Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Anderson Koopa posted:

Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe are probably available.

Neither of these guys is an upgrade to O'Connell, or a marginal one at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

indigi posted:

that Von Miller deal is so crazy. every team should get one or two "my bad" chips per decade they can use to clear a player's salary from the cap (and of course the revenue split, they'd be accounted as FO/staff and thus wouldn't take away from the players' pool), but they still have to pay the contract/negotiate a buyout

Nah, I'm a Bills fan and even though I'd like them to be able to get out of it, teams gotta eat their stupid mistakes. Don't sign players to big guaranteed deals if you aren't willing to pay the price of loving it up.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Professor Funk posted:

I don't think Kyler is a fantastic QB but I also feel like he's on the verge of becoming criminally underrated. It won't be easy to replace him.

And Kyler definitely is not the most pressing issue in Arizona. They have so many positions to fill up, so they might as well keep him for the next 2-3 years since he has that contract anyways.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Like 3 additional firsts, or counting Minnesota's pick (#11 I think) + 2 future 1sts?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

Did I read that right? The bills released five defensive backs? Are they just done?

Bills had two choices.
Somehow do crazy restructuring and keep most of the current old guard, try for one more shot with the team that keeps falling short and just hope that things fall their way with an even older team (and then be in Saints cap hell for the next half decade).
Or do a soft rebuild, get the defense younger and in shape with future cap space for another potential half decade of chances, as long as Allen doesn't die.

I think it's the right choice, the same team but older and more expensive wasn't gonna go the distance in 2024 without having the Chiefs luck.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

I like Burrow but I do wonder if he'll ever be the same after that injury

Which one?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Leaving the game relatively healthy, young, rich, with a ring, and basically guaranteed first ballot HOF accolades is about the most perfect career one could have in the NFL.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Docjowles posted:

I’m reminded of Megatron’s insane fingers that like form right angles. Goes without saying but the game fucks you up bad. Totally understandable to want to get out, not like Donald has a single thing left to prove. Other than trying to be the first defensive MVP since LT but seems unlikely that’s ever happening again

Yeah, last season shows that to have a defensive MVP you have to have an all-time great season while hoping not a single QB has a moderately good season (or hope at least that they all suck for the last 4 weeks of the year).

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

God, that Claypool trade has to be one of the most baffling decisions by an NFL team ever. The next best thing to a 1st round pick for a 1 year rental of at best a mid WR (and turned out even worse) for a team nowhere near ready to really compete.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

I mean as a chiefs fan everybody’s playing for second in my mind but for quality players balanced against investment? What a ridiculous coup

As a Chiefs hater its hard to disagree with this. Bengals might be able to do it if Burrow stays healthy. Ravens have the people but failed miserably at actually doing it. Bills are doing at least a soft rebuild on defense and have the Bills luck anyways so no chance. If Stroud takes a further step forward and the offense stays healthy, the Texans might be a surprise upset potential though.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

The337th posted:

4th and XX attempts would be infinitely better at whatever yardage. I'd rather watch a 4th and 25 in place of a modern onside, even though the odds for converting would be just as horrible.

At least you'd be watching a real football play and not a gimmick kick that's been officiated into stupidly low odds that rob it of even having the fun of being an oddity in the sport.

It's hard for coaching to give much of an edge to extreme luck on a football trick shot and hoping the receiving team just has a terrible hands moment.

The biggest issue with 4th and whatever as a replacement is penalties. You can just see a QB getting touched the wrong way and suddenly that 4th and 25 is an automatic 1st. Or you get an underthrown ball that the WR comes back through a back on.

You'd have to somehow either formally change the rules (no automatic 1sts penalties) or at least have them reffed differently, kind of like how you don't really get PI calls on hail Mary plays.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Kalli posted:

There's all sorts of fascinating stuff with this play. Like I presume wedges are illegal, but can you move around pre-ball landing as long as you keep your feet on your line? Can you pass teammates?

No. I can't find the exact text, but the NFL bullet points state that the 10 kicking team players have to line up with one foot on the 40 yard line and can't move until the ball is caught or touches the ground, and all players in the setup zone (9 or 10 players on the receiving team) can't move either. Only the returner(s) can move prior to the kick landing.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m somewhat skeptical that this turns kickoffs into an actual play.

The receiving team is required to have most of their blockers on the 35 yard line.

The new touchback distance is the 30 yard line.

Unless the kicking team has a very good kicker (and a better special team, generally), it seems like booting it through the end zone would be the safest play.

Whatchu think? We still mainly gonna see touchbacks?

I was a bigger fan of the original version of the rule before it was modified (it was first introduced as using the 35 yard line for touchbacks that don't hit the landing zone). I don't think we will necessarily see mostly touchbacks like now, but it does mean that if one team/returner gets a reputation as being pretty drat good, that team is probably not gonna see many non-touchbacks. We also are gonna see mostly touchbacks from leading teams as it gets late - 5 yards closer is safer than the risk of a big return/TD.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Kurgarra Queen posted:

IIRC, the cap implications make that impossible.

Yeah, Saints have backed themselves into a corner. If they cut the people they need to do a tear down, the cap hit acceleration means they need to cut even more people, which then accelerates cap hits even further, etc. The tear down is gonna take like 2-3 years minimum instead of just ripping off the bandage now.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Honestly don't care who was driving, if you as a group decide to race on a public road, you should all eat the charges not just the driver.

Obviously there are cases where the driver does it on his own initiative which is different, but gently caress people using a public highway to show off like this.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

What was going on with Diggs in the locker room that the Bills bailed on him? He was still really productive I thought.

His 2023 numbers look alright in total (just under 1200 yards), but there was something wrong with him for most of the season - after Week 6, he averaged like 50-60 yards a game. And he's been making noise about leaving for the last two years - its hard to tell how much of that was carrying into the locker room, but he was often pretty steamed up on the sidelines when things went wrong, and every offseason has been an adventure.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Grozz Nuy posted:

Well, if you're going to have an international game it's probably best to get it out of the way in Week 1 when it's not going to gently caress up your rest schedule.

Curious to see the response they'll get from the locals.

It's also not a significant time zone shift, so players shouldn't have any real issue (other than a longer flight I guess).

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

He doesn't bother me much and he was an absolute legend of a player but I'm just like, who cares enough about Gronk the person to have him throw out first pitches years after he retired?

The USAA commercials are an absolute crime against humanity as well

There's 2430 MLB games a year just in the regular season, it's not like its a highly restricted honor to throw a first pitch.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

On paper the Chargers look pretty good and may actually have a chance to be 1st in the AFCW.

Then the playoffs will happen and the team will get crushed by some real Patrick Mahomes Bullshit™️ throwing to a guy they literally signed off the street in week 15.

They barely have any receiving core anymore (obviously will change somewhat with the draft), they had a defense last year that ranked somewhere around 28th in the league (28th in passing yards allowed, 30th in rushing yards allowed, 24th in points allowed), and we still have to find out how Harbaugh will work with Herbert in the offensive design.

What aspect of them feels like a "pretty good" team, much less one to take the AFCW?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Black Lions unis veer too far into Panthers territory for me, not sure I'd want that association right now.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sunday Morning posted:

LOL

There are Bills fans losing their poo poo over this trade and all I can think is KC giving up trade capital for yet another in a long line of mediocre WR picks.

Seriously, its bizarre. The only way the Bills could have stopped the Chiefs drafting Worthy would have been to take him themselves, and clearly the Bills did not rank him that high. Drafting him purely out of spite might have been satisfying to some fans, but that's not a good way to run a team.

And the consensus is that there are still 3+ high quality guys left - the Chiefs would have drafted a good WR prospect no matter the Bills did.

Pre-draft, the consensus was that the Bills would likely draft a quality receiver at 28. Instead they are likely drafting a quality receiver at 33 and got a couple extra rounds of value from some of their late picks. The only thing of note is that the Bills don't have a 5th year option for who they get. If they work out, a 5th year option isn't needed to give the guy a contract, or they can tag him (which basically costs the same as the 5th-year for a good WR).

The gnashing of teeth around how dare the Bills even think about trading with the Chiefs is insane.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Oh I don’t disagree. I was just responding to the discussion above. I think it’s reasonable to think Penix may play this year.

Why not?

If you don’t have a qb and could magically get Josh Allen or Trevor Lawrence for two years, but he has to miss the first September, do you reject the opportunity?

Personally, I would take the upgrade at QB but maybe I’m just built different (FORD tough).

If I'm getting Josh Allen in October, I'm not drafting a QB at 8, I'm signing a bridge QB thats a decent backup QB for maybe 5-10 mill that can hopefully win 1-2 games and be competitive.

Getting Penix at 8 isn't like a crazy move on its own (it's a reach, but if they didn't have a starting QB, its a reach that makes sense, like the Broncos getting Bo Nix). It just makes not much sense when combined with the Cousins contract. Especially not when the GM/coach come out and say they think they are in win now mode and thus won't have high picks for the next few years. If you are in win now, there's so much talent there at 8 that would actually help you win.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Play posted:

This is extremely similar to the outcry that happened when the Packers drafted Jordan Love. Everyone freaked out about how they weren't giving Rodgers weapons and that it was ludicrous to try and plan for the future at the quarterback position instead of going all in now. Except the fact is the Packers were never going to the super bowl no matter what they did with that pick, and now they have a replacement at the most important position. I doubt those same people are quite as loud in their protestations now.

The Packers in the two years after they drafted Jordan Love lost in the NFC championship by less than one score (31-26) and lost in the divisional round by only 3 points (13-10). It's really not hard to imagine a 1st round pick making a difference and getting the Packers to the Superbowl. So your assertion that they were never going to the Superbowl when they had the back to back MVP as their QB is crazy. Of course it's not guaranteed, but that draft may easily have cost them a shot or two at a ring.

Yeah, it's working out now because Jordan Love is surprisingly working out fine. But to assert that there was no opportunity cost to using a 1st round pick on a QB that rode the bench for years is crazy.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Who is going to win the Sutton sweepstakes? I think he ends up on the Bills.

How much cap space would he be due on the new team? Bills are under right now, but barely, and I don't know if that includes rookie signings. Patriots feel much more likely, they need WR to work with their new QB and they have a fuckton of cap space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

No way Claypool makes it to the final roster, I'll be loving pissed. Training camp body only at this point.