Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Just casually mentioning “night club mass shooting” as a normal thing that happens to people, america.txt. Glad he’s not seriously injured

Play posted:

Can't wait to see him playing.

Got bad news about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Glad he's alright. Now he gets to say "even bullets can't stop the Tank"

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dang that’s scary.

I didn’t even hear about this shooting on the news!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Dang that’s scary.

I didn’t even hear about this shooting on the news!

:911:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if a mass shooter can't even take down a 165lb WR he'll never start

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
16 year old kid https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/crime/2024/04/28/cabana-live-sanford-florida-mass-shooting-bar/73491239007/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Is it too soon to joke that Diggs will do anything to make sure he's WR1?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

pft so he's not even draft eligible. whoever's advising this kid is screwing up

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I liked Penix more than JJ, just not for a team that just paid Kirk Cousins

:stare:

Good he's ok at least

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Gonna have to cut that gunner from special teams.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Picking Penix to back up Kurt is a decent move. Signing him if you think he won't be healthy enough to play 1/10 of his contract before he even steps on the field is asinine

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Nervous posted:

Gonna have to cut that gunner from special teams.

Tank Dell is such a good receiver he was even able to catch some strays.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gets shot and walks out of the hospital the same day. Dude has got to play that up

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

indigi posted:

Picking Penix to back up Kurt is a decent move. Signing him if you think he won't be healthy enough to play 1/10 of his contract before he even steps on the field is asinine
Bruce Allen account spotted

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Free agents no longer count in the compensation formula so I’d imagine there’s a bunch of these signings coming.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1784719562820223436?s=46

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

It's funny that HBO decided to rebrand to Max which makes everyone over 35 think of Cinemax.

Random thought while watching basketball.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
June 2nd I’m expecting Miami to sign a starting guard

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Isn’t Sanford FL the same place Trayvon Martin was murdered?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blind Pineapple posted:

Isn’t Sanford FL the same place Trayvon Martin was murdered?

Yes

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Diva Cupcake posted:

Free agents no longer count in the compensation formula

Wait what?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

It's because they're free. No compensation.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I guess he meant the usual "free agents signed after the draft don't affect your comp picks that season", not that it will forever not count anymore

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://x.com/RNBWCV/status/1784675268193305036

Here's some dumb poo poo to argue about

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Football lockers need doors so they can shove guys like that in them

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Football lockers need doors so they can shove guys like that in them

Wrong. We need these guys during off-season so this doesn't become food chat and we can argue about fake ratings.

Lol at the former entity of SI being the only one that liked the Falcons draft. The other ratings make sense even the Cowboys' D+ (do something Jerry?) but someone clearly wants Engagement?

E: edited it to be nice because I don't know him enough to be mean, and I HAVE seen legit posts loving the Penix choice

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 29, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like Matt Verderame but lmao

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pittsburgh doing things the right way.

I take no pleasure in reporting this.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Pittsburgh doing things the right way.

I take no pleasure in reporting this.

If you want a vision of the future, just imagine the steelers finishing with a wildcard/divisional exit after an 11-6 regular season. It is 2376. Tomlin is still head coach.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Gets shot and walks out of the hospital the same day. Dude has got to play that up

Something, something…if you can catch a bullet, you can catch a football.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Isentropy posted:

Wrong. We need these guys during off-season so this doesn't become food chat

food chat rules

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Nervous posted:

If you want a vision of the future, just imagine the steelers finishing with a wildcard/divisional exit after an 11-6 regular season. It is 2376. Tomlin is still head coach.
This means that society is still intact enough to support football and Tomlin is still head coach for the next 352 years, both of which are good and I'll take it

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Play posted:

Totally agreed. I have no problem with it and I think the freak out around the Penix pick is pretty amusing.

They really really liked him, quarterback is the most important position in the game, Kirk is hurt and could be again, and I think the Falcons actually have a very good team already so giving up the eighth pick doesn't bother me. Simple as.

Can't wait to see him playing, I really hope he succeeds he's definitely my favorite qb prospect to root for.

If they were that concerned about the Kirk injury then they shouldn't have given him 100 million dollars guaranteed. Either you think your team is good enough to compete with a short term veteran upgrade at quarterback or you are building for long term, doing both is organizational malpractice.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grozz Nuy posted:

If they were that concerned about the Kirk injury then they shouldn't have given him 100 million dollars guaranteed. Either you think your team is good enough to compete with a short term veteran upgrade at quarterback or you are building for long term, doing both is organizational malpractice.

False logic imo. A team's goal is to win as many games as possible, now AND in the future.

The Falcons think Kirk gives them a good chance to win games in the short term, and Penix gives them a good chance to win games further in to the future.

This is extremely similar to the outcry that happened when the Packers drafted Jordan Love. Everyone freaked out about how they weren't giving Rodgers weapons and that it was ludicrous to try and plan for the future at the quarterback position instead of going all in now. Except the fact is the Packers were never going to the super bowl no matter what they did with that pick, and now they have a replacement at the most important position. I doubt those same people are quite as loud in their protestations now.

A lot of people have this silly idea that you should either be all in to get to a super bowl now, or you should be tanking. I reject that logic, I think being a consistently good team not only gives you a better chance to go to the postseason and maybe even the super bowl, but also earns money for the team because fans want to watch good football teams not lovely ones. It makes you an attractive destination for trades and free agents. It puts butts in seats and sells jerseys. Even without winning it all, being a good team is its own reward.

Finally, if they didn't spend that money on Kirk where would they spend it? Does it really matter otherwise? They'll be out of his contract shortly and I don't think it will cause a big problem for them cap-wise. So why not spend a good chunk on a (hopefully) very talented bridge quarterback?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Packers took Jordan Love at 26, not 8, and he's like a year older than Penix is now after four years in the league.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grozz Nuy posted:

The Packers took Jordan Love at 26, not 8, and he's like a year older than Penix is now after four years in the league.

To me, not relevant. If you think you've got a great QB prospect and you're in the place to take him, you have to shoot your shot.

I'm not taking a position on whether Michael Penix is that, although I do like him. But if they think he is, missing the opportunity is foolish. Just listen to all of the stories and justifications you've heard from teams around the league on why they failed to, or almost did, or wanted to, draft Patrick Mahomes. I wonder how many teams wish they had done that, but didn't because they 'already had a veteran quarterback' or 'weren't at the right phase of rebuilding to take a QB'. When really all that doesn't loving matter at all if you can get a future franchise quarterback.

In essence, I think even the CHANCE that Penix will turn out a great QB for them is worth more than any other player they could've taken at that spot. It may not work out, and certainly they are putting their jobs on the line, but the possibility is just too valuable.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
If they think Penix is that good and he doesn’t need as much time on the bench to cook as Love had then why bother signing Kirk to a $100M contract? They could’ve easily grabbed Brisset for 1yr, started Penix halfway through and spent the rest of that $100M on making Penix’s life as easy as humanly possible

The issue will always come down to opportunity cost. There’s nothing wrong with drafting a QB of the future while having a QB of the present on the roster but there is an opportunity cost to doing that. You are dedicating resources to a years long risky redundancy plan rather than to anything else. The Falcons started at 0 QBs worth starting this offseason, now they’ve wrapped up an enormous amount of resources in having 2 dudes who could both easily start next year. If they had traded down and then grabbed a QB with a later 1st it would’ve been crazy but made more sense bc the opportunity cost wouldn’t be as severe but a top 8 pick a loaded draft is a hefty price to pay for a long term gamble. It’s also not just the $100M contract and top 8 pick they’re balancing here it’s also the inevtiable picks they’re going to lose for tampering in order to sign Kirk. There’s a tremendous amount they’ve poured into a redundant solutions at QB rather than into any other area on the roster.

To me it reeks of bad process, they didn’t know they’d be as in love with Penix as they became either bc they did a terrible job of scouting him during the season (their loving job) or even worse got completely enamored with him in person after already coming to a conclusion earlier in the offseason that they didnt plan to draft him. Alternatively they signed Kirk thinking they’d get 2-3 years out of him and then came to realize his medicals were a lot worse than anticipated bc once again they did a bad job at their jobs before signing him.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, and they could have taken Odunze at 8, which helps Kirk immediately and the team overall regardless in the coming years once they do work toward a replacement QB after Kirk.

Instead, they've committed $100M guaranteed to Kirk, the tampering charges impact that you mentioned, and since I believe the first two years are guaranteed, they're basically burning one of the benefits of rookie QBs, in that the first 4-5 years are cap and roster-friendly, which in this case is basically being dedicated to Kirk.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If that tampering comes back as anything more than a 3rd this looks a lot worse imo.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Play posted:

To me, not relevant. If you think you've got a great QB prospect and you're in the place to take him, you have to shoot your shot.

Yeah but if you think the 24 year old 6-year college player is a great QB prospect you're probably not very good at drafting and should not, in fact, shoot that shot because the bullet is likely to land in your foot

e: actually I want to address this part too

Play posted:

In essence, I think even the CHANCE that Penix will turn out a great QB for them is worth more than any other player they could've taken at that spot. It may not work out, and certainly they are putting their jobs on the line, but the possibility is just too valuable.

People often discuss the draft like a lottery but in a really key important way it is not: all lottery tickets are equal in probability of winning the game, that is, each one has a 1 in whatever the total number of possible combos is of winning the jackpot.

NFL draftees are not like this at all. There are numerous contextual things such as age at time of drafting, college production, physical attributes as compared to others at the position, mental makeup, and injury history to name just a few that have dramatic effects on their chances of being successful. Many of these factors are at best guesswork, but generally speaking the 6 year starter who people react to with shock when he goes 8th is gonna have a much smaller chance of justifying that pick than the guy who's been talked about as a potential #1 pick since he was a freshman.

it might work out and feel free to save this post and rub it in my face when he's hoisting the 2029 Lombardi but I feel confident I will not have to deal with that.

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

I guess he meant the usual "free agents signed after the draft don't affect your comp picks that season", not that it will forever not count anymore

Yes that’s what I meant.

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1784892922430652643?s=46