Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It'll come up when we talk about combat mechanics probably, but there are many ways to manipulate your crit chance. Improved crit alone gives you a 10% chance to crit, on each of your swings, which you will have several of (ideally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've only ever played and discussed this game through the lens of mechanics optimization (as people are wont to do in PF1) so the idea of a more casual run has me pretty excited.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Camellia rules, and future fascist character also rules. No notes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My first playthrough was about 80 hours. I've seen reports of people taking as much as 200+ hours.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Story difficulty will live up to its name. Absolutely nothing will challenge you at that difficulty. Which is ok; it's called story for a reason.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The key bit for me about recruiting Wenduag here is that she is wholly unrepentant. She's reveling in what she's done. She needs some regret somewhere for a good character to latch onto. In any other game she'd be dead right here and forgotten as a starter villain.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Atheism in PF is a bit different than in real life because gods provably exist in PF. It's instead more about the belief that gods are just extraplanar creatures not worthy of any special respect. It's an interesting philosophy considering the real power most deities wield in the setting.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

While I broadly agree I did buy the Ulbrig dlc because the shifter class enabled a very specific build I wanted to play.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 23, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I give this one a pass since on Normal+ she’ll absolutely clobber you, quickly.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’ll let the lore master handle the specifics but I’ll say now I enjoy the AP explanation way more than here in game for a few reasons.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I would rate Kingmaker's alignment system about the same as Wrath's, personally. In that game though there are mixed alignment options. Like there can be lawful good options as opposed to strictly one or the other like in this game. I'm not too sure why that was changed. Owlcat's interpretation of alignment is highly...curious...at best (especially in regards to the Law/Chaos axis) and weirdly amplified in this game because of the mythic paths. Dropping out of your alignment by indulging mostly half of it is dumb but that's why god gave us scrolls of atonement. I'm glad most newer systems dropped alignment as a mechanic.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Slaan posted:

There is another one where the Lawful Good answer is roughly 'i don't like slavery, but that's your culture and law so I'll just return these slaves to you, evildoer' IIRC
They built a whole mythic path out of this, Aeon. Probably a hot take but I absolutely think it's worth experiencing as it is as marvelous as it is bewildering. When the byline says they eventually get the power to right wrongs by rewriting reality itself they aren't exaggerating; you do it multiple times to fix impossible situations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I imagine that paladins were all but outright discouraged from being played in 2e as any official method to roll one would do so rarely, they were pretty powerful, and their behavioral restrictions were not suited to players or their allies. The idea stuck and they evolved into something pretty nice by 5e though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nostalgamus posted:

lmao what the gently caress

If you don’t take sides on the law/chaos axis (because, perhaps, a lot of the law choices are ridiculous) that by definition is neutrality. That’s my justification on it. Drawbacks from the alignment chart being a circle. Buy those atonement scrolls and make any dialogue choices you want.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I checked the local priest's inventory in my game in chapter 2 and he has 3(!) atonement scrolls so you'll get access to them eventually. You aren't going to drop out of alignment this early no matter how cross purposes you get with it so it should be fine.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Grease is good. PnP alchemists can get grease as a discovery for their bombs, but I guess that didn't make it into the game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Archetypes exist basically to enable slapping the cool bits of classes onto each other without explicitly multiclassing (and typically, then multiclassing). Common ones include giving arcane casters a sorcerer/bloodrager bloodline, enabling a pet/mount, applying sneak attack unconventionally, changing the main stat of attack and AC scaling, and especially giving part of a class' unique thing to other classes (judgements, mutagens, spell lists, etc).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Camellia is very well created. She is tailor made to be repugnant and hateable and is a constant source of all sorts of discussion. To me that makes her great.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's always interesting to see other people's tolerances to different characters. Like, get Nenio away from me. I can't stand her. But Daeran can smarm around me all day.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

What is Daeran's Oracle curse? The plague one?

It's the one that staggers him in the first round of combat. Which is a pain but tolerable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can take my weapon specialization (tongi) feat from my cold dead hands. Hands that, by the way, won't be holding many tongi throughout the game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's something to be said about the satisfaction of making gear yourself and using gear that you yourself created. In PF1 though it takes feats, which really should go towards your combat prowess. On top of that, everything about crafting can be solved with money anyway.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You actually get the flail whether you do the siege or not. In fact, you get a little more material rewards for skipping the siege.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The lich mythic path is interesting, but it is by no exaggeration an evil path. You can't be a good lich here. Either you commit or wash out, perhaps into the very good legend path.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's a commentary on the subject matter. We'll see quite readily that most if not all of the checks for the rest of the game are reasonable and scale predictably.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nenio is that friend at the D&D table who is being kooky for the sake of it and for some reason the DM indulges their habit so every other encounter becomes a variation of 'I chew on the corner of the desk.' 'Okay the baron gives you a confused look and then continues his plea for you to help rescue his daughter.'

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Absolutely nothing beats defeating the enemy as quickly and efficiently as possible, and a general who can cast Fireball does it best.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Galfrey at least knows when to seize an opportunity when it arises. The repelling of the Kenabres attack created probably the only opening Mendev will ever get for a shot at Drezen as the demons attempt to regroup.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It always amused me that when you ask the opinion of your buds about whether or not to rescue the hellknights only a few of them give a response that isn't a variation of 'gently caress em'.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You might think the hellknights hold themselves to typical philosophies of DnD law like the king's word is law, but they don't. They defer to their own doctrine called the Measure and the Chain and no matter who you are if you violate it you are being Unlawful. This is basically an excuse for them to be conventionally evil without being unlawful.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Deviating from the established recipe is unlawful. Petition to add turmeric to the soup is denied.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Most of the classes and archetypes are aggressively fine and I would argue that most could cross the finish line on Core. It's just some classes and archetypes are categorically better than others and optimization is the name of the game. On lower difficulties though it's fun to play around with lesser used character concepts.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

rastilin posted:

- It's practically impossible to beat the first chapter in under 3 days if you rest at all. There's one point where I tried to rest and the minimum rest time was over a day and a half, even without trying to rest until healed. In higher difficulties you need to rest to recover spells, so it gets harder to make it in time.

Turn off recommended resting and you will always rest 8 hours. It's really easy to keep under the limit to skip the siege that way especially on difficulties under Core when the only reason you're probably resting is to clear fatigue (and you already know what order to do things without doubling back). In my most recent game I had to intentionally rest a bunch to trigger the siege because I ran out of things to do otherwise.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hulrun's paranoia isn't unfounded considering the history of Kenabres but he takes it to quite the extreme. Imagine if someone had time to tell him about the cultist den in the Shield Maze. He probably would have a heart attack.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The crusade is fighting a force well known for subterfuge and infiltration and yet they are very lax about some mysterious stranger coming into camp and asking probing questions.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you don’t do Nenio’s quests she’s just a kooky absentminded scientist. Fine, but she gets to live at camp.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Don't read too hard into Regill's mysterious rationing protocol. It's just mentioned to reinforce that he's evil. It's pretty fun to keep Regill around when your mythic path is really cross purposes with him, like Azata or Trickster. He can't stand it lmao

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

At least the devs were kind enough to leave a bunch of hooked hammers around for Regill to use.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Regill IS cool. Sorry to any lamers who think otherwise. It's good to have characters in your stories that are designed to be disliked and their flimsy arguments easy to dismantle. That makes them more interesting to me than someone like Paladin With A Non-Owlcat Idea of Lawful Good Seelah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pathfinder gnomes have a genetic reason to fulfill the wacky stereotype that gnomes are known for in DnD, and it is extremely funny in of itself that one of your party members is a joyless cold hardass gnome expressly to defy that stereotype.