Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Testekill posted:

[...]Irabeth is played by Lisa Ortiz [...]

I did not know that, and god drat it, I will no longer be able to not hear Lina Inverse whenever Irabeth has a line now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Same!! I thought I recognized this voice somewhere.

The question now is... Can I make a reasonable stab at creating

a) Gourry

b) Zelgadis

c) Amelia

or

d) Xellos

in this game...? Quick! To the chargen-mobile!

( Also, hi again, Cyth, I'm enjoying this LP quite a bit so far, and all the more so because you don't seem to be actively subjecting yourself to horribleness for our sake. )

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

Well, one possible set:

Gourry, human fighter, specialize in either longsword or greatsword and look for a weapon with the Brilliant Energy trait. Zelgadis, oread magus. (Not an optimal combination, but what can you do?) Amelia, human, probably an inquisitor. Could go paladin, but light/no armor seems to fit her style better. Xelloss, probably a tiefling, cleric and sorcerer with a mystic theurge prestige class.

So, here's what I've come up with...

Gourry. Human fighter, so pretty straightforward. Going with longsword ( despite it not being an actual longsword, but DnD and its derivatives have been making that mistake since forever so I'm not going on the rant that I want to go on about it ) and low int, but surprisingly high wis.

Zelgadis. Oread Spirit Hunter Shaman. Camellia's archetype works surprisingly well for a sorcerer-swordsman type. Might be desirable to dual-class him as something else later.

Amelia. Human Inquisitor/Monk dual-class to really capture that whole... thing she and Philionel has going on.

Xellos. Yeah, Tiefling Cleric/Sorcerer multiclass going into Theurge sounds about right, honestly.

e:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not having played the game I had no position in the question of whether Nenio is a likeable character or insufferable. Now I do. What an incredibly obnoxious person she's written as.

Nenio is a character-type that I usually can't stand, but for some weird reason, possibly the tone of the voice-acting, it doesn't get nearly as annoying as it otherwise would. She's still not my first choice, but she's not nearly as bad as the text alone makes her out to be, in my opinion.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

... We get mid-season re-cap episodes? Already?! Man, wonder what the animation-department blew the budget on this time? :v:

Seriously, though, it's actually a really good idea, since the story ... sprawls. Especially if you talk to everyone.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

I'm sorry for the huge block of spoilered text, but it's the only way given that I don't want to spoil anything for people who don't know what Nenio's deal is.

So, when talking about whether Nenio is asexual or neurodivergent, the other argument is that whoever the person that inhabited the body Nenio is in now was... They are quite literally dead. Now, granted that it's been ages since I did that quest so I may well be misremembering or misinterpreting, but the distinct impression I got was that whoever it was that Areshkaghal corrupted and took over... Nenio isn't her. While Nenio's clearly not a blank slate, having been 'born' with a lot of inherent knowledge and an obsession with puzzles, I've always considered her a new, distinct, unique person from whomever it was Areshkaghal consumed.

In a certain and incredibly 'technically correct' way, Nenio absolutely is asexual... But only because she's only existed for at most a couple of weeks before we run into her in the course of the game's story. Either way, in a host of ways, it makes no narrative sense for her to be interested in romance one way or the other, and before even getting close to that kind of thing, there are bigger, far more intrigueing issues to consider.

For me, at least, the far more interesting questions that Nenio raises as a character are some very deep and unsettling ones about how knowledge and memory shape personality and just what makes a person a, well... person. Is she a facet of the person who used to inhabit her body that lingered after the mind-wipe? Is she a piece of Areshkaghal that - somehow - rebelled? Is she a personality that rose spontaneously out of the accumulated knowledge that Areshkaghal collected? Or is it all of the above? Or none of the above? And how much continuity, if any, is there to the person that gave herself up to Areshkaghal in the first place? Some, clearly, since Nenio is a walking and - importantly - talking encyclopedia, but is it just raw facts or is there interpretation, judgement and values in there as well?

Does Nenio have a soul?

I honestly don't think the developers necessarily intended to write Nenio in a way that resulted in all this, and might even kind of unwittingly have stumbled into it, but I for one am very, very glad they did. Also, as already mentioned, the voice-acting goes a long, long way towards alleviating any problems I might otherwise have had with Nenio's character and personality, because on paper I should absolutely loathe her, but I... don't.

Never doing her questline again, though.

Not ever.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Ah, my favorite pint-sized martinet, Regill. Like so many others have already said, I think he's interesting as a character, but his ideology is utterly repulsive, and qualifies him to be thrown head first into a river in full armor at the earliest opportunity. The "hard men" bullshit has been gone over enough, but I honestly think that it is possible to read Regil and the Hellknights as a subversion of that whole idea; After all, everything they do in the name of being the "hard people making the tough decisions" ends up unequivocally failing spectacularly and leaving them worse off than before, as shown off in this mission and every time they show up in the story from now on.

And Regill is - apparently - the most competent guy these people have on the spot. This is literally the best the Hellknights can do, and it's an absolute shower.That, and the fact that I can then feed the bastards directly into the front-lines with the attendant casualties that implies, means that I end up rescuing Regill just about every time.

Unfortunately, for much the same reason that you can't make an anti-war movie, you can't have a character like Regill in any media without a sizeable group of the objectively worst people in the world completely missing the point and going "But he's so coooooooool/badass/willing to make the tough decisions!!"

When he's a literally a fascist gnome! He's three feet tall and wearing spiky armor! He's a fascist hedgehog! He's not cool or badass, he's sad - at best - and ridiculous at worst. No-one ought to be able to take him seriously on that basis alone, and it mystifies me that people apparently do.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 22, 2024

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Szarrukin posted:

Well, there are people who believe Super Earth from Helldivers (think Starship Troopers but even more over the top) are good guys.

I remember watching Starship Troopers in theaters when it came out and laughing my rear end off... Only to realize that quite a few people apparently didn't get the satire/point of the movie. So I am not shocked at all that some people believe Super Earth and 'Managed Democracy' ( I mean, Jesus loving Christ, there's a phrase to run the gently caress away from for a start! ) is peachy keen. Or that Regill is a cool, correct dude.

I'm just mystified as to how they get to that conclusion when Regill in particular is just so patently loving absurd.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I wager at least part of it is sincerely his voice.

Though in Regills case I suspect this is a large part of it. If he didn't have that voice, he'd be a lot more obviously ridiculous. To me it just adds to the comedy of the character.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the only setting I've ever seen tackle it in an interesting way is Exalted. short version, superhumans are real, powerful, exist in a couple of different flavors, and the history of Creation is the history of horrible superhuman tyrants being overthrown, the horrors of their rule being cast down, and then discovering that ruling over vast masses of regular mortals as a superhuman makes you start looking at the world tyranically very, very quickly.

why do the elementally-themed X-Men-level superhumans rule? they can communicate over long distances very easily, their soldiers are a match for a dozen lesser men, their sorceries more intricate and powerful than those of lesser magi, their craftsmen produce works no mortal could hope to approach let alone equal, and their diplomats can talk down the gods themselves. they cast down the horrid Anathema who ruled before. truly, no better rule than theirs could exist! and for the last six hundred years, most of the world has known which one of them is supposed to rule! the Empress, blessed be her glory, rules over about half of creation, and something like 70% of its people. she's used her superhuman talents to forge an empire that, no matter how much all its movers and shakers may wish otherwise, will fall apart without her to arbitrate disputes between its most powerful people.

the setting's "modern day" starts at "it has been five years since the last time anyone saw her. the empire would be starting to fall apart anyway. the fact that the Goku-level superhumans have started to reincarnate is honestly just salt on the wound"

welcome to what future historians are going to call the Time of Tumult, young PCs. a fair amount of the stories of this era are going to be about you. decide how they're going to go.

And also, the Goku-level superhumans coming back is the first warning that the even more ultimate horrors that they rebelled against and cast down are coming back, either from the (un)dead or from actual Hell. Which is not even getting into the weirder poo poo that's lurking out there and that will also begin to greeble their way out of the woodwork.

What makes Exalted fun, though, is that you can absolutely play it as a straight up Shonen-anime. If you remember the old "Does the game let you do The Thing" meme, Exalted answers it with "Not only can you do the thing, you can do it so well that the gods themselves sit up and take notice", and it's a perfectly valid way to play, because you're going to be facing off against antagonists at your level or entire armies.

But the best campaigns I've had in that game is from exploring how you deal with the consequences of your actions, and with a good GM, that can be intense: Okay, you've conquered this small city-state. Sure, you have the charisma and magical oomph to make people literally worship you or reduce them to a red smear on the cobbles with a gesture, but that's not going to help you keeping them fed. Or paid. Or keep order. You're going to have to make decisions on law, organization, taxes, and sure you can solve the details through your character's skills... But you, the player, will still have to design this thing. Tiny actions that you don't really think about once you've started to use your powers can have huge consequences.

It depends a lot on the GM, but honestly, if you want to have a game about the dangers of investing someone with vast magical power and letting them run free, Exalted cannot be beat, in my opinion.

ed: The best heroic fantasy setting, is, however, EarthDawn and I will die on that hill.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Always be careful being a smartass to a bard, just saying. :v:

What can I say, the pairing of Azata and bard leans towards the Tolkien-esque origins of the bard as keepers of hidden lore who sing the music of creation. I always found that a more compelling archetype than the usual ner-do-well scoundrel and minstrel.

I'm pretty sure that that Tolkien stole from was inspired heavily by old Norse and Irish myths when he came up with that idea. The Norse considered the ability to compose good verse a divine gift, magic was - as near as I can recall - most likely some sort of chant and/or dance. And Odin is, among other titles, the god of Magic and Poetry.

So the Azata/Bard pairing could be argued is doing an end-run around Tolkien and back to the good old days of "I'll sing a song to make the Fire dance and caper, and burn your loving hall down!"

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 18, 2024