Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Extra Trivia - Feb 16-18

Have you, for some hosed up and inane reason, thought to yourself "54 hours of trivia? Nah, I need more." Well, a few of us have signed up to play in a different contest (with sorta similar rules to the April one). We've only been doing it for a couple of years, but it's a crapton of fun.

Key things about this contest:

• It runs from Friday the 16th at 5 PM (CST) to Sunday at 7 PM. It also breaks for a few hours at night, but they give these homework style projects to do over those. Last year they had us do this crime history matching worksheet, and then do a bunch of weird math.
  • 9 questions per hour, with questions being open for varying amounts of time, and up to 4(!) questions being open at the same time
  • Unlimited guesses for questions, yes we're actually allowed to try again. We've gotten more than a few answers just by spamming the phones...
  • Speed rounds are 18 questions and usually have an audio element to them (e.g. "Who's talking in this 1 second soundbite?")

Come hang out next weekend and play some trivia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

You might be better at it than you know. Every year there's first timers who don't think they'll help at all, then they shock themselves and sometimes pull in hundreds of points all on their own.

BUT there's many other things you can do besides find answers. Like, I've been doing this for long enough that I can probably come up with a good amount of answers on time (I hope, but I might just be coping). But there's 100 other people in the channel who are a LOT better at it than me, so I mostly do other stuff. It's mentioned a little in the OP, but a few things you can do are: transcribing questions, identifying music snippets, verifying answers (this is big, we get a LOT of stuff coming in and we need people to check if they're promising or not), or calling answers in. There's quite a bit more than that too, you'd be surprised.

Drunk Badger posted:

For example, come join me on the phones so I'm not spending 24 hours of my weekend talking to people!
I still haven't gotten over how multiple operators last year asked me if I was a solo team...

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Some Guy TT posted:

Who should I contact about trying to be a part of the on the ground team? How big is it usually, and where do they stay? I might actually be able to come up to Stevens Point this year (I've only ever done the IRC chat in the past), but I need a bit more information than can be reasonably expected from a public OP to figure out how feasible this is.

Hey, we do a fairly big airbnb on Main Street. We're actually a bit light on regulars this year, so we should have room (I think). PM totalnewbie (here or on discord, same name), he's in charge of logistics so he'd know for sure.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Propaganda Machine posted:

That is something I can do! I'm sure I'll have some scheduling restrictions but we can work out something tentative, maybe split third shifts and beyond that Saturday daytime would probably be my easiest contribution.

He was talking about the contest from last weekend, where we only had 3 people calling stuff in for the entire 50 hours. For April we'll have a signup sheet.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

I'd make that my new title line but :effort:

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Small discord leak: someone was closing their house during trivia and got the buyers to reschedule the date to a week later. So...what's YOUR excuse?

Blackajack fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 19, 2024

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Official merch is up. They still aren't shipping, so if you order anything and are out of town, I'll pick it up and get it to you (once I get up there). Just DM me.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

HELLO WE HAVE PICTURES :getin:

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

WIFERABIT WITH THE FIRST 500 POINTER IN TEAM HISTORY

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Nobody's denying that discord has its uses. It's our primary way of staying in contact through the rest of the year. But it's not for trivia. The biggest reason imo is all our stuff is built to be used in IRC. To reiterate ra, porting all of it would take a ton of work, more than the people who work on it need or want to spend on it.

All of the reasons are very valid though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Speaking of phone team, we hit (I think) a new record of 91 calls for one question. Plus we kept the no double call streak alive!

We had a BUSY phonebank this time around.