it. I wasn't expecting half this much voting and I was not expecting to break out a spreadsheet. And this vote changing is driving me up the wall.

I am curtailing voting by decree of stop making me do this much paperwork. Y'all have until I turn in for the night this evening for any last second votes.

I do believe that in the future, I will be counting all votes as final.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 14, 2024

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Isn't that basically spoiler without context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I like the name, so blind-voting this.