Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Capfalcon posted:

Let's go ahead and play an iconic!

Name: Imrijka
Class: Inquisitor
Race: Half Orc
Deity: Pharasma

There's injustice afoot, and Imrijka is going to root it out!

Also, I think it plays relatively nice with the Azata power set.

This, but

Deity: Gozreh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Witches are fun. My one complete playthrough was with a witch. Good mixture of BOOM and support spells from the wizard and cleric lines

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Class: Crossblooded Sorcerer (Black Dragon)
Race: Aasimar
Deity: Desna
Name: Katarina Turan

Like mothers, like daughter.

A switch to this too. Better than foxbard for sure

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

But where is Perfidious Albion in this setting. Surely there is a Perfidious Not!Albion

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Camellia rules, and future fascist character also rules. No notes.

:hai:

I am one of the people that completely missed Cammy's... lovely attributes until she beat me over the head with it in Act 2 during That Thing. I'm so used to NPCs and PCs yelling crazy poo poo during combat in games that her voice lines didn't really do anything for me. The hidden alignment made me roll my eyes and guess she would turn out to be evil. Just, not what she ends up as.

Wenduag is better than Lann at being a good person. There, I said it. You can fix her, you can't fix Lann.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

There is another one where the Lawful Good answer is roughly 'i don't like slavery, but that's your culture and law so I'll just return these slaves to you, evildoer' IIRC

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

But did the alternative future self from the past have a goatee? :ohdear:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Any time Minagho appears, I take the "what happened to your faaaaace???" dialogue option.

As shown artistically by Owlcat not giving her a face as a symbol of powerlessness and abuse, Minagho is truly the real victim in this story and the tragic heroine we should really be following. In this essay I will

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Cythereal posted:

You joke, but it actually is possible to set Minagho on the path of redemption in this game if you're on a certain mythic path. :v:

Didn't know Minagho could be straightened out, but I remember doing it for several others so I'm not surprised

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Cythereal posted:

It requires one particular mythic path and getting her girlfriend involved.

She's not in true love and monogamous with my man Stanton??? How could she lie like this?!

:goonsay:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I saved Hulrun in my first angel run and he was useful later in the game and somewhat redeemed.

Now though? :commissar:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Its a little awkward though in Act 1. The options for unlocking paths also say "[Requires X Path]" so it is easy to miss a path because the game's wording makes it seem like you already unlocked the path and are on it. At least a couple times this comes up IIRC. My first playthrough made me default to Angel because I didn't realize I was skipping paths when I didn't choose those options.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Bunga... Bunga.. land... :stare:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, that's a joke about black people in Africa from a racist mapmaker. Pathfinder has issues but it's not calling the entire area nothing but people banging on drums and chanting while mostly naked

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That map is way funnier while also not being racist

Cythereal posted:

That desire - 'my power fantasy is to be a good person making the world a better place while playing a gay lady with a kind-hearted girlfriend' - is shockingly hard to come by in gaming.

It'sa good desire that should be catered to

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I liked Nenio until I had to complete her quest without toybox :smithicide:

Daeren is great in the smug, charismatic bastard sense. It's easy to love to hate him

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, same. Horgus liking BDSM a bit too much was well within my lovely rich noble expectations

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I kept her in my first playthrough despite the shock in act 3. At that point I was all in on the "how far are they willing to write this monster" crazy train

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I think she's referring to him putting a love potion into a keg and locking people in a room to see what will happen.

Kanthulhu posted:

He got "Powerless Prophecy", then. I thought "Plagued" would fit his backstory better. But I don't know anything about this game, though

Plagued doesn't fit once you go into his backstory

Slaan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 12, 2024

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

I mean becoming a Lich isn’t a weapon like a sword or basic spell like magic missile. You are intentionally embracing and wielding one of the most evil cosmic forces in the universe. You can mitigate it to a degree, but if you want that full power you have to dive into it.

the actual problem with Lich route is how much you are forced to be a kiss rear end.

Nothing makes death or undeath inherently evil

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Death is itself not evil. Undeath involves *enslaving souls*, so yeah, it's pretty evil!

It's from this idea that a lot of fantasy necromancy, somewhat unwittingly, comes fun. Undeath isn't just evil because disrupting the rest of the dead is a severe taboo, or D&D's own weird usage of "negative energy." It's also, at least in much fantasy, forcing the souls of the dead into servitude and slavery. And hey, guess what, slavery's real loving evil, even if (and maybe especially if) the person in question was dead before you pressed them into service.

In universe there is probably a soul enslavement aspect, which is obviously evil. But outside the PF universe, there are many other variants that don't require that. Some where people volunteer to have their souls and bodies used to defend others for certain periods of time, some where the soul doesn't go into at all so it's just moving some decayed bones from 100 years ago around, etc.

I'd even say that using dead people to fight demons instead of putting the living in harms way is a net good, instead of a net bad under any system that doesn't torture enslaved souls

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

IIRC some of the devs worked on HoMM 5, so there's that :v:

Also only cheap weenies used Necropolis in HoMM 3. REAL MEN WHO ARE REAL GAMVRS™ ran Fortress and liked their victory wine :colbert:

Fortress or Dungeon forever :respek:

Never knew Owlcat had HOMM veterans in it, though it makes sense

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I liked Galfrey until, you know :frogdunce:

Sosiel I refuse to take because he's just so boring

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I've never saved and never will. They claim to be badasses that are better than others, so they can prove it

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

On some paths, yes. Not this path, no.

I like Regill because he's fun and this is a game. I'd punch him in real life, though. He actually is smarter than 80% of your cast, because the party is full of complete dumbasses (Ember's naivety, Cami's murder, Nenio is oblivious, etc.). Example number 1: Lann acting like the Hell knights are loving rad dude because they have spiky armor.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Lotta people got tilted by the swarms in the prologue of Kingmaker, where they operate by the book on all difficulties. Changing it to where they only work that way on Core+ here is such a relief.

I wondered why they seemed so much easier this time. I hated that drat spider cave in Kingmaker

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

It really is. Either you win with no losses or have a total wipe, there is no in-between. Some of the enemy army strengths are greatly wrong on the map, too. One "5" could be a ton of easily killed cultists, whilec another is a few small stacks of succubi who charm your army into killing itself. It can be fun to stomp stuff with various path specific units though

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We need to shut down Kickstarter until we figure out what is going on

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The only moral path is the worship of dragons :hmmyes:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I don't have positions I need to actually hold and defend in this chapter, but I very much have the impression that will change in the future, so lopping off enemy armies is always worthwhile even if the rewards are nothing special.

Not really a spoiler, but if you care enough I put it under one. Only the obvious target of Drezen has to be held and you can see armies approaching with plenty of time to spare

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That's essentially what my reading of him has been. He's a shithead because that protects good people around him from the Other and tries not to hurt good people. Look at his reactions to Ember, for instance. Anyone attracted to this behavior is a horrid person that would not be missed in general, so he feels ok getting his sole entertainment playing the dickhead to them. His good ending is actually Good, too

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That's neat. I knew about the extra area but never figured out there was a puzzle there. I guess our last friend does have more foreshadowing than I thought

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

I never take Regill on his offer. Not even because of morale reasons - it's pretty easy to have massive army morale by this point, enough so that the dip from following him will do nothing. It's because going his route requires he be in your party. Sorry Regill, you should've made better choices in your character build.

I take his offer because he's clearly correct. The crusades morale will be better in the long term when less of them die horribly by burning alive in naptha. The only call that can be made is to put your elites on taking out this threat ASAP, which means the commander.

I was able to start there several times without him in my party from what I remember, though.

And yeah, his build is crap. It's still hilarious to watch a spiky gnome run into the enemy cosplaying Darth maul though, so I like him in the party

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

What is more chippy, cheery, happy good time fun than a little Havoc? -Kane, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

It basically has. That's why the crusades have been so bad after the first one