Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Wendaug is way more entertaining for pretty much the entire game then Lann so that's enough justification to pick her though it's obviously flimsy from a character perspective, but eh. Double axe chuckin Wendaug is really really funny once she gets a few levels and comes fully online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Aeon rules and is probably tied for my favourite mythic path alongside Retribution Angel. Azata is probably my least favourite of the fully developed mythic paths though it’s still much better than the stragglers.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Almost every mythic theme is fantastic but Aeon is the best one just barely followed by Demon.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'll probably have a few words about this exact thing once Cythereal gets further into the story. In some ways Wrath really is a game about morality, but I do wish it looked at it through a lens more like Pillars used. Not all games can be created by Josh Sawyer, though, and I don't think it does a bad job for what it wants to be.

This is kind of what I was saying with all my blah blah blah about Rogue Trader; there's no point in setting this kind of adventure story in a peaceful area where nothing is wrong. Right next to a giant gaping hole to hell? That's where you can be a hero. And you can be a specific kind of hero in this setting, because the entire concept includes the possibility of hope and victory; Seelah isn't in there saying you're all going to fight to cover a gradual retreat or make doomed last sacrifices and Irabeth isn't ordering you to find ways for everyone to evacuate the city. The demons aren't going to inevitably eat everyone's soul like you might expect to happen in Warhammer.

(For that matter, this is also a great place to be a villain, if your tastes run that way, since there's power there to be seized.)

Yeah for what Wrath is and what I expected it’s actually really solid, I was expecting to be very bored by Angel but found it a lot of fun. It’s got nothing on say Pillars but I do find it a lot more fun to play because my brain is broken in specific ways Pathfinder 1E itches.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I don’t find power fantasy narratives interesting in most circumstances outside of funny gameplay stuff, which thankfully Wrath has got in droves. Wrath also at least doles out its power fantasies in a ton of different flavors which is a lot more fun to mess around with as a narrative even if I don’t find it that interesting beyond a surface level.

Oracle Angel my beloved.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 4, 2024

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Daeran rules, Nenio is insufferable and has the worst quest line in the game by a mile. Incredibly powerful in combat though so generally worth using.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Nenio feels like a refugee from another, significantly more Joss Whedon-y game. they can't all be hits I suppose.

Yeah this is probably a big part of why I don’t like Nenio. There’s a handful of party members I find way more boring than her Sosiel, sorta Lann but he’s a weird character who is all over the place but she’s occasionally funny, but the majority of the party in this game is excellent so her being bleh stands out a lot more.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I like Astarion more then Daeran, but a lot of that probably comes down to the incredible performance by Astarion's actor and he's probably the single best overall character in that game. Daeran's still really great and I've used them pretty heavily in every playthrough I did of Wrath except for Angel.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Demons are way more powerful then the regular people they're up against. It doesn't show much since the LP is on Story, but a lot of demons even early on can really mess you up and have a lot of dangerous abilities you need to deal with when fighting them. If it wasn't for the protagonist's presence, the city would have absolutely no chance and be wiped out.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Daeran and upcoming guy we’ll meet later are easily my favourite companions.

Cammy is very funny for the effect she has on people that think they can fix her or are shocked she’s a monster, but she’s pretty flat as a character compared to a lot of the other party outside a few cool permutations of her story. Absolute god monster in gameplay though and I took her with me to the end of the game as Trickster. Not so much Retribution Angel Demon or Aeon.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Daeran’s great and one of the most memorable and well written party members. He’s got a decent amount of depth to him, he gets along with Ember, and he’s got a good back and forth with most of the party as he can take people dunking on him as well without being insufferable about it. Being anti-Galfrey is also a strong plus for him.

Him and Ember are probably the characters I’ve brought with me the most on my runs.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

People can still discuss the stuff they find interesting since there will be a whole lot of stuff people like and want to talk about that Cythereal doesn’t. Pretty much all of my favourite stuff for the most part I expect to get skipped or acknowledged then avoided, since I’m pretty bleh on Azata as a mythic path. It’s part of why Wrath is cool is that it’s got a broad range of interesting content you actively pick and choose what you want to engage with and it’s hard to do that and actually succeed.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

You also don’t really need a dedicated healer? It’s a nice thing in between fights to heal up but you’re not under much time pressure in this game outside of a few specific bits and actions in combat are usually better used to disable or kill enemies.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Capfalcon posted:

Honestly, I think her "No one is going to save us, so time to roll up our sleeves and do it ourselves" attitude is an interesting twist on her otherwise waif-ish goody two shoes nature.

She's also got a pretty accurate view of D&D deities being perfectly happy to let mortals do the work with a bit of cheerleading from the sidelines.

This is what actually makes me like Ember, it's an important additional layer to the character that pulls a lot of weight in making her not feel boring.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Disco Elysium is still one of the best narratives in the history of video games so I appreciate any reason to think about it.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I like WotR a lot but it's not even remotely on the same level of writing or narrative quality as Disco. But this isn't the thread to really dig into that.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Trickster is pretty hit or miss for the narrative, there's some stuff that's really funny and some of the payoffs particularly the ending are excellent, but there's some stuff that falls flat. I still prefer it to Azata overall and it was a fun choice for my first playthrough. It's also insanely fun to play mechanically as it's a contender for strongest mythic path for martial classes and has a few variant builds that are hysterically powerful. Persuasion and Mobility are really goofy with the right builds.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I enjoyed Trickster as my first run, you just need to be prepared for the fact that your character is going to lean much harder into the Chaotic element of your alignment. You are a weird supernatural force of disorder and status quo upheaval with all that entails rather then any sort of good guy who does a funny trick every once in a while.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Aeon>Angel>Trickster>Lich>Azata=Demon for me. They’re all better than the late game paths by a noticeable margin, though there’s a decent permutation for Demon that requires a lategame path.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 18, 2024

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I mean becoming a Lich isn’t a weapon like a sword or basic spell like magic missile. You are intentionally embracing and wielding one of the most evil cosmic forces in the universe. You can mitigate it to a degree, but if you want that full power you have to dive into it.

the actual problem with Lich route is how much you are forced to be a kiss rear end.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Slaan posted:

Nothing makes undeath inherently evil

Not the case in the Pathfinder setting unfortunately.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean, you absolutely can play off your lich as someone who is tempted into dark powers for a greater good, believing they're doing this for the aforementioned reasons of using the dead to serve against a greater evil. It's a legitimate path in the game.

It's just that, by the end of the game, you've almost certainly lost those pretenses, because every step into more power is also a step into greater profane evils to get that power. No matter how good your initial reasons are, no matter how much you tell yourself that you're doing this to stop the demons, you're stlil doing increasingly horrible things to achieve more and more personal power, and that inevitably tips you over. The more time you spend around other slavering ghouls and slaves to your will, the more the living start to look like so much unused meat.

In other words, the Lich has two possible narratives - the full skeletor, and the descent and temptation into evil. There is no path where you remain a good person. Good people don't butcher the innocent and enslave their souls, regardless of their good intentions.

Yeah this is a better worded way to put it then I could do. Lich is about one of two narratives, and if you don't want to engage with those narratives it's not a path you want to play. There isn't a story there for the special hero who can become a Lich with all the perks and none of the downsides.

Demon into Legend is the closest you can get to that sort of narrative and is actually pretty cool to do, though it still requires you to make the Legend choice which urgh.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Aeon is a lot of fun because it’s not so much about being Judge Dredd as much as it is being an alien cosmic entity.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah my only actual gripe with Aeon is that it feels pretty weak compared to most of its competition. Angel is death incarnate with a merged spell book and can curbstomp Core into the ground with zero trouble, Lich is the same way. Trickster on a martial can tear basically anything apart in a single round of combat and Demon can stack enough bonuses if you know what you’re doing to alpha strike most things in a single turn. Aeon’s stuff is neat and flavourful but has nowhere near the oomph.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 21, 2024

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Even on Angel I hung onto it if I recall because lol galfrey

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Galfrey is a good character but also she needs to get dunked on real hard, even as an Angel.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

they did improve on this in Rogue Trader. if you want to start a romance you've got to positively pursue them, and in several cases pursuing too aggressively is going to immediately stop the whole show

shout outs to the Subtext Is For Cowards romance with the dedicated aristocrat character, a nightmarishly inbred mutant who can only handle interacting with other people via carefully memorized protocol. she is personally sweet, shy, and painfully sheltered, and has the tongues of her servants removed because one of her books says that's the best way to prevent them from giving her offense. if at any point you stray from the How To Flirt As A 40K Aristocrat manual (which you find, in-game) read she freaks out and shuts the whole thing down.

very much prefer that approach to 'you have said enough nice things to me, want to gently caress'

This sounds rad, I need to pick up Rogue Trader at some point

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Laezal rules and is probably one of my favourite characters in the entire genre. The speedrun was extra funny since it’s not really out of character for her either.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I have never done nenios quest and never will. I can deal with all their stuff regarding combat but nenios quest is where I finally drew the line

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

God I miss Alpha Protocol.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Angel is one of the most powerful Mythics and Oracle Angel in particular is a contender for the strongest class in the entire game. You also don’t need to be pro Galfrey or Mendev to play an Angel in character, I didn’t give a poo poo about either and the narrative still functioned perfectly fine.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I just find her obnoxious so I don't want to use her when I've got several characters to use I actually like.

I still usually use her anyway to a degree because she casts Save or Dies real good.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Regill rules and is very fun. He is easily one of the most memorable party members in the game, probably the most memorable for a lot of people. He is also a horrible person.

His build would be pretty horrible most of the time, but you can just slam the rest of his levels into straight Fighter and the game has a fairly large number of gnome hooked hammers clearly made for him to make his build function. He won't be able to do anything but blend whatever the closest target is, but if built properly he will blend through anything he gets to full round attack pretty much as hard and efficiently as you possibly can without Mythic Paths even on Core.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I find Seelah incredibly boring while Regill is really interesting despite being an infinitely worse person.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Pun Pun is hilarious but it's basically purely a thought experiment.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Pillars Paladins are by far the best Paladins I’ve seen in a D&D like and while 5th are good I’m still usually gonna be disappointed by comparison.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Sosiel can be a little boring, but he has an interesting character arc and some variety into how he can turn out. He’s not up with the top dogs but I like him a lot more then say Seelah or Lann.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Arue's alright. She's not as interesting as her inspiration but that's a pretty massive bar to reach. She has a really, really good bit of content in a very specific path route. Demon to Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I don't really see the comparisons between Arue and Karlach at all. Granted I also like Karlach way, way more then Arue.

Arue does get her strong narrative moments though if you take specific Mythic paths and choices.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 16, 2024