Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Owlcat games are this kind of games that I usually bitch about and still I like to play from time to time.

I absolutely loving hate almost everything in Owlcat's game design. I hate that game throws at us 2137 stat inflated trashmobs at every step (one of endgame enemies - not a boss - has 74 armor class. I hate how it has bajilion classes but about 10% is valid, most of them is mediocre at best and bait at worst - special prize goes to class focused on poison in game where most enemies is resistant or immune to poison. I hate how on difficulties higher than easy you need to spam buffs before every fight. I hate how leveling is a chore. I hate crusader mode. I'm glad Cythereal plays on easy mode, because this game is simply unfun on higher difficulty levels.

That being said, WotR has absolutely amazing soundtrack, LGBT themes (including rare asexual representation - this setting literally has a nonbinary deity of breaking gender stereotypes), interesting NPCs, mythic routes are great and it's the only cRPG I know where "evil route" isn't just "good route but you lose 75% of game content in exchange for edgy dialogue lines and 1 or 2 mediocre NPCs" (I'm looking at you, Baldur's Gate!). It is one of these games where I'm not ashamed of simply cheating because it is necessary to make this game fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
With one being noticeably half-baked compared to the rest.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Boksi posted:

Oh boy, Pathfinder WotR. A system full of absolute rubbish game design, coupled with scenario and encounter design that exacerbates those issues instead of trying to ameliorate them. I could go on for paragraphs about how bad the game design is. I also have put several hundred hours into this game and I will probably put more time into it sooner or later because I'm a sucker for all that crunch despite thinking it's bad design, and it doesn't hurt that the story is power fantasy done well :allears:

Yeah, for all its disadvantages, WotR really did power fantasy well. I'm so glad Cyth is playing Azata, because That One Fight combined with Azata music theme was one of the best experiences I had in entire game.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Class: Crossblooded Sorcerer (Black Dragon)
Race: Aasimar
Deity: Desna
Name: Katarina Turan

Like mothers, like daughter.

Isn't that basically spoiler without context?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Are you ready for the funniest poo poo in the world: 78 AC monsters?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Is there any Aztec/Maya/Inca inspired nation in Pathfinder? Or at least obligatory mashup of all three? I thought Azlanti might be one (it sounds vaguely like Aztlan, legendary homeland of Aztecs), but it turned out to be Totally Not Atlantis.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

BisbyWorl posted:

Things like decapitating a dragon in a single strike, looks like.

And Deskari scythe isn't even the best in the game.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
If there is anything I absolutely love in Pathfinder: WotR, it's mythic themes. Rule of thumb is "if your mythic class name starts with "A", it has absolutely perfect theme".

Oh, Cammy. The good thing about her is that she is absolutely perfect deconstruction of "I can fix her" trope. The bad thing about her is that aforementioned deconstruction is the only good thing about her. I really don't like "sexy, sadistic evil female NPC" trope in cRPGs but at least she's not a drow.

As for Lann mistaking basic human decency with flirting, while I generally consider Baldur's Gate 3 far better game, literally every joinable NPC there has a similar problem, jumping on my asexual rear end literally after exchanging two banters.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Gun Jam posted:

People of her house carry lead sheets to prove their noblehood.

Seelah first contact with Cammy be like:

quote:

Then there's the people for whom Cam-Cam belongs in the "no fix needed" category.

This game has literal fascist as joinable NPC and people somehow love him.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Seelah, together with OOTS paladins other than Miko, is a great example of "how to write paladins right".

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Lord Koth posted:

Meanwhile, True Aeon is after EVERY lawbreaker (whether of cosmic or mortal ones) and can see transgressions just by looking at you. Of course she's running the hell away from that.

Aeon is the most inconsistent mythic path when it comes to ideology and targets, but I'll go back to it when Cythereal actually reaches the beginning of Aeon path.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

In general, situational trap choices like you mention are anything that applies to anything else. Case in point, the Cheliaxian Diabloist background, which gives a +4 AC against devils. Not demons, devils.

At least it's a background. There are entire subclasses that are borderline useless like Defender of the True World, who has bonuses against fey, which would be very useful in Kingmaker but not here.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
We didn't even left our first dungeon and already we can see problems with Owlcat game design - you have multiple choices when it comes to classes, skills and equipment but some of them are clearly "wrong" and Owlcat keeps them being wrong by updates like another nerf to armor. (this isn't going to be discussion about meta, just me complaining over Owlcat idea of what constitutes a fun gameplay.)

Cythereal posted:

there's at least one ending to the game, in fact, where they get married.

Is it Trickster ending? Because it sounds like Trickster ending.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Atheist characters have a hilarious reaction with certain demon.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Vargatron posted:

One thing to note is that atheism in Pathfinder doesn't mean "I don't believe in the gods", it's just that you don't pay respect to or worship any gods. This has Consequences after you die, depending on how you live your life.

Does Pathfinder has its own Wall of the Faithless?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, I wish there were couples like that in your PC group; two people who were genuinely devoted to each other, and while they can be friendly with the PC, there's nothing sexual that's gonna happen between them (looking askance at you, Octavia and Regongar).

God, yes. I am tired of "every NPC in the party immediately falls in love and/or wants to have sex with PC" (looking at you Baldur's Gate 3). For once I want them to fall in love with each other and still being friends with PC.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

Personally, what really gets my goat with unwinnable boss fights is when you still need to 'win' a fight designed to be challenging but then the boss yells ENOUGH! and then you lose in the cutscene, but you also just plain lose and have to start over if you dare lose before the appointed moment. Looking at you, Final Fantasy 14. And especially don't insult my intelligence and waste my time if you send me into a fight with the dude all over the marketing for the game when the story has clearly just begun. And especially especially don't then make me do it again two levels later when the story is clearly nowhere near over, playing out exactly the same way to exactly the same result.

Yes, I didn't liked Zenos fights too.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

Paladins, at least how I play them, have a real problem with this because [Lawful] options often read like [Lawful Neutral] or [Lawful Evil] to me.

Owlcat understanding of "lawful" is basically "fascist". Not going to talk about That One Character yet, but my "favourite" part was one encounter in Kingmaker where "I'm going to kill you because you are greenskin" dialogue option was chaotic evil and "I'm going to kill you because as greenskins you are inherently evil" was lawful good option. Then I found out they are Russian developers. Make of it what you will.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Sure, but Pathfinder games are one of the worst offenders when it comes to alignment in vidya games.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I believe Aeon path had at least two writers with entirely different idea what Aeon is supposed to be. And they didn't talked to each other.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

"maybe lawful good paladins wouldn't be allowed to kill (minority-coded) goblin babies"

Order of the Stick has one of the best paladins (and one the very best deconstruction of paladin) in D&D related media.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I love Ember. She's the ultimate opposite of your average Avellone NPC - instead of wise, cynical, "there's no difference between good and evil" old woman we've got naive, purehearted, idealist child (I guess? I do not remember her age, she's either a child or acts like one). It's not really a spoiler, but she's basically Carrot from Terry Pratchett books and it will soon become clear why.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Have I mentioned that mythic path themes are absolutely beautiful? Aeon theme is my second favourite, paired with Angel and right after Azata.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I have exactly zero sympathy for someone who's first reaction for girl having her hands permanently scarred while trying to save her father from burning alive on a stake is "surely it was with good reason". He's no different than Warhammer 40k inquisitors in more "serious" 40k materials (in contrast to "my head hurts, EXTERMINATUS EVERYTHING IN ENTIRE SECTOR" obvious pastiche part of 40k) and the only slightly redeeming thing about him I can think of is that some of our party members are even worse.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

I on the other hand enjoy Wrath but extremely do not like Pillars of Eternity. I looked into it, researched the game, and concluded that the story and setting do not appeal to me.

I am LPing Wrath of the Righteous because my power fantasy is to be a good person making the world a better place while playing a gay lady with a kind-hearted girlfriend and Wrath of the Righteous says sure thing, right this way. No hard work to achieve a 'golden' ending, no trap choices, just a simple and enjoyable story for the most part.

That desire - 'my power fantasy is to be a good person making the world a better place while playing a gay lady with a kind-hearted girlfriend' - is shockingly hard to come by in gaming.

If there is one thing Wrath of the Righteous does perfectly, it is providing so many flavours of power fantasy. You want to be gay heroine who saves the world with rainbow and unicorns? Done. You want to be THE LAW? Done. You want to be "I can fix not only her, but EVERYONE"? Done and done. Wanna be angel of righteous fury, wreaking havoc over evil? Say no more. Or perhaps you just want to see the world burn? Sure, why not, what kind of destruction do you prefer?

edit: or perhaps you are tired of cliches and want to utterly destroy the fourth wall?. Well, do I have an option just for you!

Szarrukin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 4, 2024

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

I'm told there actually is a mod to make Nenio a romance option!

With Nenio being one of two explicitly asexual characters it feels kinda "erasure-y". Also I hope you are NOT going to do Nenio personal quest, because nobody deserves such suffering.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

Daeran is in fact a piece of poo poo and the game makes no bones about it.

Which is the main reason I like him as a character (I personally prefer him over Astarion from BG3). If they tried to justify his behaviour, give him some redemption arc, suggest that he has a heart of gold hidden somewhere deep, I would dislike it, but no, he's a dick, he knows it, he embraces it and game does not pretend otherwise. I think the only person he's nice for is Ember.

achtungnight posted:

I personally don’t see Nenio as asexual, just not attracted to the player. But others are free to indulge their own preferences, I suppose.

I could swear that during one of her personal quests she states that she sees intercourse purely as a scientific matter and nothing else.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Vivisectionist exist mostly for multiclassing and meta builds, to the point that "dip Vivi" is a meme in Owlcat fanbase.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Going back to demons I think that they, much like some real world invaders, might be incompetent and ridiculously stupid, but they simply outnumber humans by order of magnitude and can drown them in corpses.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
To be fair, significance of torture dungeon in Horgus's mansion totally went over my head, because y'know, all nobles are poo poo and "there's dedicated torture dungeon in noble mansion" was about as surprising as "water is wet".

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

RevolverDivider posted:

Cammy is very funny for the effect she has on people that think they can fix her or are shocked she’s a monster, but she’s pretty flat as a character compared to a lot of the other party outside a few cool permutations of her story.

This. The "I can fix her" deconstruction is very interesting on first playthrough, but it's the only interesting thing about her. Daeran did the whole "I am a sociopathic rear end in a top hat and I love it, you are not going to change me" thing much better.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Poil posted:

Is "fixing" companions something that's common in rpg's? I can barely think of any examples, but there are plenty of games I haven't played.

Mass Effect 2 is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

I also have to confess that I didn't actually hate Aerie either as a character or a party member. Yes, this is mildly blasphemous.

Massive hateboner community had on Aerie is still a mystery for me.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Lord Koth posted:

Also, it'd be nice if we could leave the sexism at the door. The "girls love bad boys (and want to fix them)" is a ludicrously common trope in all sorts of media.

I have to admit that Mass Effect went for equality and had similar amount of girls and boys requiring fix from Shepard.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

achtungnight posted:

I don’t think you get what I’m saying, Professor. It’s not the “you can’t fix this character and that’s great” mentality I don’t understand. It’s the whole “Iago did nothing wrong.” “Scar for President!” “Camellia lover for life.” mentality. That’s what I don’t understand. These characters absolutely did messed up stuff. They should not be welcomed.

Character can do messed up stuff and still be likeable as a well created character. The point is that, unlike Daeran and That Other Evil NPC, Camellia is not a well created character.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

"fixing" Cammy would not be eliminating her murderhobo-ness, but diverting it towards more acceptable targets

Camelia Morgan.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
It does not need to be named "Amulet Of Hiding Alignment", just set her alignment to whatever and give an amulet that cannot be removed "because it is cursed/family heirloom/whatever"

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

berryjon posted:

Yes, but Minsc doesn't want to lose his Miniature Giant Space Hamster, which is perfectly normal and fine. I think Annah and Fall-From-Grace also had stuff they couldn't remove, but I can't remember.

Edwin had irremovable amulet that did exactly nothing allowed him to cast two additional spells per spell level. Fall-From-Grace had her diary, but it did not take any item slot.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

CommissarMega posted:

I can't believe I missed that :smithicide: Again, I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to be a rape apologist (which I will admit I was because I'm an idiot who can't read).

It's a video game, you are not rape apologist just because you like a piece of digital code more than another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Daeran was never supposed to be a good guy.