Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like classical music, but then I enjoy all the types of music so it isn't surprising. I'm also learning violin and viola so obviously classical pieces come up there a lot.

Tell you what tho, some weird things. First, classical musicians loving love spouting the same audiophile poo poo as "regular" rock band style people, and if asked to prove anything they dismiss it the same, but if you point out they sound like a wanky guitarist they have this weird default to "well guitarists aren't *classical* musicians who are clearly a different type of person altogether" it's fucken weird.

Second is the moment I started looking into classical stuff suddenly my YouTube recommendations are trying to pitch me straight up right wing conservative channels. Like videos named poo poo like "the left is lying to all of us". I have never seen any of those recs until recently, it's loving weird.

Anyway, Vivaldi's Winter, first movement is a banger tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The definition of classical music is vague as hell anyway, given that a lot of the music self-identifying classical musicians play is from the romantic era, or baroque, along with classical and neoclassical/contemporary classical. Classical music just refers broadly to an orchestra based arrangement or a smaller arrangement of traditional orchestral instruments, playing in the style of.

It's kind of like how "classic rock" is a term for what people used to insist on a million different genre names for (and some still do).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

XYZAB posted:

In popular lexicon, yes, “classical” music is a catch-all phrase to denote exactly what you’ve described here. However, I decided it would be a great idea* to get a bachelor of music degree to tell you that, apart from the popular lexical usage and in the context of formal study, classical music has a relatively set definition and is inclusive of something like the width and breadth of the European musical envelope of 18th Century and then a little bit more until Beethoven died, and then other compositional styles break off and develop their own lineages from there, but unless you know why it’s different then it might as well all be called classical music. I exist in a state of knowing but not knowing if the person I’m talking to knows or cares. I also wish I did not know or care.

*It was decidedly not a great idea, and I would not recommend it.

I luckily didn't waste my time with a music degree (just a maths and physics degree that has been no use lol) but yeah, it's the weird thing of Classical is both a strict term denoting an era and specific composers, as well as a stylistic form of composition, but also it means "all old music".

And let's face it, when fans of classical music mean "all the old stuff" no one really wants to be the rear end in a top hat going "um, actually, Adagio for Strings was well after the classical era" any more than anyone wants to here someone argue about what genre Guns n Roses technically are lol

Which I guess is also funny that there's a tonne of great neoclassical composers but if you look at any orchestra performances most of them are the same, like, twenty dudes from the 1700-1800s. Like loads of amazing pieces from that time, but there's also things being done now that kind of gets swept aside.

PS orchestra peeps hate being asked what covers they do and it is very funny.