Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Niners better extend Aiyuk before camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

I mean, duh. If we eliminate the Vikings because neither team wants to be on the bad end of a trade that significant to a division rival, and Washington because they'll take whichever top QB prospect the Bears don't, the destinations for Fields that make sense are:

Falcons
Steelers
Raiders

big gap

Patriots if they don't like Daniels and/or get a juicy enough trade offer to trade back
Titans if the new coach doesn't believe in Levis
Seahawks if they want to move on from Geno

Everyone else either has an incumbent starter that they wouldn't be comfortable moving on from for either merit or cap reasons. I would be shocked if it weren't one of those first three teams. But you only need two interested teams to start a bidding war.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Silly Burrito posted:

I really hope the home team is playing.

(looks at Saints cap sheet)
(looks at Saints coaching staff)
(looks at Saints QB room)

Well... hope springs eternal

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Do people not remember the Deebo drama two years ago? Money talks, and I have no reason to believe a deal won't get done based on what Kyle and Lynch have said about Aiyuk.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Raiders fans absolutely claimed that McClain was good for a while

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I mean, there's effectively four options for the Raiders at QB, since I seriously doubt they're going to just roll with O'Connell for another year.

1. Trade a bunch of picks to move up to 3 or 4 to take whichever QB Chicago and Washington don't take with the first two picks. Probably not a good idea with all the roster needs the Raiders have.
2. Take a second-tier prospect like Penix or McCarthy or whoever at 13, or ideally a little later if they can swing a trade back.
3. Trade for Fields. Seems less likely now that they've hired Getsy but who knows, maybe they really loved what the 7-10 Bears did on offense last year and have to run that back.
4. Sign another veteran on the FA market. Cousins is obviously the best of the bunch but he's coming off major surgery and old and do you really want to break the bank for a guy who's probably not going to help your long-term competitiveness anyway? Assuming Baker doesn't leave Tampa, that leaves your next best options as Tannehill (also old, and much worse) and... Jacoby Brissett, I guess?

To me, trading back and trying to get some more picks to shore up the roster and then taking a chance on a guy like Penix is probably their best available option, but none of them are really choices you feel great about.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
There's zero indication that the Seahawks are moving on from Geno, so I didn't bother listing that as a possibility

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Lifespan posted:

The Seahawks will only move away from Geno if they want to commit to the tank (which I'm OK with actually) and save ownership some cash. Otherwise they have no reason to move him.

Ownership wants to stay competitive in the short term because they're about to sell, that's the entire reason Pete was fired in the first place. They're not going to get rid of Geno.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I also generally reject the idea that teams need a decent-ish starting qb to ensure that the team can ~*develop*~

Every position except pass catchers can have meaningful game time snaps to foster growth almost agnostic of qb quality.

If Seattle had a bunch of young receivers then maybe keeping Geno would be more value add to me, but they have two established good veteran WRs and also JSN.

What do you think? Does a team need a decentish “bridge” qb to help a team grow??

idk about two, Lockett was looking pretty washed for most of last season and that's probably not going to get better going forward

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
My understanding is that the directive was to sell the Seahawks and Blazers within a certain period of time after his death and use the proceeds to fund his charitable foundations and poo poo?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Saints could have ripped the bandage off and just gotten as much of their cap problems out of the way as soon as Brees retired regardless of the Payton situation, but they hosed around and kept kicking the can down the road and now they're stuck and not even bottoming out enough to get good draft picks out of their non-competitiveness. We should start a pool on how many more years it'll take for them to win a playoff game.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The NFC South aspect is why I specified playoff win rather than playoff berth. And yeah, Tampa won a game this season but only because they happened to draw a team that was actively imploding at the end of the season. Sure, weird upsets happen all the time, but I wouldn't put good odds on seeing it happen for them anytime soon.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

FizFashizzle posted:

love to leak friday afternoon news well into the offseason right before the combine to deflect blame from my wife.

https://x.com/avl_mike/status/1763653177642037666?s=20

Lots of rumors during the season and last offseason that Nicole had influence in the Panthers drafting Bryce.

Why is Tepper's wife so involved with football affairs that he feels the need to deflect blame from her in the first place?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Worth mentioning that the $85 million dollar cap hit Denver is taking by making this cut is more than double the previous highest dead money figure in league history

lmao Broncos

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

This has to be precursor to a trade, right? What good does having Burns play out a one-year tender next season do for the Panthers?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Ostentatious posted:

teams still haven't learned that of course a mediocre qb looks good on the goddamn niners i see

Darnold didn't even look good here, lol. I think he had maybe one decent drive in all of the non-kneeldown snaps he took?

In a vacuum this would seem like a good move for Carolina, but when's the last time the Steelers let a receiver go that wasn't a horrible disappointment to his next team?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Aaron Rodgers abandoning the Jets to run for Vice President would be god drat funny

I don't believe Rodgers would retire from his extremely lucrative football career to run for Vice President on a doomed presidential ticket. But I do believe Rodgers would like people to think he could have done that.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
"Oh yeah, Robert - that's Robert Kennedy Jr., by the way... He wanted me to run for office with him because he respected my bold vision so much, but I was just so committed to my career and winning football games that I had to turn him down." -Aaron Rodgers, during every party conversation until the day the earth finally boils

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I feel like a fool for even saying this because of how many times we've been through this cycle, but...

I kind of like what the Bears are doing this offseason

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I would expect that trades between division rivals are even rarer for quarterbacks than they are in general because neither side wants to take the chance of being the 'loser' in a deal involving the most important position in the sport.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Russell Wilson is still getting paid like 35 million dollars this season no matter what happens so Fields' situation is worse

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Pain of Mind posted:

I would have thought SEA and SF would have gone after the countries in Asia also, not just LAR.

The Niners bidding on the UK and Mexico makes sense, the York family also owns Leeds United now and I know they want to do a football/football weekend event the next time the Niners have a UK game. As for Mexico, aside from the obvious crossover with the Latino fanbase, the Mexico City game they played in 2022 was a huge hit, Shanahan and the players all loved it and said it felt like a home game for them so I have no doubt ownership wants to build on that.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
It's not like Allen's game has ever depended on top-tier athleticism in the first place. He's probably got at least one or two productive seasons left in him, and having a savvy vet security blanket guy will probably be extremely valuable for Caleb at the start of his career.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Aiyuk is not getting traded. It's funny how quickly people forgot that this exact saga happened two years ago with Deebo. The extension will get done, they just have to hammer out the structure.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Gatts posted:

I would like Herbert to win a superbowl. And the Chargers to move back to San Diego.

it's nice to want things

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Well, if you're going to have an international game it's probably best to get it out of the way in Week 1 when it's not going to gently caress up your rest schedule.

Curious to see the response they'll get from the locals.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Dramatika posted:

if Tim Tebow has a thought is it Christian Ponder

we'll never know

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Play posted:

Totally agreed. I have no problem with it and I think the freak out around the Penix pick is pretty amusing.

They really really liked him, quarterback is the most important position in the game, Kirk is hurt and could be again, and I think the Falcons actually have a very good team already so giving up the eighth pick doesn't bother me. Simple as.

Can't wait to see him playing, I really hope he succeeds he's definitely my favorite qb prospect to root for.

If they were that concerned about the Kirk injury then they shouldn't have given him 100 million dollars guaranteed. Either you think your team is good enough to compete with a short term veteran upgrade at quarterback or you are building for long term, doing both is organizational malpractice.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Packers took Jordan Love at 26, not 8, and he's like a year older than Penix is now after four years in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I mean, it's not hard to tell what the logo is meant to depict.