Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

classical gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I also really enjoy original solo instrumental mallet performance (primarily vibraphone) but there is shockingly little recorded material available. I'm talking just mallet instruments, no piano accompaniment, no strings, no bongos, nothing else. Not that that's strictly "classical" per se, but then again neither are Debussy or Chopin if you want to get technical. I made my own spotify playlist a couple years ago with everything I could find that was even remotely in the ballpark and it was just a few minutes shy of 7 hours with a lot of caveat stuff that had accompaniments I wasn't entirely enthralled about. I should probably have another go at making that same playlist again though to see what's become newly available since then. :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2Sti1Xx5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0qffO4dF0o

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I play the sax too op! Jazz though, mostly. And baritone/euphonium(I know, sacrilege) and can say I listen to a lot of that music which is often classical. A handful of symphonies I REALLY enjoy I'll listen to every now and then. Saw the Columbus SO do The Planets, a favorite. I mainly listen to EDM 90% of the time though

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

XYZAB posted:

IIRC I scored like 30GB of ratio ripping the top one for a What.CD bounty like 14 years ago from a copy in a local library, so when I saw a copy at Value Village a couple months ago in mint condition for $1.00 I couldn't pass it up.

Aside from that I'm partial to Herb V Karajan and have his version of Holst's Planets Suite on Decca, which is dope as hell in its original pressing midcentury album artwork.

When I die I want Jupiter played at my funeral.

Missed this reply. high five, :same:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I've often pondered the relationship between Ravel's Bolero and Ravel's progressive neuro-degenerative brain disorder that resulted in his death after watching this Nova documentary about it that I can only find this clip of here. I would urge anyone reading this to find it as it's very much worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT2hV8zh_7Y

Again, the pedant in me has to qualify that Ravel isn't technically classical music, as he was a 20th century composer, but I feel the above worth mentioning in this thread because I will never not listen to Bolero if it presents itself.

e: ^^^ :hfive:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The definition of classical music is vague as hell anyway, given that a lot of the music self-identifying classical musicians play is from the romantic era, or baroque, along with classical and neoclassical/contemporary classical. Classical music just refers broadly to an orchestra based arrangement or a smaller arrangement of traditional orchestral instruments, playing in the style of.

It's kind of like how "classic rock" is a term for what people used to insist on a million different genre names for (and some still do).

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
That's very interesting XYZAB. Somewhat related to that, I've found that Schumann can be unsettling to me, and I think that it's related to his very likely bipolar disorder. Almost like my brain starts churning like Schumann's brain a bit.

syntaxfunction posted:

The definition of classical music
Yeah I feel like there's no good solution to it and it's best to just call it classical music. Art music doesn't work, European tradition art music doesn't work, it's the least bad term available.

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 11, 2024

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad listens to classical music exclusively. And when I say "exclusively" I mean he literally listens to no other kind of music besides classical.

He knows nothing about any other kind of music or even the names of any modern musicians. You mention any name or song title more recent than Carmina Burana, he doesn't know what it is. And even Carmina Burana is a coinflip.

You have no idea how growing up with a man like that as a parent has hosed with my brain.

Did you listen to other music growing up, or was it forbidden in the house? What does your dad say or so if he hears contemporary music on a radio, etc? Does your mom have weird music habits? Siblings?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Nooner posted:

Sometimes when you're driving through the middle of nowhere and you can get lucky and find classic music in between all the country and the yellin preacher guys on the radio, that's usually when I listen to it

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I grew up on rock during the 70's and pop in the 80's. Classical is sometimes a nice break. When I'm working it's nice to have one long uninterrupted piece of music rather than a change of direction and mood every three minutes. Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Dubussy are all pretty cool.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

syntaxfunction posted:

The definition of classical music is vague as hell anyway, given that a lot of the music self-identifying classical musicians play is from the romantic era, or baroque, along with classical and neoclassical/contemporary classical. Classical music just refers broadly to an orchestra based arrangement or a smaller arrangement of traditional orchestral instruments, playing in the style of.

In popular lexicon, yes, “classical” music is a catch-all phrase to denote exactly what you’ve described here. However, I decided it would be a great idea* to get a bachelor of music degree to tell you that, apart from the popular lexical usage and in the context of formal study, classical music has a relatively set definition and is inclusive of something like the width and breadth of the European musical envelope of 18th Century and then a little bit more until Beethoven died, and then other compositional styles break off and develop their own lineages from there, but unless you know why it’s different then it might as well all be called classical music. I exist in a state of knowing but not knowing if the person I’m talking to knows or cares. I also wish I did not know or care.

*It was decidedly not a great idea, and I would not recommend it.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Bach, Vivaldi, Ludwig Van, all that poo poo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I miss the local radio station that would play classical music. Wasn't a listen to all the time station but god drat it would hit the spot sometimes.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
I don't listen to it much, but I enjoy it. I got into it when working at a classical record store as one of the cute college boys the opera queens could flirt with. I mostly like baroque and the basic Mozart and Beethoven and also some weird 20th century stuff. I listened to Terry Riley's "In C" daily during the height of lockdown.

In general, nobody listens to classical anymore. I know a couple of people who work in the industry and they say the audiences have largely disappeared over the past 20 years. Even as somebody who enjoys it, I have never enjoyed it enough to pay 50 bucks to see the orchestra.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
I lived with a musician six years ago who listened to much classical music, as well as various other genres.

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Listening to Saint-Saëns Carnaval des Animaux or Shostakovich fifth symphony makes me regain my sanity after another stressful day at work.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I sometimes listen to classicfm.com at the office.

I do have a Sirius/XM sub so I should try finding a commercial-free classical station there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yes, OP.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

XYZAB posted:

In popular lexicon, yes, “classical” music is a catch-all phrase to denote exactly what you’ve described here. However, I decided it would be a great idea* to get a bachelor of music degree to tell you that, apart from the popular lexical usage and in the context of formal study, classical music has a relatively set definition and is inclusive of something like the width and breadth of the European musical envelope of 18th Century and then a little bit more until Beethoven died, and then other compositional styles break off and develop their own lineages from there, but unless you know why it’s different then it might as well all be called classical music. I exist in a state of knowing but not knowing if the person I’m talking to knows or cares. I also wish I did not know or care.

*It was decidedly not a great idea, and I would not recommend it.

I luckily didn't waste my time with a music degree (just a maths and physics degree that has been no use lol) but yeah, it's the weird thing of Classical is both a strict term denoting an era and specific composers, as well as a stylistic form of composition, but also it means "all old music".

And let's face it, when fans of classical music mean "all the old stuff" no one really wants to be the rear end in a top hat going "um, actually, Adagio for Strings was well after the classical era" any more than anyone wants to here someone argue about what genre Guns n Roses technically are lol

Which I guess is also funny that there's a tonne of great neoclassical composers but if you look at any orchestra performances most of them are the same, like, twenty dudes from the 1700-1800s. Like loads of amazing pieces from that time, but there's also things being done now that kind of gets swept aside.

PS orchestra peeps hate being asked what covers they do and it is very funny.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
XYZAB already covered Holst' Planets, so thread is good

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

It's kind of like how "classic rock" is a term for what people used to insist on a million different genre names for (and some still do).

XYZAB posted:

In popular lexicon, yes, “classical” music is a catch-all phrase to denote exactly what you’ve described here. However, I decided it would be a great idea* to get a bachelor of music degree to tell you that, apart from the popular lexical usage and in the context of formal study, classical music has a relatively set definition and is inclusive of something like the width and breadth of the European musical envelope of 18th Centur

i thought this whole issue was resolved simply by using a capital C if you are talking specifically about the Classical period and a lower case c if you are using the more broad definition

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I'm more into metal and hiphop for already about 35 years but I am very fond of Beethoven symphonies. Tried a lot of other classical stuff but nothing seems to hit like that for me somehow.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I miss the local radio station that would play classical music. Wasn't a listen to all the time station but god drat it would hit the spot sometimes.

Me too, do you live in/near St. Louis? We used to have a really good one back in the day.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I have the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange on vinyl and I listen to it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
not only a listener but donator to KING FM in Seattle for a few years now

when I drove way too much, it made for really nice driving music

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long

XYZAB posted:

I've often pondered the relationship between Ravel's Bolero and Ravel's progressive neuro-degenerative brain disorder that resulted in his death after watching this Nova documentary about it that I can only find this clip of here. I would urge anyone reading this to find it as it's very much worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT2hV8zh_7Y

Again, the pedant in me has to qualify that Ravel isn't technically classical music, as he was a 20th century composer, but I feel the above worth mentioning in this thread because I will never not listen to Bolero if it presents itself.

e: ^^^ :hfive:

The Radiolab podcast also did an episode on this story: https://radiolab.org/podcast/unraveling-bolero

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

redshirt posted:

What's that classical piece that's in a lot of movies about the devil and Satan? It's big and loud.

The alternative devil music is from Mozart, Dies Irae:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T7eMctuJLQ

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I know a fair bit of classical due to my training and occupation, but if you want to see the weird cult of classical worship, go to Vienna. It's like a religion, all these statues of guys who died in poverty after a life of struggle, now they charge 200 bucks to hear their music. I got bitched at for looking at my phone in the middle of the violin concerto. Cool it guys, it's just a song

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Sometimes I want to listen to classical music but nearly all recordings of it are mixed horribly and make it a pain to listen to. LIke you know the loudness war that ruined the sound of various pop music at one point? Where the waveform looks like a rectangle, there is no dynamic range, everything is equally loud, and sounds like mush? Classical music has the opposite problem. There's such a thing as too much dynamic range. They're desperately trying to recreate the concert hall experience in a recording, which simply doesn't work, instead of mixing it to work well as a recording. End result, you have to keep adjusting your volume during the song because at some points you can't hear poo poo and at other points your ears are exploding.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they play the classical rock station at some restaurants around here, and i heard goo goo dolls on there the other day, so i guess late 90s music is now in the classical genre

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't know why but "your music is a rectagle" sounds like a taunt that would start a throw of hands.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I only listen to it in the car, which is also the only setting where I listen to the billboard charts.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Dumb question perhaps: Is there an active scene of new classical music? People making it, and people listening to it? Going to concerts?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I used to go to the local symphony with my bros once in awhile when we were in our early 20s. It was mostly olds.

Can't go anymore because they declared bankruptcy.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I like a lot of Gilbert & Sullivan which is cool becuase its way too basic for Classical musical people and way too hoity toity for normal people

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

PS orchestra peeps hate being asked what covers they do and it is very funny.

I like to tell them their instruments are firewood, learned that from my jazz teach

redshirt posted:

Dumb question perhaps: Is there an active scene of new classical music? People making it, and people listening to it? Going to concerts?

Yes and it's unbearable

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 11, 2024

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I fell down a wormhole with Hildegard von Bingen a few years ago. This was a surprise to me as much as anyone - I’m an agnostic who mostly listens to ambient, house, electronica, metal, and future bass - but Bingen made beautiful music. It’s about time I dive back into her work again, but I will happily take suggestions on other medieval classical composers.

Or to step into modern classical. Yes, I like Philip Glass.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

redshirt posted:

I mean yeah, the same way that people are actively writing new plays, sculpting new pieces, painting, etc. The art form doesn't stop just because there isn't a mass audience for it. You just don't hear new classical pieces because, unless you're actively involved in the classical music scene, how would you? Orchestras occasionally play premieres and newer works, but aside from their pops concerts they're going to focus on playing music from the Baroque/Classical/Romantic Eras because that's what the dwindling audience they cater to wants to hear. Most of the kind of music you're thinking of lives only in academia now, so generally the only way you'll hear it live is if you've got a kid in a high school band or orchestra, or if you live near a university and go to their concerts.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Twinkle twinkle little star

I kid. Sometimes I really do jam out to long orchestrated peices. I like hearing the strings fight against the bronze section.

I just can't play to save my own rear end. It takes a lot of dedication to be good at an instrument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Trans-Siberian orchestra rocks my heart. Idk what it's considered, but they're good

This is also why I like Dream Theater and skip when they start singing, and listen to video game remixes. I don't want to hear your catterwailing, just give me the beats.

Treecko fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 11, 2024