Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
From warcraft to this? You're nuts. But i'm here for it. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah the angle they try with 'but she's a powerful ally' as an excuse to give her bullshit a pass is kind of... not effective? I already stack every permanent and temporary buff on the main character that even on normal difficulty it feels like I already am a demon wrecking ball. Nah, think I'd rather just put down the problem early.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Does a love potion mean immediate aphrodisiac? Not being sarcastic, I actually don't know how that works in pathfinder verse, if that means immediately bang the first person you see or if they're both realizing they're horrible romantic poets.

Since I can't read implications to save my life, I'm just guessing the former is what's being hinted at. Then again, I've gotten the feeling I'm the weirdo for disassociating romantic interest and sexuality.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Wasn't sure, but it's still sketch as all hell and there's no real good reason for making people drink it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Sorry Cyth. I didn't mean for my curiosity about the item to stir things up like that. You are right about the matter in question.

Woljif always feels a bit odd to have as an addition to the party. He's not bad, sure, but the way he acts seems at odds with actually sticking around the group at the epicenter of the heaviest fighting. Then again, most video games gloss over the threats of mortal combat to people's fight or flight response. It'd be odd otherwise. Though in a way, the thieflings you recruited do address that a little better, but that's for a future update.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Its admirably stoic in a way. You have to succeed, because there isn't really any other option in the end. To fail, to turn, or to die is to sign yourself and everything you care about to the worst fates imaginable. You fight and succeed, because to entertain any alternative is to fail in this scenario.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Cythereal posted:

She (I don't think it will surprise anyone that I'm planning a f/f romance for this LP)

Shocked, SHOCKED, I say! :cheeky:

Speaking of reactivity though, I do kind of appreciate the levels of dialogue people had for the lich path when I'm not being mustache twirling evil. But then the game has to insist I'm doing it wrong if I don't have the particular EEEEEVIL alignment. Bummed me out a bit.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Yup. Eberron comes to mind as a case where undead and making them don't have to be evil, both in forms of positive energy animated 'Our hallowed ancestors still walk among us and guide us' and traditional undead who believe they're morally right to cling to existence because that setting knows exactly what happens when you die and it isn't great so one major religion says you have an affirmative moral duty to cheat the normal cycle of life and death.

I get the impression that Lich in Wrath met with a lot of conflicting expectations. The path primarily caters to MUHUHAHAHAHAHA! BOW BEFORE MY ENDLESS EMPIRE OF DEATH! and does so with great enthusiasm, but a lot of people seem to have expected more... nuance.

Pretty much. I don't know why I expected anything more than the bog standard impression of undeath in the game, but I'd more chalk that up to my unfamiliarity with pathfinder's setting. Came fresh off a game where necromancy was little more than a macarbe form of using golems. Except you know, bones and flesh cause it's already there and assembled mostly.

So, my bad.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Aw. Tease us with the other leading vote more, why don't you?

I suppose since you can get most of your party perma killed or having them leave for good, you need some source of new party members. Expensive as hell though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Cythereal posted:

On the Power of Solitude

Yet, I personally have an extremely troubled history with the concept of 'the power of friendship,' not the least because of my probable neurodivergence. I, unfortunately, have a long history of being a victim of abusive behavior, and most of that abusive behavior only began after someone approached me as a friend. In short, kindness and enthusiastically attempting to become my friend reads to me as a precursor to abusive behavior, and the nicer someone seems the more suspicious I am that this is a love bomb. Yes, I have brought this up in therapy. But it is what it is.

I... am friends with a couple neurodivergent women that have had that exact issue. Twas so bad that they thought that was how friendship was supposed to work. Needless to say unraveling that in the following days was a journey and a half that helped the both of us grow tremendously. I genuinely hope that you either have now or will find friendships that treat you fairly.

To not make this post too narrow, I'd like to echo idonotlikepeas mention of Alpha Protocol. Sometimes antagonizing some characters instead of befriending them is more helpful to your goal. It is exceedingly rare in rpgs in general, as often it's just a barrier to content if you don't befriend npcs.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I manage okay in real life, thanks. :)

I only brought up my personal history to preface why I rate this part of Wrath's writing so highly. I personally simply do not get video game protagonists who are all-loving and friends with everyone, and it almost always rubs me the wrong way when I feel forced to be intimate friends with everyone in a game. When a game lets me, through a protagonist I feel like the game wants me to identify with, set and keep boundaries with people, without villifying me for it, that is something very rare that I treasure in a game's writing.

Glad to hear. I'm cursed with that darn empathy thing, so I worry for strangers.

That is something that upon reflection I notice in not just games but a lot of media. The setting of boundaries is often seen as a rude or anti-social thing. I'm not certain why that is, but perhaps that bit of maturity in communication is not as common as it should be.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Well, no pressure either way. A diagnosis can be a burden too when it comes to some doctors. Once its on your file (at least in America) you might have trouble getting them to listen to other concerns or issues without them putting it under the same umbrella.

Anyway, I shouldn't be filling up the thread with such a personal topic. I'll cut it out. It is nice the game lets you make your own way and with your own friends without trying to make you feel too bad about it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Life is taking swings left and right lately. Take care of yourself. We'll be patient.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I mean, feel free. Most of us that read do enjoy the analysis you do. And add me to the ranks of people that find so much going on that its a little hard to keep track of sometimes.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I mean... you don't -have- to have to go rescue them, do you? I've admittedly never tried just ignoring them.

Also sorry to hear that work sucks. Hopefully this lp helps a little with stress relief.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

It isn't even just the students! The alumni do it too!

My best friend was a college professor, so these occurrences don't surprise me. The stories they could tell of the sheer clueless-ness of fresh students and faculty members.

You've my empathy, all of you working in that sector.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

At least you get to save some non-hellknight folks.

I think I came to rationalize it pretty much the same way you did. I didn't technically expend any resources grabbing them besides a bit of time and effort, and if they want to goose step their dumb little asses into slowing down a demon horde in my stead, I wasn't going to particularly stop them.

Though it doesn't surprise me, it still saddens me a little to hear the source of his popularity.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I'd think there's some small part of it highlighting the usual response of someone that has extreme beliefs being faced with being wrong. He'll explain and try to justify his actions ad infinitum. Because the uncomfortable thought that all their cruelty and misery really had no point at all. To entertain that would hollow a good number of people, even it was worn down to a basic 'im just protecting myself' complaint.

Of course, That's almost certainly not the intent with the dialogue. But it did make me think of it watching him try to justify his BS.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Maybe you could make a list of approved topics and opinions.

I mean, we have a pretty good guide to that I think.

Ah yes, here it is. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053947&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Dunno who you think is going to be disappointed. Do whatever makes the game enjoyable and not frustrating. Most of us are here to see the narrative parts anyway.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Turns out money isn't a replacement for writing skill or imagination. Who knew?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Yikes. Kind of glad I missed the baldur's gate 2 era on rpgs.

Dare I ask what mods you made? If that's not too personal.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Oof yeah, this whole section is pretty bad if you're not good with body horror. I don't think anyone will blame you for glazing over parts.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

And that's just the mythic path's attempts at the worldwound problem. Can't wait to see the analysis of what other people have tried.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Poor Irabeth. I kind of spoiled myself on accident about that hidden meter early on and am sort of glad I did. Not that I think I would have behaved differently, mind. Because why would I not be kind and supportive to a PTSD victim? But I made extra sure to check in on her regularly.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Those birds are NOT amused.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Cythereal posted:

For those who might have wondered what growing up in Florida is like,

I'm so sorry.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Huh. I admit I did not know of that path for Nurah. Well, this is why LPs are fun. Get to discover new things that I wouldn't normally have come across.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Chelaxians ruin everything, don't they?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Hey, for what it's worth, I dig Arue's concept myself. As someone who tends to believe people can change and be better, It's a question I enjoy entertaining. Sure, it makes me naive sometimes, but I went through a pretty dramatic change as a person as I grew past my college days. Shame I didn't have the bleeding heart drive back then when I had all that energy.

Azata was my first playthrough choice too, for what its worth. Was worth it for making the little man with the dumb hair mad.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Mostly, I didn't take his path because starting at the front gates (or Nurah's 'trap' in the dungeons) lets you get Arue ASAP and I am a simp for her without apology. :v:

Also I find it very funny that Yua booted out Lann from the strike team in favor of running around the battlefield now accompanied by a succubus and not a single NPC has said a word about it so far.

I mean, their commander who is a magical fox lady who struck up a conversation with a caged succubus and they spontaneously started singing together and plants just erupt all over. At that point, there's a siege going on and asking questions would take up too much time to get a cohesive answer for. If Commander says don't shoot this one, just go with it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I'm imagining Yua, being a bard, is already thinking of how she's going to tell this story. And wondering if she even needs any embellishment with how things are going so far.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I mean, a different conclusion than that probably is what leads to the trickster path.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Fireball solves a lot not undead problems too!

And maybe creates others. One of my DM's favorite lines is 'are you sure you want to cast fireball in this small room/corridor?' and if the player doesn't immediately get their alarm bells rung, she'll happily let them suffer the consequences of lighting the party on fire. She's a fantastic DM but she can be pretty brutal, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

70 years on a single stronghold pretty far from the invasion point. Forget the demons how has Mendev as a country not collapsed inwards on itself? Or fallen apart from infighting or panic?