Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Class: Bard
Race: LPer's Choice
Deity: Nethys
Name: LPer's Choice

Compulsively curious and it's about to be everybody's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Cythereal posted:

I'm also not taking any input on how to RP unless I specifically ask for it. I will play and write as I see fit.

Oh I just figure if there are deity dialogue choices, then picking the "mad god" of knowledge will provide those kinds of options. More descriptive of how I imagine the game will present things. Not backseating any further than that.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kanthulhu posted:

Are pathfinder demons immune to crits? This could make a crit focused build less appealing

Not in general, though it's possible some types or powerful individuals might? To my knowledge, they actually made fewer creature types immune to crits when making PF1e.

edit: whoops, sorry if that was overstepping; didn't refresh before posting

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

SettingSun posted:

I've only ever played and discussed this game through the lens of mechanics optimization (as people are wont to do in PF1) so the idea of a more casual run has me pretty excited.

Mechanics are also extremely safe to discuss without worrying about spoiling plot stuff. Or at least not having to spend half an hour discussing the events that lead up to the one event you actually want to talk about, if describing it to someone who hasn't played yet. Most of the target audience knows at least some of the mechanics-speak.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

achtungnight posted:

I’m sure an insurance company in a demon war zone would either be charging enormous rates or bankrupt due to excessive claims. Possibly both.

They'll pay out for weaker demons but tend to have an "act of demon god" clause to avoid paying claims, and will get very argumentative about what doesn't count.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Poor Staunton. He hosed up badly, yeah, but really just the once. He needs to join a player character and go gently caress up a lot more but have it turn out technically for the better.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

RelentlessImp posted:

Decade. Singular. Nobody even bothered trying to remove racism from the mainline D&D settings until fairly recently. And of course you're always going to have the neckbeards and grognards screaming about how they want real-world politics kept out of their tabletop gaming, even when those settings involve expies of real-world ethnic groups and include all the stereotypes and racism (see: Greyhawk's Rhennee, Forgotten Realms' Gur, Eberron's Shifters, Golarion's Varisians) and never see the irony in their screaming.

Eberron is 20 years old this year and a significant part of it was removing racism, starting with the first step of decoupling alignment from race. They didn't succeed perfectly, but there's a lot of actual work done in it to accomplish that goal. Hell, back in the 90s, Greyhawk introduced the Scarlet Brotherhood whose whole idea is they were literal no-poo poo human white supremacists who were also incredibly vile villains. Planescape loved using the tieflings and to a lesser extent the aasimar to have a go at how racism creates criminality and privilege permits people to get away with poo poo. D&D isn't some monolith and it does have a history of its writers trying to tackle racism to varying levels of competence and accomplishment.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Szarrukin posted:

I love Ember. She's the ultimate opposite of your average Avellone NPC - instead of wise, cynical, "there's no difference between good and evil" old woman we've got naive, purehearted, idealist child (I guess? I do not remember her age, she's either a child or acts like one). It's not really a spoiler, but she's basically Carrot from Terry Pratchett books and it will soon become clear why.

One of the few things I'll go to bat for Avellone over at this point is that I really think those characters are meant to be full of poo poo and stood up to, to make you take a stance on something. You have to oppose Kreia and Ulysses, you can make Durance shut the gently caress up. His writing feels often reactionary in the literal sense to me, in that he's writing specifically in reaction to existing stuff in RPGs and nerd media, and I think the Cynical Avellone rear end in a top hat is a reaction to how sometimes the optimal route for things is "tell NPCs what they want to hear." The CAA is usually written to be not so easily solved, someone you don't roll over for just for a benefit. As with a lot of his stuff, though, the best take was in Planescape: Torment with Ravel Puzzlewell, who literally couldn't be told what she wanted to hear except by you because your answer is the only one she wants. And getting what she wants isn't really all that good for her either. Most of them after that aren't nearly as well realized about that point.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

A Hell invasion would still go better for the Hells and worse for Kenabres than this is going, however. For all that there are potentially infinite demons, you've got to get enough of them to give a drat for that infinity to matter.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I think most of the party members in PS:T had some item you couldn't take away from them. Some were basic weapons you could replace with better weapons (like Morte's teeth) but never remove to get rid of, some were basic armor you could replace in similar fashion (Annah), some just would not let you remove something but might have other ways to upgrade it if it was major gear (Dak'kon's sword, Nordom's crossbows). Grace would chide you for trying to do anything with her diary, but yeah it otherwise didn't take up an equip slot. Can't recall if Vhailor and Ignus had much of anything like that because I basically never used them.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

berryjon posted:

This talk of exotic weapons reminds me of Planescape Torment, where the most powerful weapon on the game was a Sledgehammer and I'm pretty sure that there were no swords for the Nameless one to actually use. More systems should embrace the absurdity and hilarity of multi-cultural weapons, and I'm glad that this game does, even just a little.

I don't know about most powerful but my favorite was a dagger that was actually a gnarled, gross, super-long old fingernail from a night hag. I didn't want to waste my spells on the random enemies of the final dungeon so with its fast attack speed even as a mage I just blendered them with it. Along with stuff like the mummified arm you could use as a club, PS:T had some good-rear end weird weapons.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

There's a joke about the "Inverse Ninja Rule" in here where a few demons (like Minagho and/or Deskari) pulled off something big but a horde of them turns into a farce. But really where one to three nakedly self-interested assholes can be a great danger, that kind of thing doesn't scale up as well when everyone is like that. Normal people can be tricked and convinced into going along with such a person and supporting them while doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to normalize it and the idea that they're contributing to something greater. If it turns into Oops, All Bastards it gets incredibly fractious very fast. They'll do a lot of terrible things before falling apart, but demons as the literal incarnations of this kind of poo poo means that they are, top to bottom, always on the same level of in-fighting that you get in autocratic ruling parties the instant two leaders disagree on the slightest thing.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Gun Jam posted:

Similar names, similar thing they want...
What's the difference between them? A daemon will honour a bargain if it causes pain, a demon can't honour one to save it's life?

Not a bad way to summarize it, really. Daemons came originally out of the "need" for a type of fiend for each of the evil alignments in D&D, and when D&D was trying to distance itself from terms like demons and devils (tanar'ri and baatezu), the daemons got called yugoloths. The big deal then was that they were the ultimate mercenaries in the forever war between demon and devil, constantly taking contracts and manipulating events to make sure they kept profiting eternally while also pursuing their own schemes. Everyone knew they'd betray you if they saw advantage in it, but also could not entirely do without them, either.

Their desire to destroy everything is an active principle more than the demons' tendency to break everything just because. A premeditated murder versus a crime of passion. If I recall, it came from the early days of D&D when Gygax wrote in a god of entropy and omnicide, Tharizdun, and attached the daemons to him so he had minions with a positive desire to see his goals to fruition rather than just dupes or cowed slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

glwgameplayer posted:

This is something that I feel like transcends any specific version of the game, and just kind of permeates all of DnD/Pathfinder. Some damage types are just bad, because everything and their mother resists it.

The classic example of this is poison. Poison is the worst damage type, because constructs, undead, and plenty of high-level monsters of any type are straight-up immune to poison. Most of this is logical, an iron golem won't care if it gets a little bit of wolfsbane between its joints and skeletons don't even have blood or any organs for the poison to target. Even some humanoids resist poison! Dwarves most famously.

Fire, Cold, and Lighting are all much better but still tend to be resisted quite frequently. It usually seems to push spellcasters to either diversify their spell list with alternate damage types or get some kind of resistance/immunity piercing feature. Which is why people want Ascendant Element so much

Yeah, this was an issue when I was trying to get a 5e game together recently. Someone had wanted to play Descent Into Avernus as their introductory campaign but so much of it is against devils and other enemies with major elemental immunities resistances that it was going to shut down whole classes of spells and abilities before halfway through the campaign. I don't hate it, as such, but it's absolutely an issue that players really need to be informed about when doing a tabletop game or a video game where those immunities are common and character respec'ing isn't.