Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Forrest on Fire posted:

And they have to either pay Chris Jones or replace the best player on their defense.

Which means it’s still either the same very young defense, 1-year older AND with Chris Jones, or a slightly less capable defense if Chris Jones leaves but still plenty of talent and room to grow.

They’ve won 3 in 5 years, which puts them in Cowboys and Patriots territory in terms of success, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Which means it’s still either the same very young defense, 1-year older AND with Chris Jones, or a slightly less capable defense if Chris Jones leaves but still plenty of talent and room to grow.

They’ve won 3 in 5 years, which puts them in Cowboys and Patriots territory in terms of success, lol.

I think this is a really rosy picture of how KC would look without Chris Jones. I don't think they'll pay him, he's a lot harder to replace than you're giving him credit for, and maybe any team in the AFC will get their poo poo together in the playoffs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It took the Pats another decade to win another after their first three, and lol Cowboys.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

I think this is a really rosy picture of how KC would look without Chris Jones. I don't think they'll pay him, he's a lot harder to replace than you're giving him credit for, and maybe any team in the AFC will get their poo poo together in the playoffs.

I don’t really disagree, but the same was said by some after the Patriots traded Chandler Jones to the Cardinals, and the Patriots just kinda kept chugging along…

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

I don’t really disagree, but the same was said by some after the Patriots traded Chandler Jones to the Cardinals, and the Patriots just kinda kept chugging along…

My guy Chris Jones and Chandler Jones don't play the same position or hold the same relevance to the defenses they played for.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They're both C. Jones, close enough.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/tracyfgsn/status/1757501735583752521?s=46

👀

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Its a little hard not to feel like that was the best chance for the team as it is currently composed. The cap situation becomes a lot more complicated after next year, even worse in 2026, and theyve played 9 extra games in the last 3 seasons. i know vegas has them as the favorites but i dont see how next year gets any easier.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

post hole digger posted:

Its a little hard not to feel like that was the best chance for the team as it is currently composed. The cap situation becomes a lot more complicated after next year, even worse in 2026, and theyve played 9 extra games in the last 3 seasons. i know vegas has them as the favorites but i dont see how next year gets any easier.

49ers are top heavy and getting old. Parity about to hit like a truck.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

49ers are top heavy and getting old. Parity about to hit like a truck.

Yeah, this next season is their last chance with the current roster. 2025 will be Brock Purdy playing with whoever they draft this year and next.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

My guy Chris Jones and Chandler Jones don't play the same position or hold the same relevance to the defenses they played for.

My man, no poo poo, I know they don’t play the same position, but if you don’t think that Chandler Jones also had significant play disruption impact that the Patriots immediately missed to some extent, then I don’t know what to tell you besides “watch the tape”.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Chiefs are in a pretty good spot to bring Chris Jones back. They're about $23m under the cap. Snead is probably going to be gone but most of the other free agents aren't guys who will break the bank or guys you need to get back. They have a bunch of options to restructure as well to generate more cap space.

Pending free agents:
G Nick Allegretti
TE Blake Bell
S Deon Bush
DL Michael Danna
S Mike Edwards
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire
QB Blaine Gabbert
LB Willie Gay Jr.
WR Mecole Hardman
WR Richie James
DT Chris Jones
RB Jerick McKinnon
DT Derrick Nnadi
OT Donovan Smith
CB L'Jarus Sneed
P Tommy Townsend
LB Drue Tranquill
OT Prince Tega Wanogho
LS James Winchester

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
I would think that the Chiefs would keep Sneed (or at least franchise tag him) over Jones. 3 years younger, and the temptation must be to keep the best secondary in the league together. Will probably be $10-15M APY cheaper than a Jones contract too.

With Chiefs' cap space. The 2 most obvious moves (Mahomes restructure and cutting MVS) frees up $47 million against 2024's cap so the Chiefs could potentially do anything in the off-season.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Speaking of Free Agency, when does the thread for that usually get posted?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Otoh Chris Jones is a super saiyan IDL and a pivotal piece of the defense. The only reason he hasn’t had more hype over his career is because it overlapped with Mr Aaron Donald

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Otoh Chris Jones is a super saiyan IDL and a pivotal piece of the defense. The only reason he hasn’t had more hype over his career is because it overlapped with Mr Aaron Donald

He's also been willing to play hardball with KC and doesn't seem like he's 100% set on re signing. There's another contender in Houston that would be willing to sign him, among other teams with the cap space to give him $35 million.

The cap isn't real though. If the Chiefs are willing to restructure contracts they can create plenty of space to keep Jones, sign a need in the FA market, and potentially contend with that defense.

Even in this hypothetical, the best defenses each year change more than offenses. The top defense is not static and depends on a ton of factors. KC could once again have an elite D, they could also have like the 20th.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1757522819808723248?s=20
https://x.com/PHLEaglesNation/status/1757545521483227345?s=20

Great guy

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mega64 posted:

It may be this thread or get posted when the period begins. I'll make a thread if no one else does because technically, you'll see rumblings, rumors, and/or leaked details of contracts during Combine week.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Be the change you wish to see in the forums.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

https://twitter.com/MongoFeliciano/status/1757568603333812623

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Imagine if they asked if his mom was a prostitute during draft interviews

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/fantasysource_/status/1757162483075183032?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Do people not remember the Deebo drama two years ago? Money talks, and I have no reason to believe a deal won't get done based on what Kyle and Lynch have said about Aiyuk.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/iamSauceGardner/status/1757588169158275381

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hahahahaha

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

this is the best

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chandler jones has been stabilized.

quote:

Over the past few months, I’ve been dealing with some personal matters, but I’m happy to share that I’m feeling much better now,” Jones wrote on X. “I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to my family, friends and fans for your unwavering love and support. Additionally, I want to offer a sincere apology to anyone I may have unintentionally offended. Your understanding and support mean the world to me.”

https://x.com/profootballtalk/status/1757912794467639311?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Is this the first we’ve heard from him? That’s a serious inpatient stint.

Vvvv yeah that’s fair

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 15, 2024

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I don't think it's fair to assume he was inpatient that entire time just because he didn't post on social media.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm glad he got help. I was kinda worried it was going to end in an OD or a hail of bullets after a lengthy stand off the way the dude was talking for a while there.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

man who was that bama linebacker on the raiders that went off the rails. i can't remember if he was on another team first or bounced around but i specifically remember him being on the raiders and kinda losing it

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

oh rolando mcclain. dang.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also Antonio Brown. Did the Richie Incognito stuff happen on the Raiders too or was that before?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Mega64 posted:

Also Antonio Brown. Did the Richie Incognito stuff happen on the Raiders too or was that before?

Miami

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mega64 posted:

The AB Raiders poo poo was child's play compared to where things went after. Like him being told he couldn't use his custom, unapproved helmet and then sneaking it back in badly painted in Raiders colors was legitimately funny (I can't tell if this really happened or not but it's definitely my head canon). Or giving himself severe frostbite doing cryotherapy wrong. It was only after they cut him that things somehow got more and more :stonk: every single week and escalated from wacky hijinks to sexual and physical assault, whipping his dick out in public, stiffing people for 6-7 figure payments, and so on

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1758204002196406316?s=20

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Good, we need a bridge QB for whatever prospect we draft.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nervous posted:

Good, we need a bridge QB for whatever prospect we draft.

Unless it’s like a round 4-7 dude, don’t bother taking a flyer on a qb imo. Seatte doesn’t have a second rounder this year. They’ll need every resource they have to build around Geno if they want to try and compete.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

between this and his recent soundcloud throwbacks Sauce is my favorite player in the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1758235298134151576?t=l-0Gv1-jx7qtp5f-bRcM4w&s=19

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1758233067926229425?t=BH62MHuebDo_3QGDMxKPQw&s=19