Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i do but pretty much only solo piano (chopin, rachmoninoff) or occasionally string quartets (usually newer composers like shostakovich or golijov). i dont really have the patience for symphonies or other big orchestral stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

The definition of classical music is vague as hell anyway, given that a lot of the music self-identifying classical musicians play is from the romantic era, or baroque, along with classical and neoclassical/contemporary classical. Classical music just refers broadly to an orchestra based arrangement or a smaller arrangement of traditional orchestral instruments, playing in the style of.

It's kind of like how "classic rock" is a term for what people used to insist on a million different genre names for (and some still do).

XYZAB posted:

In popular lexicon, yes, “classical” music is a catch-all phrase to denote exactly what you’ve described here. However, I decided it would be a great idea* to get a bachelor of music degree to tell you that, apart from the popular lexical usage and in the context of formal study, classical music has a relatively set definition and is inclusive of something like the width and breadth of the European musical envelope of 18th Centur

i thought this whole issue was resolved simply by using a capital C if you are talking specifically about the Classical period and a lower case c if you are using the more broad definition

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ralph Hurley posted:

Is opera part of classical music or is that a separate category?

An opera is a specific type of musical theatre. Most famous operas are from the classical period and were written by classical composers and so use those instruments. but they don't have to, people kept on writing operas up until modern times and you can also write an opera that uses e.g. rock instruments. thats probably not going to help you with your italian box set. maybe some wine might tho!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this is my favorite work for string quartet, well outside of the Classical period but also no longer modern, but imo still incredibly gripping and for being purely acoustic instruments its far heavier than a lot of music with distortion and amplifcation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjvTTfbpWjY